Local 25 Teamsters borderline criminal act?

How do you feel about this situation?

• Total voters

AwashBwashCwash

The big picture here is that a $500 """"initiation fee""" for a seasonal worker making $10 something an hour is totally exploitative, regardless of whether they take it all at once or bit by bit. The Teamsters should be ashamed.

I will continue to fight for every single teamster.
Payroll is responsible for deductions , payroll is responsible for putting all new employees into the system for deductions, payroll didn't do their job and then when they were finally forced to do their job with the threat of labor charges for violating the contract they screwed up again and took money out of everyone's check that was in the process of paying instead of those members that were behind or never put in the system in the first place

Keep singing the same tune. The union will represent them but not for their money back. For that they have to take the issue to UPS who OVERPAID ON THEIR BEHALF
What do you not get about that?
Payroll is responsible for deductions, the Teamsters do not have direct access to union members pay checks, UPS screwed up payroll once again

Boston25

Everyone seems to forget how terrible pay roll is and how they can't pay anyone correctly...what makes them think they can deduct dues properly?

BrownRecycler

@Mart Man

$500 is kind of steep in my opinion for a temporary seasonal worker that is allow to work for 3 months.

$500 / 3 = $166.66 init fee per month

The problem is with the UPS payroll. If they charged you $166.66 on your first week, you end up with (approximately $0 on the first week) provided that you had a part time job. We didn't see your paystub so there is no telling what is the dollar amount and how many hours work that you work. This is not to says that I am blaming you. $500 is still too high.

When the management told you to blame the Steward, they basically threw the stewards under the bus. Steward had no control or access to your payroll nor the union's init fee and union dues. Their job is to make sure that your contract is follow and assist in verifying your position in the union is in order.

The UPS seasonal job is a pay to win. UPS is offering seasonal bonus provided that you attend all the day to earn the bonus money. UPS isn't for everyone, and people quit. People's quitting is UPS's gains as they save money by not paying medical insurance while conscripting the workforce to meets the high volume demand. In other view, if you did survive the UPS seasonal and apply for perm, UPS may or may not hire because you have month credited toward your medical insurance eligibility. On the other hand, if you work as a permanent position, the bonus is really a hiring bonus. Should you apply as a permanent position instead of seasonal, you wouldn't have earn the bonus in some situation. I know there is a on-going bonus for permanent member because of the contract proposal, but I digress.

The bottom line is that you and other got shank. UPS used the union as a weapon. If it was deliberate, they use it to get rid of you and other for free labors to avoid paying out seasonal bonus.

I am sorry for your loss and hope that contacting the Payroll in collaboration with the union can help get resolve. I fear that the damage is already done and that they cannot "reverse" the damage unless there is a major negative PR involves.

Peak Cardboard

Finally some people are intelligent enough to realize this is entirely UPS payroll/HR’s fault for deducting full amounts/not putting paperwork thru in a timely fashion. I guarantee someone at UPS payroll did the following:
1. got the sheet with amounts owed
2. Pressed the button to remove the whole amount from each person.
3. Gave zero friend*s about it afterwards

just chillin'

Rest in peace wooba
I guarantee someone at UPS payroll did the following:

very good chance that "someone at payroll" is a seasonal temp as well. guy they hired in my center to coordinate the helpers and do there time cards so they get paid proper is from a temp agency. hes full time, gets more pay and hours than the 4 oms girls we already have and hes screwing up helper pay in a big way everyday. hes in way over his head but they would rather pay him to screw guys out of there pay than to pay the OMS's OT so its done right.

Peak Cardboard

very good chance that "someone at payroll" is a seasonal temp as well. guy they hired in my center to coordinate the helpers and do there time cards so they get paid proper is from a temp agency. hes full time, gets more pay and hours than the 4 oms girls we already have and hes screwing up helper pay in a big way everyday. hes in way over his head but they would rather pay him to screw guys out of there pay than to pay the OMS's OT so its done right.
I would wholeheartedly agree. This is not as some would suggest the locals’ (multiple it would seem) fault but 100% UPS’ fault. Some clueless accountant or HR type-likely seasonal as you suggest got a spreadsheet, read it, then pressed a button and in the process screwed workers and there’s nothing the locals can do about it unless UPS is willing to cough up the balance to the workers in the interim and take it back out of paychecks as it was intended to be taken out. There’s also the conspiracy theory that it could well have been done on purpose by UPS as well to foster ill will.

wide load

Starting wage is a waste of time.
Finally some people are intelligent enough to realize this is entirely UPS payroll/HR’s fault for deducting full amounts/not putting paperwork thru in a timely fashion. I guarantee someone at UPS payroll did the following:
So maybe we can get a mod to change the title?

Mart Man

I’ve requested a mod remove the thread, but no response. If the thread is available after I get out of work I will update you all on what the company has decided to do to fix the issue regardless of who was at fault!

I agree the title was a bit much I was just upset at the time for myself and co workers

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
I would wholeheartedly agree. This is not as some would suggest the locals’ (multiple it would seem) fault but 100% UPS’ fault. Some clueless accountant or HR type-likely seasonal as you suggest got a spreadsheet, read it, then pressed a button and in the process screwed workers and there’s nothing the locals can do about it unless UPS is willing to cough up the balance to the workers in the interim and take it back out of paychecks as it was intended to be taken out. There’s also the conspiracy theory that it could well have been done on purpose by UPS as well to foster ill will.
So maybe we can get a mod to change the title?
Do you guys even understand the process for "dues checkoff"???

As I understand it, UPS's Payroll Dept only processes the specific monetary deductions requested from the Locals.
UPS is not responsible for keeping track of who owes what, the Union is....and rightfully so.

While I tend to agree that there is obviously a "disconnect" somewhere in this scenario, it seems grossly unfair to assume all the culpability lies with the Company.
Actually if I had to bet, I would put my money on the notion that the Local made the mistake.

Posting this pains me, as I have a deep seeded bias in regards to most of these type of situations, but what's right and fair is rarely gray.

In the end, in my opinion, this is just another instance where "autonomy" is giving the IBT a black eye.
Shouldn't their be a formula that is followed unilaterally, nationwide, to deal with seasonal and vacation replacement workers and what they owe the Union in regards to dues and initiation/hazing fees???

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
I’ve requested a mod remove the thread, but no response. If the thread is available after I get out of work I will update you all on what the company has decided to do to fix the issue regardless of who was at fault!

I agree the title was a bit much I was just upset at the time for myself and co workers
The thread doesn't need to be deleted?
It's created good discussion and educational opportunities.

Unions charging any employee "initiation fees" before they matriculate into a seniority position should be illegal.
Don't let them push you off of your position, even if it's only part of your position.

542thruNthru

I didn’t moderate in Union Issues unless I didn’t realize where I was.
The mindless goons in here raised hell just because I was in a technology management position.

principecercamoglie18.gif

Wow can you warn me next time before you go into another boring story. ;)