Looking for answer: Changing route during driver qualification

WyoBrown

I hope someone can give me a straight answer tonight. I went into work today and was assigned to a new route in the middle of my probation period for new driver. I had my previous route down and running scratch now, they are screwing with my success by putting me on a different route in a different town for the remainder of period. Get this, no mgmt available today to run route with me so they bring in mgmt from another state! The blind leading the blind...all day. I am so frustrated!! Does the contract state that this allowable?

pkg-king

How many days do you have left to qualify? They're suposed to keep you on the same route throughout yuor probation period. Are you sure you were'nt already considered qualified and now they've assigned you to cover?

outamyway

I've heard that if you are forced to change routes during your 30 day probation, you are automatically qualified. Better talk to a steward!

WyoBrown

I have 25 days left of my 2nd probation period. Spent a total of 35 days on the original training route, now expected to run the remainder of probation on a different route. Why can't this company set their people up to succeed instead of fail? News flash for them, I WILL NOT FAIL. But, I will hold mgmt accountable to the contract, if possible. Note: Our steward filed a grievance last week on my behalf due to other discrepancies that took place during my first probation period.

SmithBarney

I was bounced all around from running cleanup to running out and helping
drivers finish up. my Sups lost track of days, when day 30 came, I was
qualified by default, never had a qualify ride.

I think I ran my "training" route about 15 of my 30 days.

wily_old_vet

I have 25 days left of my 2nd probation period. Spent a total of 35 days on the original training route, now expected to run the remainder of probation on a different route. Why can't this company set their people up to succeed instead of fail? News flash for them, I WILL NOT FAIL. But, I will hold mgmt accountable to the contract, if possible. Note: Our steward filed a grievance last week on my behalf due to other discrepancies that took place during my first probation period.

To my knowledge there is only one probationary period of 30 working days. If you were on the first route for 35 working days you are qualified. Lighten up, you're in

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

This may not necessarily be the case, as there was a previous thread in which some centers were using additional 30 day probation periods for those drivers who did not qualify on their first attempt. This thread sounds different in that it sounds as though you have qualified and they now consider you to be a cover driver. If this is not the case, take this as a personal challenge and show them that you can handle whatever they throw at you.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
I was on 5 areas the first 5 days I drove. I was with 3 different on-cars. We were so short of drivers it was a panic. Boy have things changed. Now it's not a panic, it's chaos. I too gained senoirity without a ride along. Knew quite a few areas and also ran with a helper during peak while on probation. That's how I became Brownmonster!

WyoBrown

Thats crazy Monster, and, your center sounds like our center right now...total chaos! Im willing to help out where needed but concerned that its only the numbers that are taken into consideration in order to qualify. When left on familiar route, numbers are great but when booted onto other routes...blind...the numbers are gonna drop. I will feel better when the get the "word" and can just work as directed out from under the microscope.

O

oldupsman

Wyo,
Believe me when I tell you this. The more routes you know the more valuable you become. The center manager moved you because you're good at your job. And he knows it. Same thing happened to me my first 5 years. This route that route. Why? Because I was a good driver. Take it as a compliment, not an insult. Quality drivers are hard to find. He knows that too. Don't worry about the numbers. Hope you enjoy your career at UPS.

over9five

Staff member
Yikes, they sure baby the newbies now! I wasn't allowed to qualify on the same route for 30 days.
Same as Fredly, I was bounced around so much they lost track and just said to me one day, "you're all set!".

Either do the job or not, stop your whining, sounds like you've had it pretty easy so far.

WyoBrown

Thanks for the input, I see that many of you have been in the same situation and ended up long term brown. I hope my efforts get the same result. If I sound whiney, that is not my intention. My intention is to learn from a wide range of opinions and knowledge...most of which I can't find in my own center. Yeah, Im a newbie and therefore I need experience and information. Not a crime in my book.

SmithBarney

I know I was able to tell on my paycheck, once I was qualified I think there was like a 5 cent raise (15.70 to 15.75) but I can't remember exactly.

WyoBrown

You found out you were officially a driver by looking at your paycheck? Amazing that your center manager couldnt take 2 sec to let you know you had made the grade.