Local 2727 UPDATE

Status
Not open for further replies.

unionman

Before I answer, I have the feeling that you aren't comparing apples to apples. Are you at top wage with UPS? What is the top wage rate for an aircraft mechanic? Outside experience may get you in the door, but won't alter your pay rate. That's the wages I was talking about that UPS would use (or should use) in a media campaign. (IMO).
Management at UPS always goes to our top out wage as there battle cry, yet they fail to see what the mechanics have done in the past to save UPS millions of dollars by keeping there P.O.S. fleet of dc8, 727 and 747100 aircraft in excellent shape for as long as UPS has had an airline. Thats the problem, you can't see past the ends of your pencils. How much does it cost when your planes are unreliable? We are a small group with a great impact on the bottom line. We can save you millions or we can cost you millions with what we do with our knowledge. Its up to you to make sure that those airplanes stay under our eyes with better efficiencies because we are the last line of defense from a crumbling industry.

bluehdmc

The spin doctors will turn your rate into $75.00 an hour. (at the least). They'll figure benefit cost, vacations, sick pay, etc. Of course those details won't be mentioned, just the $75 headline.

airbusfxr

UPS Teamsters all make the most in their work groups. UPS has 920 mechanics down from just over 1k. This is a small work group but provides a valuable service commitment that in returns brings in a BIG profit. Our work group is under attack by the company and we must make a stand to protect our jobs. If we must strike then we will, the RLA will protect our jobs and the Teamster will support us. We all fall under the IBT and Hoffa will honor our picket will all UPS Teamsters honoring our picket lines. It is called "lock out" and in '97 we were locked out due to your strike. The pilots will honor our lines and that will end the airline till it is settled. The talks will start at the end of August, and by the time the "30 day cooling off" ends it will be the first of Dec. Would UPS let 920 aircraft mechanics shut down the company during peak or just give them a small raise, free insurance, and 4 years back pay? This RLA had us helping UPS make BILLIONS, shouldnt we get a small increase? There are several steps that must be made before we can strike and we will do all we can to avoid a service disruption but if it happens remember we stood by you in '97, we are asking for your help.

beentheredonethat

Would UPS let 920 aircraft mechanics shut down the company during peak or just give them a small raise, free insurance, and 4 years back pay? This RLA had us helping UPS make BILLIONS, shouldnt we get a small increase?

What is your pay rate, and what are you asking your pay to be brought to?

airbusfxr

23 per hour plus 10 bucks for each FAA certification. So top pay is 43 bucks per hour. What does a package car mechanic make? We make less than a package car mechanic but then add the FAA certificate and all the responsibility that goes along with it. The top pilots makes 300k and a grade 20 makes millions. Each job at UPS pays industry tops and we are wanting only to be fairly compensated.

beentheredonethat

23 per hour plus 10 bucks for each FAA certification. So top pay is 43 bucks per hour. What does a package car mechanic make? We make less than a package car mechanic but then add the FAA certificate and all the responsibility that goes along with it. The top pilots makes 300k and a grade 20 makes millions. Each job at UPS pays industry tops and we are wanting only to be fairly compensated.

Thanks you gave me 1/2 the answer of 43 per hour. What do you want to make that you consider fair? $44? $45?....$50? Also, even with bonuses a grade 20 doesn't make millions per year. Not even close.

beentheredonethat

Although you may not believe this. I do believe that UPS should pay the highest wages in the industry, for all groups. However, there is a limit to how much higher they can pay us. If we pay $43, and other mechanics make a few dollars less, then a decent bump probably makes sense. But if other mechanics at FDX for example make only 33, then it doesn't make sense to give increases, when the pay is so different already. I don't know what the pay for mechanics are at FDX, but I'd like to know if you folks know that. The other thing that seems odd, is that it seems like many union folks get upset that UPS makes billions in profits. Our profit margin is less then 10%, and of that profit, a lot of it goes towards long term investments in buying jets, building buildings, buying pkg cars. Also it goes towards dividends of shareowners. That's where the majority of the profit goes. If UPS didn't make profits, we'd be in trouble like YRC is right now. It's good (IMO) that UPS is profitable.

unionman

Although you may not believe this. I do believe that UPS should pay the highest wages in the industry, for all groups. However, there is a limit to how much higher they can pay us. If we pay $43, and other mechanics make a few dollars less, then a decent bump probably makes sense. But if other mechanics at FDX for example make only 33, then it doesn't make sense to give increases, when the pay is so different already. I don't know what the pay for mechanics are at FDX, but I'd like to know if you folks know that. The other thing that seems odd, is that it seems like many union folks get upset that UPS makes billions in profits. Our profit margin is less then 10%, and of that profit, a lot of it goes towards long term investments in buying jets, building buildings, buying pkg cars. Also it goes towards dividends of shareowners. That's where the majority of the profit goes. If UPS didn't make profits, we'd be in trouble like YRC is right now. It's good (IMO) that UPS is profitable.
Fedex mechanics start at 33 and top at 41.08 in three years. We start at 21 and top out at 43 in 5 years. Fedex has 2500 mechanics for 350 aircraft and we have 920 mechanics for 220 aircraft.

airbusfxr

If UPS pays us 50 bucks an hour it will not make a dent in the money bucket. We have 920 mechanics assigned work of 1400 mechanic man-hours, and subcontracting is past the contractual limit. FDX is an airline with trucks, UPS is a trucking company with airplanes, it takes money to run an airline. UPS wants FDX to become a trucking company when UPS should worry about it own problems with a possibility of a service disruption during peak.

beentheredonethat

If UPS pays us 50 bucks an hour it will not make a dent in the money bucket. We have 920 mechanics
I'll agree that $10 more per hour times 2000 hrs * 1000 mechanics is $20 million per year and UPS will still be profitable. But we should all consider that UPS had an OR of only .93 in other words, for every dollar in revenue, we spent 93 cents to pay our people, fuel our pkg cars, pay for insurance etc. That isn't that good. Can you imagine opening your own business and only make 7 cents on the dollar. And then of the 7 cents. You have to pay the govt on that profit? UPS isn't in business to not make any money. What you are asking for is almost a 20% increase in pay. If all segments got a 20% increase in pay. UPS would be losing money (big time). You already indicated you are the highest paid, there's a point where we can't go much more since we will price ourselves out of business.

unionman

I'll agree that $10 more per hour times 2000 hrs * 1000 mechanics is $20 million per year and UPS will still be profitable. But we should all consider that UPS had an OR of only .93 in other words, for every dollar in revenue, we spent 93 cents to pay our people, fuel our pkg cars, pay for insurance etc. That isn't that good. Can you imagine opening your own business and only make 7 cents on the dollar. And then of the 7 cents. You have to pay the govt on that profit? UPS isn't in business to not make any money. What you are asking for is almost a 20% increase in pay. If all segments got a 20% increase in pay. UPS would be losing money (big time). You already indicated you are the highest paid, there's a point where we can't go much more since we will price ourselves out of business.
UPS could lose $20 million dollars in one night. We are a small group that plays a major role in UPS's best opportunity to increase revenue with express packages. Basically taking it to FEDX and DHL. If you want to talk about saving money with labor, why don't you take a look at the layers off management in the airline? Its way out of control. We only want job security and a 3% raise, that isnt asking for too much is it?

JETDOC

Job security is most important. We have found more logbooks full of work that has been done in china than ever before. We had a 767 last week with all 25 pages filled out with work that was done overseas.That work was to be done by our members. A few bucks an hour and benefits would be nice, but right now it seems the cuts in manpower will never stop. Up in ANC we are ready to walk!!!

mrv

The next step for the company will be to lay off AMTS to minimum staffing of 840. This will be done to appy more pressure on our Union to accept the company's offer. Hopefully our Union leadership will stand strong and not ask us to do OT bans and MOU's. These tatics just show weak leadership and resolve. Nows the time to take a stand!!!

Catatonic

Nine Lives
UPS could lose $20 million dollars in one night. We are a small group that plays a major role in UPS's best opportunity to increase revenue with express packages.

1873.jpg

mrv

a stand against what? making the most in the industry? good luck with all that.

Ups AMT's Start at 21$ an hour, year five we are at 27.50 and yr six 43$ an hr. Fdx AMT's start at 33 and top out at 41.50 in yr 3. So even though we top out higher than FDX we will never get close to there wages due to the progrssion. This isn't about the pay. Its about UPS tring to gut our contract. Ups is taking advantage of the economy to scare the membership. They are laying off AMT's in an attempt intiminate our union into accepting a bad contract.

A

anonymous6

Come on people!!! UPS only made profits of 15 million dollars a day last quarter instead of the usual 25 so why can't you cut them a break???

seriously, I remember the 97 strike like it was yesterday and kept every bit of propagander that the company put out during it.

i also remember as the strike went on there were less pickets out there manning the lines. one sunday i was the only one until a pilot came along and stood with me all day in the hot sun.

i'll stand with you guys .

beentheredonethat

Come on people!!! UPS only made profits of 15 million dollars a day last quarter instead of the usual 25 so why can't you cut them a break???

seriously, I remember the 97 strike like it was yesterday and kept every bit of propagander that the company put out during it.

Do you remember the propaganda from both sides? Remember the teamsters didn't want to give up the pension fund? Remember they didn't even let you vote on the contract. Remember how for the next contract UPS bailed out the fund to the tune of 6 billion? Remember how Central States is still in a world of hurt now? Wouldn't it have been better for Central State UPSer's to have had more years under the UPS pension, vs the central states. So long as you remember back then. You should remember everything.

Status
Not open for further replies.