Lost Package

Route 66

Slapped Upside-da-Head Member
....I called my manager and asked if I should deliver the empty Apple boxes before 1030 or the PA packages for the hospital, since we left the building after 10 this morning, and I couldn't get the hospital, the Walgreens and the Apple's off in time. She hung up on me. The Apple's were late.
Don't forget that when you're doing her SFA!

I feel bad for the woman....but....if it is that important, you shouldn't Fedex it or UPS. you should get on a plane and take it there,yourself!.....Sorry dont want to sound mean.

TUT

I think custom critical would have been a better choice.

I agree, if it is that critical. I know the DR's won't have no problem charging a fortune when the bill comes up, no reason to nickle/dime the shipping on such a critical piece.

Route 66

Slapped Upside-da-Head Member
I think for such a life or death matter I would have had the sample divided 3 ways and had them shipped via 3 separate carriers, figuring at least ONE of them had to get through.

Perhaps that wasn't a viable option, but I can't really see why not.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I think custom critical would have been a better choice.

Custom Critical is not intended for single packages....the cost would be prohibitive. Besides, CC is a truck operation that sometimes operates in conjunction with Express, but not normally. It is routine to have tissue/medical samples go Express, and I see dozens every day. We even have custom packaging for medical...ever hear of a PissPak? I'm always amazed at how little you know about FedEx operations.

MAKAVELI

Custom Critical is not intended for single packages....the cost would be prohibitive. Besides, CC is a truck operation that sometimes operates in conjunction with Express, but not normally. It is routine to have tissue/medical samples go Express, and I see dozens every day. We even have custom packaging for medical...ever hear of a PissPak? I'm always amazed at how little you know about FedEx operations.
I'm not the least bit surprised.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Air Expedite Network Services
When ground transportation or conventional airfreight can't meet your critical deadline, turn to Air Expedite Network. FedEx Custom Critical vehicles provide pickups and deliveries. FedEx Express handles the air transportation on most shipments.

Here's the point, which she misses entirely. Custom Critical is designed for medical/expedited small shipments, as in more than one. It is not intended for individual tissue samples, which this case involved. Express routinely moves tissue samples etc. through the regular Express network. You're not going to utilize CC for a small sample. You might use CC for a shipment of perishable vaccines, which need to go onto a refrigerated truck...not one tissue sample. I've seen LD3s go onto CC trucks, including the refrigerated LD3s. Sorry, but you don't understand your own company CJinx.

TUT

Following the link given above... (And don't be afraid to open up all the categories on the left)

There are a lot of services under Custom Critical. They would certainly move a single piece. Now you'll pay for it... But paintings for example can and do use Custom Critical, they would not be a daily shipment nor bulk. But high value.

Custom Critical Air Expedite:
Any size: From Cessnas to Antonovs, we can accommodate all sizes of freight, from hand-carry items to oversized shipments.

Put it this way, something has to be important enough or these services wouldn't exist. A life/death threatening item has to be a target for this service, no? Perhaps even Temp Control services should have been used, that is ping'd back to Fedex and monitored from A to B, so if it stopped moving and/or started heat/cooling, they would know immediately and it wouldn't be stuck in some hub sort, this works outside of that. Many of these services would not be seen by standard drivers.

I get a shipper would think and they'd be right almost always that using Fedex Express would be good enough. But "almost always" perhaps isn't "good enough" in a case like this. Once you are burnt, you'll be in a conference with in-house logistics reviewing what should have happened and what is to happen moving forward. My guess is if they brought in the Fedex Sales team after a failure like this, Custom Critical would be the target.

My other guess would be if the lady were to sue, the policies Fedex has are strong and then it could be looked at as negligence with the Hospital using improper services for the critical task and the suit may change towards the Hospital.

My bottom line is UPS and Fedex (general services) are good. But they aren't critically good. Both companies have whole divisions set up for critical pieces. To me a medical product like this would fall into "critical care" and higher grade services yet should be used. I think it's at worst, learn your lesson once and then no screwing around after if you are the Hospital. When was the last time they had any problem ok'ing a cost of a product or service? The next time will be the first... Bill it!

Last edited:

CJinx

These aren't samples or drug kits or vaccines that can simply be replaced. It's a tissue sample that is one of a kind, because the woman is no longer in a position to give another. Coupled with the fact that the results of analysis determine whether or not she needs chemotherapy and all the wonderful side effects that entails, it would seem that Custom Critical services would be well worth the cost to ensure a successful delivery.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
These aren't samples or drug kits or vaccines that can simply be replaced. It's a tissue sample that is one of a kind, because the woman is no longer in a position to give another. Coupled with the fact that the results of analysis determine whether or not she needs chemotherapy and all the wonderful side effects that entails, it would seem that Custom Critical services would be well worth the cost to ensure a successful delivery.

You still don't get it. CC is a small truckload operation, emphasis on the word truck. This woman's package would still move through the Express system and then be met at the ramp by one CC truck, which will then deliver the pkg? That's assuming one is even available. CC is designed for specialized medical transport of small truckload items etc. I guess I'm going to have to draw a diagram.

CJinx

No, *you* still don't get it.
On-board courier service falls under the custom critical services umbrella and is perfectly suited for the task of delivering a one-of-a-kind medical sample such as this one.
Maybe you should find out more about Custom Critical before attempting to post "gotchas" on the forum.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
No, *you* still don't get it.
On-board courier service falls under the custom critical services umbrella and is perfectly suited for the task of delivering a one-of-a-kind medical sample such as this one.
Maybe you should find out more about Custom Critical before attempting to post "gotchas" on the forum.

Sigh...I give up. You are the perfect FedEx employee.