Let’s say the company wants to discipline for not drinking 3 gallons of water, what are you going to do ? (On Topic Only)

Integrity

Binge Poster
The following question was asked in another thread and I thought it might make for interesting discussion:

So the company deems one of your members did not drink 3 gallons of water and they initiated progressive discipline on him or her.

As a steward, how would you handle this attempt to discipline your member?

As a rank and file member how would you expect your shop steward to handle this?

oldngray

nowhere special
z-memess-186.jpg

DELACROIX

In the Spirit of Honore' Daumier
The following question was asked in another thread and I thought it might make for interesting discussion:

So the company deems one of your members did not drink 3 gallons of water and they initiated progressive discipline on him or her.

As a steward, how would you handle this attempt to discipline your member?

As a rank and file member how would you expect your shop steward to handle this?

What comes in must go out...💦

Are they going to discipline if you have to pee?

Interpretation please...😎

542thruNthru

Not a steward but I'd laugh and say

"Sure write him up and we'll file the grievance. When we take this before panel I'm sure we'll all be anxiously waiting to see your proof of failure to drink 3 gallons of water a day."

Honestly this is the stupidest what if I've ever heard.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
Not a steward but I'd laugh and say

"Sure write him up and we'll file the grievance. When we take this before panel I'm sure we'll all be anxiously waiting to see your proof of failure to drink 3 gallons of water a day."

Honestly this is the stupidest what if I've ever heard.

I’m curious, do stewards discipline their members?

Thebrownblob

What I’m going to do, is hand the member A grievance. There’s no possible way management could discipline you and have it stick. There’s no possible way they could know if you actually drank 3 gallons of water. Unless of course they watch you all day which also would be another grievance for over supervision. Providing you the water and telling you have to drink it are not the same thing. I have drivers who will refuse to get water out of the ice and water machines because it’s on UPS property and they’re confident it’s not clean enough even though there’s a service that comes in. They get their own water because that makes them feel better and they don’t trust UPS any further and they control them.

Thebrownblob

No worries lol. The question he proposed makes no sense so it's easy to get confused. :)
Of course everyone assumes ‘let’s make a deal’ is happening in the office or in the conference room. Most likely we’re arguing vehemently or deciding on lunch. They’re both pretty important.

542thruNthru

Of course everyone assumes ‘let’s make a deal’ is happening in the office or in the conference room. Most likely we’re arguing vehemently or deciding on lunch. They’re both pretty important.
That and also that the steward can literally stop discipline just because he/she says they can't issue it per the contract.

That's what the grievance process is for.

Thebrownblob

I actually borrowed the concept of the question from a similar question posed to me in a different thread.

What part of the question makes no sense?
The part where Steward might agree with management, even as a “last resort” because there is no last resort in this particular situation. There’s no possible way management could know. Are they also checking urine color?