Local 2727 UPDATE

Status
Not open for further replies.

airbusfxr

This is a new struggle, we were locked out in '97 and we had a valid contract at the time. This time it will be us and you will be locked out per IBT Constitution. We are being asked to pay health care, get a 1% raise for 10 or more years, and give work to China and Mexico. If we get this dont you think UPS will want you to pay for health care in your next contract. We have had 10% layed off and not 1 sup, manager, or support team member has hit the street. We still have time controlled items for each fleet and somehow we less people to do more work. How many planes have landed this year in an emergency situation? SWA had a hole in the roof, AF had one end up in the ocean, etc etc, UPS has never had a serious incident and it is up to us, 10% less to maintain the highest level of safety. We only want to share in the success of the company, our workgroup is small but we provide massive profit per employee.

beentheredonethat

This is a new struggle, we were locked out in '97 and we had a valid contract at the time. This time it will be us and you will be locked out per IBT Constitution. We are being asked to pay health care, get a 1% raise for 10 or more years, and give work to China and Mexico. If we get this dont you think UPS will want you to pay for health care in your next contract. We have had 10% layed off and not 1 sup, manager, or support team member has hit the street. We still have time controlled items for each fleet and somehow we less people to do more work. How many planes have landed this year in an emergency situation? SWA had a hole in the roof, AF had one end up in the ocean, etc etc, UPS has never had a serious incident and it is up to us, 10% less to maintain the highest level of safety. We only want to share in the success of the company, our workgroup is small but we provide massive profit per employee.
When you say 1% raise are you saying the new rate will go from $43 to $43.43 or it will go up 10% (for the 10 years) to roughly $47.30?

With either dollars amount you'll still be the highest paid. And at $47.30 you won't find many folks sympathizing with your position. Everyone, and I mean everyone at UPS is a key component to our success. This includes our drivers, our inside PT employees, Fdr drivers, mgmt team, pilots, mechanics, clerical etc. Companies are in busines to make money. Right now the company makes $.07 for every dollar it brings in. Would you want to run a company and get that kind of return? Or would you expect more?
If you strike, and all teamsters back you and we have a work stoppage. You may win the battle. But all of us will lose the war. We'll see a lot more diversion to FDX. Even less volume then now, more layoffs etc.

You mentioned that mechanics are layed off, but no mgmt. I showed in prior posts, we have reduced mgmt big time in the districts and regions. Then you said no mgmt in the air function has been reduced. Maybe you're right, maybe you're not. I don't know. I find it hard to believe you know the exact numbers of folks working in mgmt in the air function.
But let's assume you're right, lets go to paying for health care. We already do in mgmt. We've been doing it for years now. Now, UPS is asking you to share the burden. You can't use the line that mgmt hasn't suffered, since we have already. About 20-25 years ago, there was no RPS\FDX Ground. Every one of those pkgs could be\should be a UPS pkg. Customers diverted for a multitude of reasons. If we strike again, they have capacity to take even more volume. We (the whole company we) will be in trouble with another strike. But, I know, you'll dismiss this since I'm in mgmt, and tell me I don't know what I'm talking about.

airbusfxr

No airline management or AOTs or Business Professionals have been put out in the cold. Heck we have had the DC 8 pilots drawing full pay and benefits and they dont even have to come to get the money. Top that the Pilots management AINT layed off anyone and the 727 and DC8 managers are still drawing full pay flying a desk. We, the mechanics, are the smallest work group that produces the most revenue per employee at UPS. We have been without a contract and a raise since Nov 2005. Our management team has raked in pay raises in each year, big MIP, Grade 20s bags of money, and every other work group has at least got 4 years of raises and COLA. Mr. Beenthere, you are a ground expert, but, the airline is run different and the quicker you remember the better off you will be. I wish you were able to access the pilots and mechanics boards, you could learn alot about UPSCO.

unionman

No airline management or AOTs or Business Professionals have been put out in the cold. Heck we have had the DC 8 pilots drawing full pay and benefits and they dont even have to come to get the money. Top that the Pilots management AINT layed off anyone and the 727 and DC8 managers are still drawing full pay flying a desk. We, the mechanics, are the smallest work group that produces the most revenue per employee at UPS. We have been without a contract and a raise since Nov 2005. Our management team has raked in pay raises in each year, big MIP, Grade 20s bags of money, and every other work group has at least got 4 years of raises and COLA. Mr. Beenthere, you are a ground expert, but, the airline is run different and the quicker you remember the better off you will be. I wish you were able to access the pilots and mechanics boards, you could learn alot about UPSCO.
I would gladly give up any raise and even take a pay cut if I could get the defined pension that every other Upser has. Our contract needs many improvements that the top dollar doesnt address.

747jetmech

the real 18 wheelers
just remember we the mechanics dont want to strike. that would be terriable for everyone.. UPS gave the pilots topay during great economic times while our contract was stalled.. we just want a fair contract. maybe we should wait another 4 years and get top pay again. and still not pay for health care ins

JETDOC

I don't know about your status, but right now a lot of us won't be here in 4 years. Should we lay down and let them throw us out? Or should we stand together and fight?

I don’t plan on being with UPS that much longer as well…It’s too bad the UPS Schutzstaffel can’t see the long term benefits of a healthy management-labor relationship.
I think ANC is going to be an exciting place to work for the next few months.

mrv

I would gladly give up any raise and even take a pay cut if I could get the defined pension that every other Upser has. Our contract needs many improvements that the top dollar doesnt address.

Just the kind of Unionman the company is looking for!

mrv

I don’t plan on being with UPS that much longer as well…It’s too bad the UPS Schutzstaffel can’t see the long term benefits of a healthy management-labor relationship.
I think ANC is going to be an exciting place to work for the next few months.

Real exciting working in the dark at 20 below.

airbusfxr

I will give the hotline report tomorrow, hopefully the "strike vote" per RLA of 1929 will be the top topic. I think we are all ready to show UPS that 4 years of record profits, record bonuses, pilot's rewarding contract, and MIP, that it is time to pay the people that have contributed to this success. We are the smallest work group that provides the most revenue per employee in the whole company. We are only wanting a fair contract for helping UPSCO provide worldwide service with safety and service as job one. If we have to ask our brothers and sisters to walk per IBT rules then we will, they asked in '97 and we stood by them till their dispute was settled. The IBT, mediator, and finally the President will all have to sign off per RLA before we can strike. The strike vote first, then release from Mediation, then the "30 day cooling off period", then by the middle of December it will be done. Does UPS want customers to move because of 920 mechanics? Why does UPS try to bully the people that have helped them fix airplanes to fly around the world? The timing of a December strike will send customers to FDX in droves.

nhguy

airbusfxr,

It is a shame that it has gone on for four years and still no settlement. I like most of our mechanics and feel they are vitally important to the UPS system, however, we all need to be real as well. UPS management people and clerical people have been paying into their medical benefits for many years now. When I retired, I was paying almost $400.00 a month. The last several years that I worked my raise didn't cover the taxes or increased cost in my medical. The management people have realistically been going backwards for several years. It stinks for everybody, but it is a fact of life that health care costs are starting to cripple all employers. I hope they get this thing done so that their is a happy medium for all.

"Remember the big fish always eats the little ones"

JETDOC

UPS has 438 people that are managers or supervisors on the a/c mx side. 2727 currently has a little over 900 mechanics. They have been pushing all of them through as much a/c mx training as possible. After getting some inside info. It seems they are preparing to do our job when the time comes. I wonder how they all will feel when the company gets rid of 30% of them after this thing gets settled.

upssalesguy

UPS Defender

how about you just ask for a nice 401k match?

mrv

UPS has 438 people that are managers or supervisors on the a/c mx side. 2727 currently has a little over 900 mechanics. They have been pushing all of them through as much a/c mx training as possible. After getting some inside info. It seems they are preparing to do our job when the time comes. I wonder how they all will feel when the company gets rid of 30% of them after this thing gets settled.

That would be fun to see. Most those guys could not move an Aircraft if their lives depended on it. I.E should do a time study on management working...then UPS would know who really keeps their planes moving.

upssalesguy

UPS Defender
He would give that up to!

no, instead of a pension (which no one should count on these days anyway) ask for a higher 401k match in UPS stock....

that way you can take your tax deferred money and put in a 401k and get the company to kick in a high(er) match?

just my opinion...and you know what they say about opinions

unionman

Just the kind of Unionman the company is looking for!
If you had a defined pension that payed you $3000 dollars a month for the rest of your life, how much money would it take to do that in your 401k? Do the math.
Its what everybody at UPS works for except us. 20 and out.

747jetmech

the real 18 wheelers
Jet Doc are you kidding me, sups and mgrs could never fix an a/c like us. we are the GODS of aviation. <<<< LOL...Where do you get your info? sounds like more rumors. hang tight and if your leaving anyway what do you care? step aside and let a layed off worker come back to work. I'm just guessing your on the chopping block anyways.
WE DO NOT WANT TO STRIKE OR WALK THE LINE!!!!!! so don't talk for all of us in the 2727 system.

Status
Not open for further replies.