Lunch Runners

quad decade guy

Are they falsifying their lunch times? Any Diad activity during meal time entered is falsifying.

The union needs to request telematics reports for activity during meal times. Either that or put in a Diad timer. Driver starts break, Diad shuts down for set time. Truck better not be moving towards any stops.
This is exactly right.

And it will be used against them someday. Example: "Wait....how did you have an accident while on meal?" Or any other occurrence.

Just like speeding, UPS knows this is going on. And look the other way......until necessary.

What'dyabringmetoday???

Felt like bringing back this old thread since we’ve had problems in our center with this recently. Specifically, guys who would punch for lunch and then drive back to the building, or just not take them at all. Once the warning letters started flying, that put a stop to it. Still amazes me how willing some guys are to donate their own money back to the company.
But- they just "want to get done". Lol.

Spanky250

You can explain to people why they shouldn't do this until you're blue in the face, it won't stop them.

It's just like new drivers that run. I try to explain to them, you're only saving a few seconds at a stop, so all you're doing is completely wearing yourself out by the end of the day just to get done 5 minutes sooner. It doesn't stop them though.

You can explain to people why they shouldn't do this until you're blue in the face, it won't stop them.

It's just like new drivers that run. I try to explain to them, you're only saving a few seconds at a stop, so all you're doing is completely wearing yourself out by the end of the day just to get done 5 minutes sooner. It doesn't stop them though.
I can save 5 at one parking spot by being organized and grabbing more than 1 stop.

Red Devil

The Power of Connected
None of the other new drivers understand why I actually take a lunch. They look at me like I’ve got three heads when I tell them I took a full hour lunch. Yeah an hour is a little long but two ten minute breaks is not enough. I want to sit still and not work for a little while!

Two Tokes

Give it to me Baby

It is like talking to guys who come in and fix there car up for 30 or 40 minutes off the clock every day
I get not wanting a sheet show for a load but would never work for free

quad decade guy

It is like talking to guys who come in and fix there car up for 30 or 40 minutes off the clock every day
I get not wanting a sheet show for a load but would never work for free
Ok. But the bigger issue/question is.....why does this happen? What are the systemic and root causes? Veterans as well as mgt. know.

This has been going on for the 40 years I've been there. Why?

The answers are many from mgt doesn't care to lack of faith in the union for support. Incompetence of the preload on and on.

To survive, rookies do these things....cut corners and such. Why? It is said that productivity cannot be used for discipline. Fair enough.

It sure can when qualifying. Ex: being DQ'd.

It can lead to observation through physical presence to telematics. No? You aren't paying attention. You may not get terminated for productivity but it can lead to other reasons. No? It can and does. With the termination "sticking"? Absolutely.

Two Tokes

Give it to me Baby
Ok. But the bigger issue/question is.....why does this happen? What are the systemic and root causes? Veterans as well as mgt. know.

This has been going on for the 40 years I've been there. Why?

The answers are many from mgt doesn't care to lack of faith in the union for support. Incompetence of the preload on and on.

To survive, rookies do these things....cut corners and such. Why? It is said that productivity cannot be used for discipline. Fair enough.

It can lead to observation through physical presence to telematics. No? You aren't paying attention. You may not get terminated for productivity but it can lead to other reasons. No? It can and does. With the termination "sticking"? Absolutely.
I do understand those that work off the clock during their 30 day qualification
That is an important one time period
But to do any work for this company for free is insane
Not only are you losing money, you are putting wear and tear on your body
You also risk an injury
Spend that time at home with your family or doing something like working out
Or just chill out and save your energy

Whither

Scofflaw

It's been said here many times: drivers should work as though they are being observed by mgmt. We are paid to follow the methods. Savvy drivers know exactly how to use of those methods to hit them where it hurts -- by decreasing production even further in order to ensure everything is done exactly as the company wants. Even the simplest things, e.g., finding a 100% safe park position, a DR location 'out of weather and out of sight', driving to use the bathroom at the right spot in one's route, can add significant time to one's paid day. Then a driver follows Orion, and watch out, the clock keeps ticking haha.

It's an old tactic to counter production harassment, used at least since the Industrial Revolution: working to the rule.

quad decade guy

It's been said here many times: drivers should work as though they are being observed by mgmt. We are paid to follow the methods. Savvy drivers know exactly how to use of those methods to hit them where it hurts -- by decreasing production even further in order to ensure everything is done exactly as the company wants. Even the simplest things, e.g., finding a 100% safe park position, a DR location 'out of weather and out of sight', driving to use the bathroom at the right spot in one's route, can add significant time to one's paid day. Then a driver follows Orion, and watch out, the clock keeps ticking haha.

It's an old tactic to counter production harassment, used at least since the Industrial Revolution: working to the rule.
Ok.

But your statement alludes to conspiracy.

Just follow the methods and procedures and policies.

Let the chips fall where they will. Pretty simple.

Overpaid Union Thug

ORION + Full Hour Lunch + Following Methods + 9.5 List = Less Stops

quad decade guy

I do understand those that work off the clock during their 30 day qualification
That is an important one time period
But to do any work for this company for free is insane
Not only are you losing money, you are putting wear and tear on your body
You also risk an injury
Spend that time at home with your family or doing something like working out
Or just chill out and save your energy
Ok.

But it's not that simple.

You skipped over a whole bunch of stuff there.

Really important stuff.

Overpaid Union Thug

Management tried to pull me into the office for discipline one day. I looked directly into my supervisors eyes and said “ ORION 100%” and he said never mind get outta here!
🧔✊
I have never been pulled into the office for “numbers.” But I have had a sup walk up with a clip board and mention things on the fly. That seems to be the preferred method. They’ll walk around and show them to drivers and then apparently document it as them having “spoke with so and so about <insert random irrelevant production metric>“ so they can put it in our files. The last couple of times that’s happened my response was “Don’t care, and I’m off the clock.”