Lunch?

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Just out of curiosity ... how many feel there is a smudge on their shining Integrity when they drive a UPS asset and get paid to do so when they are on the clock to go somewhere to eat lunch?
Granted that I drove before the DIAD but I would have felt dishonest in doing so. I don't know what I would do now and I am glad I don't have to make a decision between Integrity and doing what the DOT says I should do.
Tough situation.

menotyou

bella amicizia
I got Old.
I dont want to give the impression i am a runner gunner,or sort my truck off the clock or an arse kisser . I have been in the union for 26 years, I am a methods Driver driver and do my job to the best of my ability every day. However i simply dont see this as an issue to make much noise about,simply isnt worth it to me personally. If it is a big issue for others than by all means take whatever actions you need to take.
Do whatever you feel comfortable with. No hate from me. Just a word of advice, if you did get a warning letter. Make sure you write a rebuttal grievance JUST TO COVER YOUR BUTT. Not to confront anyone, just butt covering. God forbid, you end up at a panel of any type and don't have a letter in your file explaining why you did whatever you did.
Good luck to you 728. I wish you a speedy retirement!:happy-very:

Catatonic

Nine Lives
i can see where you are coming from, but i pick and choose my fights. i may lose a little clocking out 3 or 4 minuets before i actually go to lunch but i dont have to deal with being on the 'Hit List' and having to talk to my supervisor anymore than i have to. I 'm less than 5 years from retirement and i try to stay under the radar. i'll let the younger guys fight those battles

weak, weak, weak

or it could be ... wise, wise, wise. :wink2:

menotyou

bella amicizia
Just out of curiosity ... how many feel there is a smudge on their shining Integrity when they drive a UPS asset and get paid to do so when they are on the clock to go somewhere to eat lunch?
Granted that I drove before the DIAD but I would have felt dishonest in doing so. I don't know what I would do now and I am glad I don't have to make a decision between Integrity and doing what the DOT says I should do.
Tough situation.

On my last route, I ate in my truck at my last stop before I started my pick-ups. Luckily for me, it was a plaza with Domino's, chinese, bowling alley, hair salon, Kinney's Drugs, and a grocery store(P & C). New route has same set-up, just different names. I ususally bring my lunch and eat in truck, anyways.
As for driving to a lunch spot on the clock, I feel no guilt. I drive 30 miles one way to work for free.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
As for driving to a lunch spot on the clock, I feel no guilt. I drive 30 miles one way to work for free.

Nice rationalization. I and everybody rationalize things so it makes us feel like we maintain our integrity.
Not throwing stones as we all do it ... like I always say, I've never met a person who did not feel they were full of Integrity.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Tough situation.

My integrity is smudgeless.

For me the issue is not about a restraunt that I might prefer, it is about finding a suitable place to park with a public restroom. You didnt equip the package car with a restroom, and you didnt position porta-potties along the trace you want me to follow. So you will pay me to drive the package car to one.

All of the contractors and laborers I see in my rural area have porta-potties on the jobsite. So do the road crews. Even the jail inmates who walk the roads picking up litter have a little porta-potty on a trailer behind the sheriffs van. Why should a UPS driver be treated any differently?

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Never met anybody that wasn't pretty good at rationalizing ... I like to think I'm pretty good at it too!

My last Center Manager told me that anyone who chose to bid on a rural route should be willing to bring handi-wipes and pee in the bushes. And she was being serious. How do you rationalize that?

Catatonic

Nine Lives
My integrity is smudgeless.

For me the issue is not about a restraunt that I might prefer, it is about finding a suitable place to park with a public restroom. You didnt equip the package car with a restroom, and you didnt position porta-potties along the trace you want me to follow. So you will pay me to drive the package car to one.

All of the contractors and laborers I see in my rural area have porta-potties on the jobsite. So do the road crews. Even the jail inmates who walk the roads picking up litter have a little porta-potty on a trailer behind the sheriffs van. Why should a UPS driver be treated any differently?

I am glad it is easy for you ... I would struggle.

ymelord

UPSer728 We have been instructed to so so,and failure to comply results in Warning Letters

I’m not saying to do this, because I would be encouraging a grievance, but may I suggest you read Article 37 sec. 1. There is a little something in there about intimidation. You can’t grieve a warning letter, but you can grieve the use of warning letters to try to intimidate you. If you receive more than one, there you go, that’s harassment. I know UPS hates Article 37’s so if you do file have lots of blank grievance papers on hand. Don’t work off the clock

Last edited:

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
UPSer728 We have been instructed to so so,and failure to comply results in Warning Letters

Don’t work off the clock

I never ever work off the clock,however driving two or three blocks with the sole intention of going to lunch isn't exactly what I call working.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
nah, i dont like confrontation,and again i have 4 years and some change until retirement. I have too much to lose to worry about 3 or 4 minuets a day.When i was younger i'd have been the first one in the office challenging the issue and begging for a warning letter to take so i could file on it.......... At this stage in my life and career it just aint worth getting upset about<shrug> flame away ,makes no difference to me.

I understand what you are saying, but what bothers me the most - people who make special deals that roll downhill. It is not as though your actions only affect you, you're setting an example farther down the line.

You're giving away your lunch (along with others) against DOT regs and likely giving management the trump card to push around younger employees "well so-and-so 30 year driver does it so everyone should including YOU"

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Not to derail the thread, however like I've said before, we have stewards who bend and break the contract all of the time- and what ends up happening is that it continues on down the line. I deal with this every day personally and surely am not alone.

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
I understand what you are saying, but what bothers me the most - people who make special deals that roll downhill. It is not as though your actions only affect you, you're setting an example farther down the line.

You're giving away your lunch (along with others) against DOT regs and likely giving management the trump card to push around younger employees "well so-and-so 30 year driver does it so everyone should including YOU"

Mountain meet Mole Hill ,jeez 3 or 4 min hardly qualifies as' giving my lunch away' . I'm not making a special deal either. My supervisor has instructed us to do this so in essence I am working as directed. Our steward told us he feels we should follow this order ,so it appears from my vantage point both sides support this position.

CharleyHustle

Tough situation.

Should I ask a manager or supervisor if they feel guilty about all the smoking they do (outside) when their desks are full and so many things need fixed? Almost every day I see management and hourly discussing personel and non-work related issues while at work and on the clock, should this stop? Can I talk to the OMS, many do. It boils down to what type of enviorment do you want. There's a line between right and wrong when taking your lunch. The union and the company with help from state and federal law can pretty easily draw the line. I think there are very, very few who would screw the company consistantly on the time or place you take lunch. But just like everything else, UPS choses to make a mountain out of a molehill.