Looking for RTD CDL advice

fedx

Extra Large Package
There are lots of trade offs. It will be highly unlikely you'll get hired at UPS, because they hire 6 internal applicants for every 1 external. UPS' feeder driver job is a highly desirable job. However, just keep checking UPS' website for jobs and maybe at some point one will come up. I would just plan on pursuing the RTD as a job. Here's the good and bad about it. The bad-doesn't start out very high in pay and takes a decade or more to top out with their "10 step" pay progression. The good-you don't work very hard. Sometimes you don't work at all and still get paid. That's the trade off. You don't work very hard and don't get paid very high for a long time. When you're finally topped out you'll still not be working very hard and you'll be making a lot of money! If you work at UPS, FedEx Freight, or any other trucking job, you're going to be working and working hard. So that's what you need to consider. Do you want the money and working your tail off or can you live with less money and lots of free time? If you're full time you get guaranteed minimum hours too. So if you show up and don't work 40 hours for the week, you will get paid for a minimum amount of hours. A nice perk. All in all, it's known as being "the second best job at FedEx Express after a pilot".

Csdsm18

Yeah I can most definitely live off less pay for the time being. Also I'm sure I can sign up for hours like a courier. I would also think being rtd you would get some ot a week.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
There are lots of trade offs. It will be highly unlikely you'll get hired at UPS, because they hire 6 internal applicants for every 1 external. UPS' feeder driver job is a highly desirable job. However, just keep checking UPS' website for jobs and maybe at some point one will come up. I would just plan on pursuing the RTD as a job. Here's the good and bad about it. The bad-doesn't start out very high in pay and takes a decade or more to top out with their "10 step" pay progression. The good-you don't work very hard. Sometimes you don't work at all and still get paid. That's the trade off. You don't work very hard and don't get paid very high for a long time. When you're finally topped out you'll still not be working very hard and you'll be making a lot of money! If you work at UPS, FedEx Freight, or any other trucking job, you're going to be working and working hard. So that's what you need to consider. Do you want the money and working your tail off or can you live with less money and lots of free time? If you're full time you get guaranteed minimum hours too. So if you show up and don't work 40 hours for the week, you will get paid for a minimum amount of hours. A nice perk. All in all, it's known as being "the second best job at FedEx Express after a pilot".
@Covemastah @over9five and @Coldworld he thinks you guys work hard. Lol.

fedx

Extra Large Package
@Covemastah @over9five and @Coldworld he thinks you guys work hard. Lol.
I may be wrong, but I bet the UPS, FedEx Freight, YRC, ABF, XPO drivers don't just sit around like RTDs do a lot of the time. They will be going to this company to pick up something, then to the next business to pick up something. If you're an OTR driver, you're going to be driving and not sitting around at your dock watching videos on your phone. What I mean by work hard is they won't be having much down time to play around.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
I may be wrong, but I bet the UPS, FedEx Freight, YRC, ABF, XPO drivers don't just sit around like RTDs do a lot of the times. They will be going to this company to pick up something, then to the next business to pick up something. If you're an OTR driver, you're going to be driving and not sitting around at your dock watching videos on your phone. What I mean by work hard is they won't be having much down time to play around.
Lol. You might want to ask some UPS feeder drivers how hard they work. From what Ive read on here, the most work they do is hooking and unhooking their trailers. Oh, and deciding where they're going to eat lunch. At the ramp where I was an RTD, we had to pull cans in the morning from the plane to the trucks.

I guess I should say, this applies to the UPS who shuttle freight from rail yards to buildings. Not Sleeper feeders. I don't know what they do.

@Covemastah what say you?

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
Lol. You might want to ask some UPS feeder drivers how hard they work. From what Ive read on here, the most work they do is hooking and unhooking their trailers. Oh, and deciding where they're going to eat lunch. At the ramp where I was an RTD, we had to pull cans in the morning from the plane to the trucks.

I guess I should say, this applies to the UPS who shuttle freight from rail yards to buildings. Not Sleeper feeders. I don't know what they do.

@Covemastah what say you?
We handle pkgs and pallet jacks at some customer pick ups , that's it , but being awake all odd hours and driving in heavy traffic or bad weather gives you an element of stress which can wear on you , driving a tractor trailer isn't like a package car and is a lot of responsibility

Route 66

Slapped Upside-da-Head Member
I may be wrong, but I bet the UPS, FedEx Freight, YRC, ABF, XPO drivers don't just sit around like RTDs do a lot of the time. They will be going to this company to pick up something, then to the next business to pick up something. If you're an OTR driver, you're going to be driving and not sitting around at your dock watching videos on your phone. What I mean by work hard is they won't be having much down time to play around.
Precisely why I'm an Express RTD! :happy:

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
Yes but better paying and doesn't overly kill your body like a courier.
No , not like Pkg but over the years could do a job on your kidneys and back , your in that tractor 10 hrs a day bouncing all over the place , and not a comfortable tractor like the gypsies drive

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
IMG_0185.JPG
No , not like Pkg but over the years could do a job on your kidneys and back , your in that tractor 10 hrs a day bouncing all over the place , and not a comfortable tractor like the gypsies drive

What these bad boys rode like a Cadillac

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
Yes those were brutal ,, my uncles had those friend models , I came out to feedahs when we had the MH MACK , also a cab over and they were brutal , but not like the friend models

Used to pass them on the highway on my way home from work

Couldn't maintain 55mph going up any kind of hill
pulling a set

zeev

Get training and leave you will never get full time or top out, Fred's thugs will make sure of that. Walmart or Costco your best bet.