Local 25 Teamsters borderline criminal act?

How do you feel about this situation?

• Total voters

542thruNthru

Bulllllll:censored2:.

In 20+ years, 9 as a steward before I transferred I never saw one single person with a dues mistake get a dime back. I can't tell you how many times local 959 has made a mistake and took double from people, and no one ever got a dime back.

I'm sorry your local sucks.

Feederquacker

L
Working a union job and they shouldn't have to pay dues? That's freeloading. It isn't right that their whole check is gone but UPS dropped the ball on that one./QUOTE]

Nope. Not freeloading. Not even close. The problem with your point of view is the idea that a seasonal worker owes the Union anything. Maybe they will be employed by UPS after and maybe they won’t. Either way you are saying they owe the Union $500 for the privilege to go to work. Plus you are implying they should be grateful for the opportunity to work here and they shouldn’t complain about paying into the Union even if they don’t come back after peak. They shouldn’t have to pay :censored2: until they are going to gain seniority. Not to mention there is virtually zero protections for seasonal workers. In over 25 years I’ve never seen the Union go to bat for a peak hire. But here’s one for ya...... if they don’t come back after peak, will the Union give them their money back? The answer is not just no but HELL NO!!

542thruNthru

One step closer 2 you my friend

ba69f4b2a82259c286202043cf48b680.gif

Peak Cardboard

Either way, it seems that none of us truly know what happened and at the end of the day it seems that both the union and ups are at fault for letting this happen.

Could a moderator delete this thread?
I know very well what happened... The company screwed up and screwed workers. Not shocking. The company ought to pay the workers that money back themselves since they didn’t take it out on time and it was contractually owed. I know stewards who asked casuals/seasonals every week for the last two almost 3 WEEKS since thanksgiving “hey are your dues getting taken out? Cause if not watch out.” And everyone yes’d them to death and now the chickens have come home to roost in the form of UPS playing the grinch.
For those that are crying foul and blaming the union remember this: the union submits (likely automated/computer generated) spreadsheets to the COMPANY as to what is owed... it is then the COMPANY’S duty to properly deduct and remit what is contractually owed. The union can’t deduct anything out of your checks. Only the company can and they did... Late and in bulk. So let’s not be blaming the union for this because if casuals didn’t pay dues and have a chance to make book, UPS would use them 24/7 and everyone on here would be out a good union job.

F

Frankie's Friend

L
Working a union job and they shouldn't have to pay dues? That's freeloading. It isn't right that their whole check is gone but UPS dropped the ball on that one./QUOTE]

Nope. Not freeloading. Not even close. The problem with your point of view is the idea that a seasonal worker owes the Union anything. Maybe they will be employed by UPS after and maybe they won’t. Either way you are saying they owe the Union $500 for the privilege to go to work. Plus you are implying they should be grateful for the opportunity to work here and they shouldn’t complain about paying into the Union even if they don’t come back after peak. They shouldn’t have to pay :censored2: until they are going to gain seniority. Not to mention there is virtually zero protections for seasonal workers. In over 25 years I’ve never seen the Union go to bat for a peak hire. But here’s one for ya...... if they don’t come back after peak, will the Union give them their money back? The answer is not just no but HELL NO!!
They've had to refund all the dues and initiation fees here so much that they quit charging then until they end up retained or called back for a permanent job.

Peak Cardboard

This post isn't arguing against paying a union initiation fee or dues. I believe this job should be unionized. My only issue was that THEY decided to take peoples entire pay checks the first week of the month a few weeks before Christmas.

Other than that, the benefits which come with being represented by the union sound good. Health care and pensions are great, but to take some ones entire paycheck without notifying them before sounds a bit messed up... I think this is something we can all agree on

The THEY you speak of is the company.

F

Frankie's Friend

I know very well what happened... The company screwed up and screwed workers. Not shocking. The company ought to pay the workers that money back themselves since they didn’t take it out on time and it was contractually owed. I know stewards who asked casuals/seasonals every week for the last two almost 3 WEEKS since thanksgiving “hey are your dues getting taken out? Cause if not watch out.” And everyone yes’d them to death and now the chickens have come home to roost in the form of UPS playing the grinch.
For those that are crying foul and blaming the union remember this: the union submits (likely automated/computer generated) spreadsheets to the COMPANY as to what is owed... it is then the COMPANY’S duty to properly deduct and remit what is contractually owed. The union can’t deduct anything out of your checks. Only the company can and they did... Late and in bulk. So let’s not be blaming the union for this because if casuals didn’t pay dues and have a chance to make book, UPS would use them 24/7 and everyone on here would be out a good union job.
Many of these seasonals are just looking for extra money for Christmas gifts and when they lose so much of their checks to dues and fees they feel kicked in the stomach. It's not why they came to work there in the first place.

tiknan_tono

Hello,

My name is Austin and I just recently started working as a seasonal part-time package handler for a UPS facility in Massachusetts back in late October. When I was hired the company had made it clear to me on my first day that the job was seasonal, however, I would still need to begin paying an initiation fee to the Local 25 Teamsters Union. The initiation fee is $500.

On my first day I was provided with union paperwork which I read thoroughly and signed off on. In the paper work it stated that the initiation fee was $500, however the Teamsters recognized that a part-time employee is financially unable to pay $500 upfront, so the fee was broken down into 15 and a half weeks of 32$ payments.

To mine surprise, when I received my pay check today it stated $0. At first I thought it was a mistake, but then other employees started expressing similar concerns saying either the majority or the entirety of their paycheck had been drained, even their attendance bonuses. In my paystub it clearly stated that the entire amount of my paycheck was deducted for Union dues.

Now this is where it gets interesting. Upon everyone receiving their paychecks, a mob began to form in the middle of the building, all employees upset that their entire pay checks had been drained due two union dues. It also appeared that no one seemed to know why this had happened.

Upon speaking with management, they had assured us that they had no idea that this was going to happen and that for the last 20 years an event like this had never taken place before. They then went on to say that union dues had always been taken out in incremental amounts until completed, never has employees checks been completely drained.

Management then referred employees affected by this issue to their union stewards. Now the mob switched their attention from management to the stewards standing by. The stewards seemed to have no idea that this was going to happen and could offer no explanation. Some of them even tried to shift the blame from the Union to UPS and Human Resources. After the crowd calmed down, we were given the Union Halls number which I immediately picked up my phone and called.

A women picked up and assured me that she had been receiving calls all day regarding the issue and could do nothing for me but take my name and number and refer it to the business rep. She said that the contract states that after 31 days the union has the right to take any remaining dues in full. I then proceeded to tell her that in the paper work I signed states the fee would be broken down into payments. To that, she had no comment. I then asked her who in the Union made this decision and she said that she did not know, but she felt terrible for those employees.

Now, the reason why I am on Browncafe today is to see if anyone else from another Union did or has experienced a similar issue before? It seems to me almost criminal to take someone's entire weeks pay check at the beginning of the month when bills are due, just a few weeks before Christmas, especially when they are seasonal employees and will most likely never be able to take advantage of the benefits. For me, it wasn't as much of a big deal because I have a full-time job during the day and only picked up this job to help make some additional income for the holiday season and get in shape. I saw one employee crying because she had children at home to feed and was living paycheck to paycheck.

I also did a little research on Google and found an article from November 2018 stating that the Local 25 teamsters union was $5B in debt for their pension plan. Maybe there is a link between this event?

Please no trolls!

So ups pays the union through electronic injection via the TITAN system. When UPS hired you, the clock started running down on your thirty day free period. What this translates to is if UPS hired you in the middle of October, but you did not start working until November, there is no way for the union to know this; your dues would start coming out for November. So take $22.00 in dues and tack on two $36.00 payments for initiation and there goes your check. It is a major flaw in the system. I am against seasonal employees paying initiation, but I do think you should pay dues. A nice little compromise. Unfortunately this is a fairly commmon issue and can be remedied by contacting the secretary-treasurer, in your case Thomas Mari.

Preventable

This actually kind of makes me sick to my stomach... The mental gymnastics required to justify this (most of you agree thankfully) are kind of ridiculous. Making whatever wages they are, a lot of them are barely scrapping by. Imagine if you had $0 paycheck, how would that affect your life? I got lucky and I am very financially sound right now throwing money around like there is no tomorrow (dumb I know), but 2 years ago not getting a paycheck= past due on electricity, water, gas etc late on rent then its a $75 dollar late fee, LOL at you guys talking about Christmas presents... I hope these guys don't have kids that need to be fed.

Peak Cardboard

Many of these seasonals are just looking for extra money for Christmas gifts and when they lose so much of their checks to dues and fees they feel kicked in the stomach. It's not why they came to work there in the first place.

And it’s UPS’s fault for not taking it out properly cause these seasonals (some repeats) were well aware of it coming in. This is not the local’s fault. The company screwed this up-they’ve done it in the past as well.

wide load

Starting wage is a waste of time.
Local 25 is a criminal organization
Oh please. *. You clowns love to harp on a clerical error as criminal activity. The facts are, the people in HR are just going with the flow. They aren’t distinguishing between a regular hire and seasonal. Don’t you find it odd that it’s happening in the same division? Same HR people. Multiple buildings with 2 different locals. But yet this is all Sean’s fault? Are you the scarecrow from the wizard of oz?

Last edited by a moderator:
F

Frankie's Friend

So ups pays the union through electronic injection via the TITAN system. When UPS hired you, the clock started running down on your thirty day free period. What this translates to is if UPS hired you in the middle of October, but you did not start working until November, there is no way for the union to know this; your dues would start coming out for November. So take $22.00 in dues and tack on two $36.00 payments for initiation and there goes your check. It is a major flaw in the system. I am against seasonal employees paying initiation, but I do think you should pay dues. A nice little compromise. Unfortunately this is a fairly commmon issue and can be remedied by contacting the secretary-treasurer, in your case Thomas Mari.
They are flagged as seasonal from the get go here.
And it’s UPS’s fault for not taking it out properly cause these seasonals (some repeats) were well aware of it coming in. This is not the local’s fault. The company screwed this up-they’ve done it in the past as well.
The paycheck debacle is ongoing for seniority employees as well. But are the supes that work paying union dues too???
We had two supes sent to LouKy to work. One in the Centennial Hub this summer and one just got back from delivering down there. Are they paying union dues??? I think not.

Imo the employees that attain seniority should pay the fees and dues. In the case where they get representation it is a different issue.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
I agree.

If you working in a union shop, doing union work for union scale, you should pay monthly dues.

....but to "initiate" someone before they gain seniority is more aptly termed as hazing.

F

Frankie's Friend

I agree.

If you working in a union shop, doing union work for union scale, you should pay monthly dues.

....but to "initiate" someone before they gain seniority is more aptly termed as hazing.
Let's make sure the management is paying dues and initiation fees when they work at peak as well.
What was that description???
"Low hanging fruit ".

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
Let's make sure the management is paying dues and initiation fees when they work at peak as well.

That's a nice thought, but the reality is different.

Supervisors working during peak, is the result of a few things:

1) The company intentionally understaffing the operation.

Based on how many people you see taking the tour, that's not reality.

2) People signing up to "double shift" and not showing up.

Happens every Saturday and Sunday sort.

3) Part-time employee's that don't realize.. during peak.. it's not part-time.

Hence the reason, for overtime.

-Bug-

zjchrissy

Hello,

My name is Austin and I just recently started working as a seasonal part-time package handler for a UPS facility in Massachusetts back in late October. When I was hired the company had made it clear to me on my first day that the job was seasonal, however, I would still need to begin paying an initiation fee to the Local 25 Teamsters Union. The initiation fee is $500.

On my first day I was provided with union paperwork which I read thoroughly and signed off on. In the paper work it stated that the initiation fee was $500, however the Teamsters recognized that a part-time employee is financially unable to pay $500 upfront, so the fee was broken down into 15 and a half weeks of 32$ payments.

To mine surprise, when I received my pay check today it stated $0. At first I thought it was a mistake, but then other employees started expressing similar concerns saying either the majority or the entirety of their paycheck had been drained, even their attendance bonuses. In my paystub it clearly stated that the entire amount of my paycheck was deducted for Union dues.

Now this is where it gets interesting. Upon everyone receiving their paychecks, a mob began to form in the middle of the building, all employees upset that their entire pay checks had been drained due two union dues. It also appeared that no one seemed to know why this had happened.

Upon speaking with management, they had assured us that they had no idea that this was going to happen and that for the last 20 years an event like this had never taken place before. They then went on to say that union dues had always been taken out in incremental amounts until completed, never has employees checks been completely drained.

Management then referred employees affected by this issue to their union stewards. Now the mob switched their attention from management to the stewards standing by. The stewards seemed to have no idea that this was going to happen and could offer no explanation. Some of them even tried to shift the blame from the Union to UPS and Human Resources. After the crowd calmed down, we were given the Union Halls number which I immediately picked up my phone and called.

A women picked up and assured me that she had been receiving calls all day regarding the issue and could do nothing for me but take my name and number and refer it to the business rep. She said that the contract states that after 31 days the union has the right to take any remaining dues in full. I then proceeded to tell her that in the paper work I signed states the fee would be broken down into payments. To that, she had no comment. I then asked her who in the Union made this decision and she said that she did not know, but she felt terrible for those employees.

Now, the reason why I am on Browncafe today is to see if anyone else from another Union did or has experienced a similar issue before? It seems to me almost criminal to take someone's entire weeks pay check at the beginning of the month when bills are due, just a few weeks before Christmas, especially when they are seasonal employees and will most likely never be able to take advantage of the benefits. For me, it wasn't as much of a big deal because I have a full-time job during the day and only picked up this job to help make some additional income for the holiday season and get in shape. I saw one employee crying because she had children at home to feed and was living paycheck to paycheck.

I also did a little research on Google and found an article from November 2018 stating that the Local 25 teamsters union was $5B in debt for their pension plan. Maybe there is a link between this event?

Please no trolls!
Hi Austin! I believe we work at the same facility......I'm here also trying to figure out what to do since we've been working our butts off all week 1 am till9 for zero pay...I was depending on that money fr Christmas....I called the union and their response was well its the companies fault they should have been deducting all along, how that answer makes sense to them is confusing when without warning they tool all our money....I am trying to figure out how to bring this to major attention bc I need the money and I am not working for free....this was wrong and we got screwed big time....

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
That's a nice thought, but the reality is different.

Supervisors working during peak, is the result of a few things:

1) The company intentionally understaffing the operation.

Based on how many people you see taking the tour, that's not reality.

2) People signing up to "double shift" and not showing up.

Happens every Saturday and Sunday sort.

3) Part-time employee's that don't realize.. during peak.. it's not part-time.

Hence the reason, for overtime.

-Bug-
I think he's talking about supervisors who are put on at the beginning of
Peak and drive a route daily for the duration of the season.

The Company often does this before promoting part supervisors to full time.

Boston25

Local 25 is a criminal organization

How are we a criminal organization when we were suppose to be legally get the dues they were entitled to? But UPS was screwing it up not just with the new hires for peak but with regular seniority employees as well? It's UPS to blame once again...before you call us a criminal organization look into some of the criminal records of supervisors and managers in Chelmsford. We have raised millions and continue to for children with autism.

zjchrissy

We've had issues like this in my local. It's usually just a clerical error. I'm sure with such a large number of people affected by it that the local will work to fix the issue ASAP.

I disagree with seasonals paying initiation fees but I laugh at the thought of this being thought of as a criminal act.

Also union dues do not go towards the pension.

hi there! the same happened to me and when I called the union they said dues were to be removed and basically they pointed the finger at each other.....I was supposed to get a phone call back and no one ever called me back......slave labor is right.....working 1:30 - 9 am shifts, then working a my other job and taking care of my family, thinking I'm brining in extra money only for them to blind side us...many were also told 6 days a week....we all got no pay....no warning......no explanation .......and not sure where to turn for help.....I don't think its a clerical error...I think they knew exactly what they were doing.....