Local 2727 UPDATE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dustyroads

Salesguy, tell all of those millions of people who lost billions of dollars on their 401Ks in the last year that it's a much sounder option than a defined benefit plan.

It must by your youth talking.

unionman

no, instead of a pension (which no one should count on these days anyway) ask for a higher 401k match in UPS stock....

that way you can take your tax deferred money and put in a 401k and get the company to kick in a high(er) match?

just my opinion...and you know what they say about opinions
How about you give us a defined pension plan, like you have, and more than half the mechanics would retire guaranteed

upssalesguy

UPS Defender
Salesguy, tell all of those millions of people who lost billions of dollars on their 401Ks in the last year that it's a much sounder option than a defined benefit plan.

It must by your youth talking.

i'm not trying to slam, but why should this one segment of workers get a pension when the rest of the world has to save for their own retirement?

i have not grown up in an era of pensions, so I am probably off base.

I say do what you have to do...I'm just anti strike and pro "middle ground"

Dustyroads

Maybe it's because we negotiated it 30 years ago and I've worked for 30 years for the contributions that were made in my name. Do I need a better reason salesguy?

Salesguy, do you have any idea why drivers don't give you sales leads?

Just wondering.

upssalesguy

UPS Defender
Maybe it's because we negotiated it 30 years ago and I've worked for 30 years for the contributions that were made in my name. Do I need a better reason salesguy?

Salesguy, do you have any idea why drivers don't give you sales leads?

Just wondering.

They do.

and these mechanics have not negotiated it...it is a new day and age and the world is changing.

mrv

We dont want to strike but we will if provoked.

The thing to do is sit tight and wait. Our E-Board is taking us down the path of no return with all their chest pounding. Sit tight and vote them out!! Keep the current contract until the economy recovers and we have a E-board in place that has a clue. They already underestimated the Companys resolve with the OT ban and Bill boards which contributed to all these layoffs. Now they want us to walk so the company can replace us with scabs.

airbusfxr

The RLA of 1929 protects our jobs. If all IBT people walk off the job, the company cannot replace everyone. Remember the '97 strike, it was like the 3 stooges running the routes.

mrv

The RLA of 1929 protects our jobs. If all IBT people walk off the job, the company cannot replace everyone. Remember the '97 strike, it was like the 3 stooges running the routes.

Asking 300k Teamsters to hit the street in this economy is a hard sell. We should wait and negotiate from strength. Threating a strike will burn the whole house down. We need a professional E-boad that can think outside the box. These idiotic tactics don't work! Just ask Eastern, Continental, Northwest, Pan Am, TWA, etc.............BTW no one will starve on what we make now. We have been waiting 4 yrs, at least wait until the economy allows us to bargin form a better position.

SuperSup

Ups AMT's Start at 21$ an hour, year five we are at 27.50 and yr six 43$ an hr. Fdx AMT's start at 33 and top out at 41.50 in yr 3. So even though we top out higher than FDX we will never get close to there wages due to the progrssion. This isn't about the pay. Its about UPS tring to gut our contract. Ups is taking advantage of the economy to scare the membership. They are laying off AMT's in an attempt intiminate our union into accepting a bad contract.
:oops:

Last edited by a moderator:

unionman

The thing to do is sit tight and wait. Our E-Board is taking us down the path of no return with all their chest pounding. Sit tight and vote them out!! Keep the current contract until the economy recovers and we have a E-board in place that has a clue. They already underestimated the Companys resolve with the OT ban and Bill boards which contributed to all these layoffs. Now they want us to walk so the company can replace us with scabs.
No way in hell are we getting those guys back in there so they can steal more money... When the national decides to get involved, which will be very soon, it will be a different story.

Spot-on Mr UPSalesguy...I haven’t grown up with a retirement spoon in my mouth either.
With that said, should I rollover and let UPS stick it to me when they feel like it, or should I give up a bit of a fight?
Did you give up your retirement yet?

If you had a defined pension that payed you $3000 dollars a month for the rest of your life, how much money would it take to do that in your 401k? Do the math.
Its what everybody at UPS works for except us. 20 and out.

What is this twenty and out? Oh, I get it...nope, I don't!

airbusfxr

If we dont strike before peak and end up paying for health care we will only be on strike during the drivers contract. The drivers will be told the pilots make 300k and pay 300 a month for health care, the mechanics make 80k a year and pay 400 a month for health care, you can make 75k and pay 400 also. Do you think the IBT would let UPS make all the drivers pay, NO, the IBT will strike UPS and then the pilots and mechanics will be paying forever. We are headed for strikes over health care, whether the drivers or us and at this time the drivers have a contract, we DO NOT. The latest hotline states that we won several subcontrating cases, but UPS is still doing it. The mediator's decision was for the union and UPS is still sending work overseas. They are not abiding by arbitration cases, do you think they will ever follow a contract, no matter how "iron clad" the wording. Sad.

clocksucker

UPS has 438 people that are managers or supervisors on the a/c mx side. 2727 currently has a little over 900 mechanics. They have been pushing all of them through as much a/c mx training as possible. After getting some inside info. It seems they are preparing to do our job when the time comes. I wonder how they all will feel when the company gets rid of 30% of them after this thing gets settled.
We are seeing the same thing on the east coast. I think UPS is preparing for the strike to come.

I agree with you and Jetdoc. I just have to get some of my PVG buddies on line and its on...

I'm with jetdoc also. I'm a little concerned with the wolf crying from the union. One way or another I wish they would just pick a line and stick to it.
btw PVG?

"Here in America we are descended in blood and in spirit
from revolutionists and rebels -- men and women who dare to dissent
from accepted doctrine. As their heirs, we may never confuse
honest dissent with disloyal subversion."
-Dwight D. Eisenhower

brownone

Strike will be great, you will go from 920 mechnaics to half that if you are lucky. I would love a 3% raise to, but based on the economy it did not happen. $43 and hour to sleep in the truck with your buddy dreaming of the days where you worked at another airline you drove out business or bankrupt. Wake up and smell the coffea. The economy is much different than in 97 and I am sure there are a great amount of mechanics we can get to replace you. By the way the Teamster war chest is not what it used to be either.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
us to pay for health care, approx 400 bucks a month for singles, 800 bucks for a family.
That is pretty much what a retiree pays for insurance out of his pension check in our area.

Take home out of 3500 is about 1800 a month.

That is one of the reasons so many drivers have decided to stay on working. They cant live on 1800 a month, when you have been pulling down 1100-1200 a week take home.

d

Status
Not open for further replies.