Lunch?

brownman15

3 or 4 minutes each way,6 or 8 minutes a day,30 to 40 minutes a week,120 to 160 minutes a month,23 to 32 hours a year,$702.00 to $977.00 ....theres your mole hill into a mountain. I personally prefer the $977.00 in my bank acct,not theirs.

also a $1500 fine from dot for not unreported hrs

brownman15

Can someone please post the DOT laws that have been referred to in this thread? i did a glance thru google and could not find any of these DOT laws that say as drivers we must be paid for moving company equipment when the sole intent of moving equipment is to take a break. I dont mean this in a sarcastic or confrontational nature,i'd sincerely like to see them. i'm rather computer challenged and quite possibly looked past orv over looked them.

As far as doing something wrong, I am certainly in the minority here in feeling I am doing the right thing but that is fine with me.This issue has been a 'hot issue' in our center and I have no desire to be on 'the List' for breaking trace

http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/rules-regulations/truck/driver/hos/fmcsa-guide-to-hos.pdf

kingOFchester

How about a driver who takes their lunch when driving back to the hub? They make their last stop, clock out for lunch, drive back to the building, punch back in from lunch, punch out for the day.
Also know several drivers who punch out while driving back to the building in order to avoid being over 9-5.

Integrity

Binge Poster
How about a driver who takes their lunch when driving back to the hub? They make their last stop, clock out for lunch, drive back to the building, punch back in from lunch, punch out for the day.
Also know several drivers who punch out while driving back to the building in order to avoid being over 9-5.
kingOFchester,

I would immediately report this conduct to the steward.

Any steward working with Integrity and not against him should be able to address this issue firmly and effectively.

Sincerely,
I

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I had never heard of anyone taking their lunch while driving back to the center. As Integrity said, this needs to be brought to the steward's attention.

I will admit that I have done the second one a few times, each time losing less than 5 minutes. I also admit to punching out 1 minute past 9.5 if I was knowingly sent out over dispatched simply to make a statement.

ymelord

Upstate "I will admit that I have done the second one a few times, each time losing less than 5 minutes. I also admit to punching out 1 minute past 9.5 if I was knowingly sent out over dispatched simply to make a statement".

Did you teach them a lesson punching out 1 minute after?

Last edited:

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Upstate "I will admit that I have done the second one a few times, each time losing less than 5 minutes. I also admit to punching out 1 minute past 9.5 if I was knowingly sent out over dispatched simply to make a statement".

Did you teach them a lesson punching out 1 minute after?

It got their attention.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Don't forget the ones who put extra lunch time in the board so they won't show over 9.5.

I had never heard of anyone taking their lunch while driving back to the center. As Integrity said, this needs to be brought to the steward's attention.

I will admit that I have done the second one a few times, each time losing less than 5 minutes. I also admit to punching out 1 minute past 9.5 if I was knowingly sent out over dispatched simply to make a statement.
When they see 9.51 on the OR they know what you're saying.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
​I refuse to do any of the above.

SmithBarney

I'm sure All been said before,
Get in an accident while on break.. not good.
granted unless it changed at UPS you can put your break in later. now that I'm at FedEx we get locked out of our Powerpads(DIADS) during break.
Rural routes etc when I was at UPS, as long as you were traveling along "trace" you could drive to your break on the clock.
But according to DOT, moving the vehicle is working, not resting... so driving on break is a nono... but ups(and fedex) managers look the otherway until something bad happens...

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

We have a couple of drivers who coach baseball teams. One of them had an early game (6pm) on Friday so he delivered his area, came in at 5:15, put 5:15-6:00 in the DIAD for lunch, and asked the OMS to punch his DIAD out for him after he finished his "lunch" while he went to his game.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
We have a couple of drivers who coach baseball teams. One of them had an early game (6pm) on Friday so he delivered his area, came in at 5:15, put 5:15-6:00 in the DIAD for lunch, and asked the OMS to punch his DIAD out for him after he finished his "lunch" while he went to his game.
They could both lose their jobs for that. That was going on around here for a while til the DM got word of it.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
The center manager has not yet heard about this one--he won't hear it from me.

This wouldn't be an issue if we were allowed to run Code 5.
The job is what it is. He could have just worked though his lunch and made his game, but he didn't want to give up that 45 minutes. He's basically risking his job (and the OMS's job) for 45 minutes of paid time. That's not a percentage play.

idrivethetruck

Slow & steady wins the race.
This wouldn't be an issue if we were allowed to run Code 5.
05......the good old days! Daughter dancing in the school play? "05" and you got to see her smiling face and the little wave as she noticed you standing in the rear of the auditorium still in your browns. Not any more. Not unless the play doesn't start until 9pm.