Looking for RTD CDL advice

MAKAVELI

Just thinking what would be better for me. Have 2 hernias which I'm not trying to mess up from lifting or pulling to heavy of things. 9-5 is totally the sweet perk of that, not much over time if any with it. Also I hear doing station to stations you can get OT with it just looks like I'll be working crappy hours.
The risk for pulling a hernia would be about the same since at heavyweight most of what you do is mechanically assisted.

Artee

So still back breaking also.
It can be. Our RT and heavyweight is in the same building. A couple of the heavyweight drivers are feeling the effects at age 60 from the years of having to climb up and down the side of the truck/trailer. If the customer springs for the extra inside delivery charge you gotta lug the big boxes in. Not a lot of fun if there is no dock and you are using the lift gate and trying to run the pallet jack across gravel. The muscling around of crates with the pallet jacks. A couple of the heavyweight guys will help with some RT runs in the evening if we are short people and their advise is stay RT. So much easier, unless you really want the daytime hours.

MAKAVELI

It can be. Our RT and heavyweight is in the same building. A couple of the heavyweight drivers are feeling the effects at age 60 from the years of having to climb up and down the side of the truck/trailer. If the customer springs for the extra inside delivery charge you gotta lug the big boxes in. Not a lot of fun if there is no dock and you are using the lift gate and trying to run the pallet jack across gravel. The muscling around of crates with the pallet jacks. A couple of the heavyweight guys will help with some RT runs in the evening if we are short people and their advise is stay RT. So much easier, unless you really want the daytime hours.
Guys that are 60 having physical issues at heavyweight is most likely due to being out of shape. I've seen UPS package drivers in their 60s still able to keep a good pace.

abused.crr

Hello all you RTD drivers, I'm a pt pm courier up in the east coast for about 3yrs now. Recently obtained my cdl permit. Looking at driving the tractor trailers. Can one give me advice on it? What kind of hours are you getting, how long did it take you to go from pt to ft, home life, schedule, pay, good career choice if one stayed with the company? I'm in my late 20s just looking for pointers. Like the company never had a issue in the 3yrs I've been with them. I know a lot has changed in the years. Just looking for friendly advice. Thanks

Take the free CDL training! It's kinda like having a college degree but companies recruit you! Once you get only a few months experience the doors open up and you can see the light. I spent well over 2 decades at this employee hating company thinking I could never do better. Years and years on different extended routes as a swing driver; spending my break looking up p2 addresses, pissing in bottles cause I'm not aloud the 15 minute round trip to a country gas station, spending the entire year wondering which level of ee will get the wage increase this year, and on and on. I'm not telling you guys anything you don't already know. Except for this... get your CDL and start applying at every local village and town, along with your States department of transportation. They will suck you up! Life is better on the other side. Good luck brothers.

zeev

Take the free CDL training! It's kinda like having a college degree but companies recruit you! Once you get only a few months experience the doors open up and you can see the light. I spent well over 2 decades at this employee hating company thinking I could never do better. Years and years on different extended routes as a swing driver; spending my break looking up p2 addresses, pissing in bottles cause I'm not aloud the 15 minute round trip to a country gas station, spending the entire year wondering which level of ee will get the wage increase this year, and on and on. I'm not telling you guys anything you don't already know. Except for this... get your CDL and start applying at every local village and town, along with your States department of transportation. They will suck you up! Life is better on the other side. Good luck brothers.

bacha29

You are so right take the training and run never been a better time with Amazon and Walmart expansion.
Estimates of the current shortage of CDL Class A drivers runs as high as 25,000. Get the training put the time in and then wait for the offers. Experience and a clean record will put you in well......the drivers seat.

Csdsm18

I was just talking to one of the ramp RTD managers and he was telling me after training I would most likely cover the overnight runs. He told me the hours and my God do they stink big time, 7pm-5am. Talk about having no life. That's extremely tough. I see why they have such a high turnover rate.