Lunch Runners

DumbTruckDriver

Allergic to cardboard.
I don’t work during my lunch. I just take mine at the end of the day since I run a satellite route since I have to load my truck and don’t put my 1st stop of till after 11. If I worked out of the building I would take my 1hr lunch.The satellite drivers have alway done it this way for 10+ years not a word ever said.
Just because they let you get away with it doesn’t make it right. If those satellite drivers had been taking breaks when they were supposed to the past 10 years, they might have forced mgmt to reduce their workload and put another route in.

Just because they let you get away with it doesn’t make it right. If those satellite drivers had been taking breaks when they were supposed to the past 10 years, they might have forced mgmt to reduce their workload and put another route in.
How? A 10 hour work day with a lunch is still a 10 hour day without a lunch.

Whither

Scofflaw
The commits! Those 30 minutes (in the Central) to an hour (elsewhere) were especially crucial when we still had 1500 commits. And they still matter on commercial routes with heavy pickups.

Appvol

The year before I made $3000 in grievances. Last year they kept more routes in and only made about $1000. Lunch has nothing to do with 9/5. The company thinks if they force a 1hr lunch that the non lunch takers will work harder to still get done at the same time they always do. It’s always at this time of year when they do this in our area.

The commits! Those 30 minutes (in the Central) to an hour (elsewhere) were especially crucial when we still had 1500 commits. And they still matter on commercial routes with heavy pickups.
Very few commits on resi routes. No commits on satellite routes.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Taking your lunch at the end of the day defeats the purpose of lunch. You are take dinner at the end of the day.
Totally illegal to do in my local. Besides, all that does is to serve to speed up the paid day. Helps the company bump up stop counts, robs the driver of pay.

Foolish to do especially if you are falsifying the time card.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
No it's not. I break off for lunch. May put on more miles doing so, plus may have to take longer to move stuff for pickups, etc. Just by taking lunch, I do less stops in the same 10 hours.

Runner-Gunners never seem to realize this.

Seymour Packages

Taking my full lunch every day, delivering every package to the door in the apartment buildings on my route, driving to a restroom instead of pissing in a bottle like some sort of war captive, and religiously following the methods has allowed another split route to consistently run with work that used to be crammed into my 7000 and 8000 section when I bid on this route. The previous driver used to drop all of the packages in the lobby of apartments, never took his lunch, and was an all around runner. SLOW DOWN. It will save your body, make you money, and force this company to utilize all of its drivers, routes, etc.

DumbTruckDriver

Allergic to cardboard.
Taking the hour break in the middle of the day as opposed to the end of the day has you delivering in the dark. I don’t know about you, but I deliver slower in the dark, especially on a rural route.

Whither

Scofflaw
Supposed to have [businesses] delivered by 5 if you know they close 5 or later. If you don’t get to them by 5 and they are closed you sheet them up missed.
Very few commits on resi routes. No commits on satellite routes.

Also if you have any scheduled or on-call pickups, then taking lunch at a reasonable/contractually-required time could very well necessitate extra windshield time to make service.

Appvol

Also if you have any scheduled or on-call pickups, then taking lunch at a reasonable/contractually-required time could very well necessitate extra windshield time to make service.
Don’t get windshield time. The center is hour away though. If I have around 100 stops 75 to 80 miles in the day I work 10hrs most of the time. Got about 5 pickups 4 are smart pickups. Might pickup 5 to 10 pkgs a day.

Taking the hour break in the middle of the day as opposed to the end of the day has you delivering in the dark. I don’t know about you, but I deliver slower in the dark, especially on a rural route.
Sure I am a bit slower in the dark. But if I happen to do the same route for a few days in a row, I’m much more efficient. I always choose which stuff to save for dark. A 10 hour planned day, is still a 10 hour planned day.

No it's not. I break off for lunch. May put on more miles doing so, plus may have to take longer to move stuff for pickups, etc. Just by taking lunch, I do less stops in the same 10 hours.

Runner-Gunners never seem to realize this.
If you are putting on more miles, it is no longer a 10 hour day. You are increasing your 10 hour planned day. 9 out of 10 days I drive less miles, therefore I am turning a 10 hour planned day into say a 9 hour planned day. Even if I need to break for pick ups.

What'dyabringmetoday???

I do understand those that work off the clock during their 30 day qualification
That is an important one time period
But to do any work for this company for free is insane
Not only are you losing money, you are putting wear and tear on your body
You also risk an injury
Spend that time at home with your family or doing something like working out
Or just chill out and save your energy
Not sure what it's like in your neck of the woods, but where I am if a new hire has a pulse they are qualified.

Don’t get windshield time. The center is hour away though. If I have around 100 stops 75 to 80 miles in the day I work 10hrs most of the time. Got about 5 pickups 4 are smart pickups. Might pickup 5 to 10 pkgs a day.
So do you save some of the beginning of your rte (closest to your satellite) for the end after you drop your pick ups?