Let’s say the company wants to discipline for not drinking 3 gallons of water, what are you going to do ? (On Topic Only)

qdg2

We’ve actually had this happen before.
Driver was being followed and seen going into a gas station and not clocking out to go piss.
We don’t have to clock out to go to the bathroom.
Driver constantly files harassment on them now.
And what happened?

He was seen and....?

Fido

Don’t worry he’s friendly
And what happened?

He was seen and....?
Is it obvious? They tried to hit him for stealing time. They saw him go into there and come out after a while. Came out with a drink. Drink was given as courtesy while he was leaving.

Fido

Don’t worry he’s friendly
Obvious, no...

So, what happened?

In the end....nothing?
Suspension was issued. Union got fully involved. Person got their suspension removed with 3 days of back pay. Management crazy enough to go through with asking clerk at corner store what driver was doing.

qdg2

Suspension was issued. Union got fully involved. Person got their suspension removed with 3 days of back pay. Management crazy enough to go through with asking clerk at corner store what driver was doing.
So, it shouldn't happen again.....right? And the union put out a memo to pee/hydrate when you need to....right?

Thebrownblob

So, it shouldn't happen again.....right? And the union put out a memo to pee/hydrate when you need to....right?
The situation he’s referring to would obviously show you the company admits wrongdoing or they wouldn’t have given him backpay, The union is not going to put out a memo to pee and hydrate those are common sense items and I would agree that there are some members who would abuse what they thought a memo like that meant.

qdg2

The situation he’s referring to would obviously show you the company admits wrongdoing or they wouldn’t have given him backpay, The union is not going to put out a memo to pee and hydrate those are common sense items and I would agree that there are some members who would abuse what they thought a memo like that meant.
Yet, he was suspended......

Why is that?

Why you covering for mgt? Seems to me...

A district wide memo of understanding(both sides) would clear all of this up forever.....prosecute the thieves on an individual basis.

Thebrownblob

Yet, he was suspended......

Why is that?

Why you covering for mgt? Seems to me...

A district wide memo of understanding(both sides) would clear all of this up forever.....prosecute the thieves on an individual basis.
What are you talking about ?
How am I covering for Management?
It’s not my fault you’ve been here for 40 years and don’t understand how the grievance procedure works. Kind of pathetic in my opinion but not entirely unbelievable.

The company can take you out of service for any ridiculous reason they want if they choose. 17 I comes to mind in the central language it’s pretty much a BS we can fire you for whatever we want.
My job is to prove that they’re wrong.
The fun starts when we have a hearing and turns out they had no just cause and now are incurring liability if you’re off work because they took you out of service for a reason that is not legitimate.

That’s exactly what it sounds like happened here. he got a few days of paid thanks to the good union representation, and management stupidity.

Maybe if you knew the first thing about what you were talking about it would be helpful but seems to me you don’t.

Keep talking trash to me I will cut you up one way and down the other because you have no idea what you’re talking about you’re just a grouchy old bitter man. Who also likes to talk about things he doesn’t know about.

Last edited:

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
The following question was asked in another thread and I thought it might make for interesting discussion:

So the company deems one of your members did not drink 3 gallons of water and they initiated progressive discipline on him or her.

As a steward, how would you handle this attempt to discipline your member?

As a rank and file member how would you expect your shop steward to handle this?
"Flood" the sup with pics of nice jugs?

Integrity

Binge Poster
I understand you point but our Local Officials wouldn’t get drawn into this because they don’t have to.

My Local has an interesting foundational approach that I agree with and I have used throughout my career. They always say the best way to facilitate change at UPS and keep them on the defense is to do everything exactly as you are trained. There it is already understood that every employee pee/hydrate as they are trained.

It is when you cut corners as local management frequently tries to get you to do that trouble comes.

They are great at defending individuals when trouble comes but there approach has not made me well liked by management but it has kept me free from trouble.

Integrity

Binge Poster
"Flood" the sup with pics of nice jugs?

414E4E05-9CEC-4BB3-BB0F-38EE6A37B9FF.jpeg

Nice jugs.

Thebrownblob

I understand you point but our Local Officials wouldn’t get drawn into this because they don’t have to.

My Local has an interesting foundational approach that I agree with and I have used throughout my career. They always say the best way to facilitate change at UPS and keep them on the defense is to do everything exactly as you are trained. There it is already understood that every employee pee/hydrate as they are trained.

It is when you cut corners as local management frequently tries to get you to do that trouble comes.

They are great at defending individuals when trouble comes but there approach has not made me well liked by management but it has kept me free from trouble.
The key phrase is the methods are your friend If you follow them chances are no discipline will happen and if it does it won’t stick.