lunch break question?

Coldworld

60 months and counting
This is the time of year which I do work through some of my lunches, sometimes unpaid too. Time spent with family around the holidays is worth WAY MORE than an extra $30-$45. If I can get home an hour early around the holidays to spend time with the family (before they all go to sleep) I am a much happier man, compared to seeing a little extra money in my paycheck.

That's sad to hear....

Integrity

Binge Poster
This is the time of year which I do work through some of my lunches, sometimes unpaid too. Time spent with family around the holidays is worth WAY MORE than an extra $30-$45. If I can get home an hour early around the holidays to spend time with the family (before they all go to sleep) I am a much happier man, compared to seeing a little extra money in my paycheck.
brown_trousers,

Although your reasons for doing the wrong thing are admirable. Family is and always should be one's first ministry.

It doesn't justify working for free.

It is not about the money. It is about the truth and principle.

If a large corporation and its broken local management can intimidate, overwork, and coherce the workforce into working for free and each and every person exposed to this doesn't stand up to it, then you can surely expect more of the same.

Working for free should never be tolerated.

Sincerely,
I

Backlasher

Stronger, Faster, Browner
What these fake lunchers don't seem to understand is how the false entering of a lunch while working causes the route to appear to run faster then it actually does.

Not only are you robbing yourself that 1/2 hr. but you are also causing a trend on that route and I.E. or management will EVENTUALLY REDUCE THE TIME ALLOWANCE because past records showing route running faster sphor.

I have NO respect for this. Yes, I did get caught in the moment when I started covering and was just as guilty as you but then I woke up.

You see the routes were no matter how hard you burn through it, you are still overallowed by a large margine even though you run it faster then the bid driver.
Part of the reason a routes time allowance is so bad is due to to many FAKE LUNCHERS on said route.

You justify by going home early. Well, wake up cause soon enough it will catch up and you'll be running that same route with add cuts and 165 or so stops @350+ pieces and 80 miles with an 8 hr. time allowance "a light day" that even with skipping lunch and fake breaks will still not come close to scratch.

You might just get stuck on that route to and have a long stressed out career ahead of you and skipping breaks just to clean it up and get home for bed.

Or you might be on call and lucky to work once a week cause of a cut route that you helped cause.

You ever see domino's fall? get the drift take a lunch

Ask yourself this, would you rather
A- clock out late with less stops taking lunch and working safe?
or
B-clock out late with MORE stops skipping lunch and not doing it safe risking accidents or injuries
while manager tells you how over-allowed you are then next morning?

Think about yourself, your co-workers and the Bid driver who has that route!!!!

If they are gonna reduce Time allowance and cut effeted routes and enforce it, Don't let yourself be one of the reasons they did it.

Get the big picture. Cover drivers don't get bonus either. How much $ do you stand to loss by throughing away your lunch and I'm sure you are running threw your 10 minute breaks???

@ cover driver bottem is $16.10

Lunch 0.5HR. Plus 2 10 minute breaks = 50 mins.= .833 hr.s (decimal form) @5 days = 4.165 hrs. weekly X $16.10= $67.0565

the breaks will probably have you over 8 hrs on a large sum of routes so calculate this weekly sum by 1.5(overtime rate). That's $100.58 rounde off.

So you loss $100.58 weekly at bottom rate of $16.10

Lets say deducting vacations and holidays and a lay off day periodically your working 45 weeks a yr.

$100.58X45wk=$4526.31.

I don't know what progression pay you are @ so you do the math. How much do you lose??

@ minimum $4526.31 yrly. What could you do with that?? Nothing cause you don't have it. Your manager has it in there bonus though so why don't you ask them what they do with it?

AND NO, all that $ you give away and ALL that time allowance that you help screw up WILL NOT GET YOU HIRED AS A PERMINENT FULL TIMER AND THEREFORE YOU WILL NOT BE WORKING YOUR TIME TOWARDS TOP DRIVER RATE OF $31 HRLY ANY FASTER.

It goes by winning a bid BY SENIORITY< not PRODUCTION. You don't gain seniority by faking your breaks.

I want to take it easy on you but then I don't.

Look out for yourself and work smart and safe. Think about all the long term effects. Be productive but be responsable.

Get the big picture as they say.

Sorry for the speach guys but we have 3 confest lunch fakers here and we wonder why time allowances are screwed up.

One day, they to will be on a cut up no time allowance route and skipping lunch just to get home to bed and wonder why. LOL

You want off early, look for another career and don't screw t up for the rest of us. We already have other influences screwing it up, we don't need a co worker helping them out.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Don't skip your lunch or integrity will find you and give you a big hug in his/hers latex supersuit.....not a pretty sight...skin has a tendency to stick to it.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Guys like this, that land on a route next to mine, allow me to take my lunch and theirs on a daily basis.
Bless you my son.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
What these fake lunchers don't seem to understand is how the false entering of a lunch while working causes the route to appear to run faster then it actually does.

Not only are you robbing yourself that 1/2 hr. but you are also causing a trend on that route and I.E. or management will EVENTUALLY REDUCE THE TIME ALLOWANCE because past records showing route running faster sphor.

I have NO respect for this. Yes, I did get caught in the moment when I started covering and was just as guilty as you but then I woke up.

You see the routes were no matter how hard you burn through it, you are still overallowed by a large margine even though you run it faster then the bid driver.
Part of the reason a routes time allowance is so bad is due to to many FAKE LUNCHERS on said route.

You justify by going home early. Well, wake up cause soon enough it will catch up and you'll be running that same route with add cuts and 165 or so stops @350+ pieces and 80 miles with an 8 hr. time allowance "a light day" that even with skipping lunch and fake breaks will still not come close to scratch.

You might just get stuck on that route to and have a long stressed out career ahead of you and skipping breaks just to clean it up and get home for bed.

Or you might be on call and lucky to work once a week cause of a cut route that you helped cause.

You ever see domino's fall? get the drift take a lunch

Ask yourself this, would you rather
A- clock out late with less stops taking lunch and working safe?
or
B-clock out late with MORE stops skipping lunch and not doing it safe risking accidents or injuries
while manager tells you how over-allowed you are then next morning?

Think about yourself, your co-workers and the Bid driver who has that route!!!!

If they are gonna reduce Time allowance and cut effeted routes and enforce it, Don't let yourself be one of the reasons they did it.

Get the big picture. Cover drivers don't get bonus either. How much $ do you stand to loss by throughing away your lunch and I'm sure you are running threw your 10 minute breaks???

@ cover driver bottem is $16.10

Lunch 0.5HR. Plus 2 10 minute breaks = 50 mins.= .833 hr.s (decimal form) @5 days = 4.165 hrs. weekly X $16.10= $67.0565

the breaks will probably have you over 8 hrs on a large sum of routes so calculate this weekly sum by 1.5(overtime rate). That's $100.58 rounde off.

So you loss $100.58 weekly at bottom rate of $16.10

Lets say deducting vacations and holidays and a lay off day periodically your working 45 weeks a yr.

$100.58X45wk=$4526.31.

I don't know what progression pay you are @ so you do the math. How much do you lose??

@ minimum $4526.31 yrly. What could you do with that?? Nothing cause you don't have it. Your manager has it in there bonus though so why don't you ask them what they do with it?

AND NO, all that $ you give away and ALL that time allowance that you help screw up WILL NOT GET YOU HIRED AS A PERMINENT FULL TIMER AND THEREFORE YOU WILL NOT BE WORKING YOUR TIME TOWARDS TOP DRIVER RATE OF $31 HRLY ANY FASTER.

It goes by winning a bid BY SENIORITY< not PRODUCTION. You don't gain seniority by faking your breaks.

I want to take it easy on you but then I don't.

Look out for yourself and work smart and safe. Think about all the long term effects. Be productive but be responsable.

Get the big picture as they say.

Sorry for the speach guys but we have 3 confest lunch fakers here and we wonder why time allowances are screwed up.

One day, they to will be on a cut up no time allowance route and skipping lunch just to get home to bed and wonder why. LOL

You want off early, look for another career and don't screw t up for the rest of us. We already have other influences screwing it up, we don't need a co worker helping them out.

Nice novel but this has nothing to do with time allowances.

Backlasher

Stronger, Faster, Browner
Nice novel but this has nothing to do with time allowances.

Okay, so say you fake out both breaks and lunches running through them. It now appears on that day that you ran 30+10 +10 min under what you actually did.
That makes your sporh increase.

say it toke 8 hrs to run 140 stops (false breaks include)= 17.5 sporh 140/8=17.5
real breaks token, 140 stops u clock out @ 8hrs 50min. (8.83)=15.85 140/8.83=15.85

is 17.5 sporh not faster then 15.85 ?

Now, do it enough times and it starts to be a trend for that route and route has a trend of running with a higher sporh.

Are you telling me it will go unnoticed.

Do u not think eventually based on the higher sporh that comes out of this will not have an effect???

when 50 min is deducted yet you still work through it then it has an effect, especially if done enough times.

On top of it all, the break skipper is paying ups $4500 minimum a yr to get himself screwed on time allowance in the future on said route.

really look @ this and be honest with it because it will be a factor in time allowance.

A simpler way is to look at how when u skip breaks your numbers look better. It's already calculated for u. look at a day faking breaks and a similar day on same route not skipping. look at the over/under results.

menotyou

bella amicizia
Allowances are for management to bicker over. I never paid any attention to that crap. Stop, grab package, deliver. Repeat. Take lunch between 3.5 and 5.5 hours. Take break at some point. Do pick-ups. Clock out. I friend that isn't good enough, I don't really care.

working up a sweat

I'm PT inside doing doubles during peak. Twi shift started at 17:30, worked till 22:35 and punched for lunch. Ate lunch and punched back in to report for 23:00 monthly safety committee meeting. DM(district manager) was at meeting. She saw me earlier loading air containers. She asked me when I punched for lunch, I told her 22:35. She told me to leave the meeting and finish my 1 hour lunch and report back to the 23:45 2nd half night shift start time. I missed safety meeting, but lunched as directed. Personally I would rather have sit in a comfy meeting room chair than a cafeteria plastic hard bench. LOL!

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Allowances are for management to bicker over. I never paid any attention to that crap. Stop, grab package, deliver. Repeat. Take lunch between 3.5 and 5.5 hours. Take break at some point. Do pick-ups. Clock out. If that isn't good enough, I don't really care.

You are supposed to take your break between the 2nd and 3rd hours. Try to keep up, Josie.

menotyou

bella amicizia
Page 190, Article 59, Meal Period.

10 minute break between the 2nd and 3rd hours.
So, is that when you take yours? I am just following your lead, worrying about what others do to detract from what I might be doing.
When do you lunch, Nanc? Between the 3.5 mark and the 5.5 mark?

menotyou

bella amicizia
I just found it amusing that I had to quote the contract to Josie Union.
Had to? Amusing? No, I think not. I fear it was, yet, another attempt to defame me in your own sick/weird way. That is what you were up to. What you are always up to. That little boy in the corner with a chubby who thinks that since I might not take my break according to the contract, that I am violating some cardinal rule. Sad, sad that little boy never read my posts about how I personally feel on this subject.