"Lunch"

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
It was easy, I wasn't even forcing the issue! If I'm in brown polyester I want to be getting paid for it. If anything, it would be just go at a snails pace, clock out at 4:50 and get paid for the whole time. Maybe that's why my dispatches are how they are, if they give me a reasonable dispatch I don't sit on it, but if they ass me I say screw it. Part of being a good manager is knowing your employees and what works best for you and them!

I'm sorry you don't understand.
One day you will.
I was once like you and it caught up with me.

DorkHead

I was dispatched with a pretty easy day, I took 2 minutes of my paid break while I was fueling and 1 minute of my lunch right before I punched out. Punched out around 4:20, didn't run a step and didn't even go that fast. I can't believe some of you goofballs think I should of sat at Hardees for an hour twiddling my thumbs and punched out at 5:20. I can understand if I was getting lunch taken out even if I didn't take it, but I'm not!

You are a runner-gunner and some day it will catch up with you. Then you will come back here and cry about how hard you work for this company and they don`t appreciate it or some other BS sob story and even after that you will still run and gun because you know no other way. Not to mention screwing over your coworkers in the process. You disgust me.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
You are a runner-gunner and some day it will catch up with you. Then you will come back here and cry about how hard you work for this company and they don`t appreciate it or some other BS sob story and even after that you will still run and gun because you know no other way. Not to mention screwing over your coworkers in the process. You disgust me.

We need the runner gunners. They keep the Centers numbers up so the slackers can continue to be employed.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
The exact working in the Local Rider for 344 in the contact is as follows.

Article 5 Meal Periods

Section 1

All full-time employees shall receive thirty (30) minutes as a lunch period.

That's it. Seems open to interpretation.

brett636

It's strange that feeder drivers would be skipping their lunch. It is the easiest job in this company. The only feeder driver that would skip their lunch were the mileage runs. Next year, per DOT rules, any job over 8 hours is required to take a 30 minute meal period. If your feeder department has a hard time covering runs because you guys are taking your lunch, then your department has much bigger problems. Or management team MAKES hourly feeder drivers take our meals.

Unless you are mileage driver, not taking your meal is only taking money out of your own pocket. You say you never took your full meal, and in the same breath, you say you never worked through it either. Well, which is it? The less meal you take, the more work you have. To me, that doesn't make sense, because you say you want to get home sooner.

Don't take this personal, because I hold no malice towards you. But why are you here in the first place? Feeders is increasingly becoming saturated with burners from package car. They speed, skip their meal, neglect their pre-trip inspection and do their job just like package car. Except it isn't. A mistake in feeders could possibly cost lives in a way a package car couldn't come close to. And in feeders, you're only one mistake away from losing your job.

It amazes me how many of these new guys (burners) don't see that.

I believe you are jumping the gun here. In my area we are allowed a 10 minute paid break and a 50 minute unpaid meal. We have always been required to take a meal, but until recently we have not been told specifically to take the full meal. I know of drivers who take 1 minute of meal all day. I normally take my 10 minute break and about 10-15 minutes of meal at the same time for a total down time of about 20-25 minutes. When I am showing my meal or break time the truck does not move, and I perform no company work while I am on meal so I am not losing anything and the company gains nothing during this time. The time listed as meal time is unpaid time so whether I take 10 minutes or the whole 50 my paycheck is not affected. The more meal I take the later I clock out because it just takes that much longer to finish my day since my downtime otherwise is non existent.

clarnzz

Naw, won't happen. I completely understand the fact that I could run -2 everyday, help drivers out, cover pickups daily and the moment I back into someones garage I would be treated just like anyone else.

clarnzz

We need the runner gunners. They keep the Centers numbers up so the slackers can continue to be employed.

It makes absolutely no differance to my center manager if I'm -2 or -.001 other than if I was helping them make their stops per car, but they don't count on me for that, we have about 7 drivers they do, I don't know how/why they do it.

We go though this usually in the winter when slow. They say all meal must be taken, then we get busy and they beg people to work thru their lunch. I come to work to make money and any time I have to sit and not get paid I'm not making money. Also everyone has their own routine and when you add more than an hour to the day now cut times are missed, pickups can't be made, trucks aren't back for the next driver and everyone is pissed. Why they insist on stirring the pot I will never know. They think that if they require meal they save 50min payroll but in reality it cost them more if I take meal. A 10min break can take 20 to 25 minutes by the time I slow down, exit the highway, sit through a couple lights, find a parking spot, inspect the equipment when I come back out, pull out and wait in traffic, get back to the highway and get up to speed now you do this 3 times a day and I'm getting 1.5 hours more OT plus not having to make 1 of my pickups. Down side is I'm away from the house 14.5 hrs instead of 12 hrs. This is the flavor of the month. It to shall pass.

Indecisi0n

We go though this usually in the winter when slow. They say all meal must be taken, then we get busy and they beg people to work thru their lunch. I come to work to make money and any time I have to sit and not get paid I'm not making money. Also everyone has their own routine and when you add more than an hour to the day now cut times are missed, pickups can't be made, trucks aren't back for the next driver and everyone is pissed. Why they insist on stirring the pot I will never know. They think that if they require meal they save 50min payroll but in reality it cost them more if I take meal. A 10min break can take 20 to 25 minutes by the time I slow down, exit the highway, sit through a couple lights, find a parking spot, inspect the equipment when I come back out, pull out and wait in traffic, get back to the highway and get up to speed now you do this 3 times a day and I'm getting 1.5 hours more OT plus not having to make 1 of my pickups. Down side is I'm away from the house 14.5 hrs instead of 12 hrs. This is the flavor of the month. It to shall pass.

to4fd0e121.jpg

jaker

trolling
I was about to take lunch yesterday and then I hear that they can't cover a ups store and the driver that picks it up still had 30 stops , not hard to figure out I punch out and went home

I am 50/50 on lunches if it helps me I will skip them , if it hurts them I will take it

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!
I hear ya, but our stops per car isn't going to change whether I take my full lunch or not. I'm so happy I don't have to.

Actually it will, If every driver takes their full lunch, and holds the company accountable to the 9.5 language they would have no choice but to put in enough routes.

grgrcr88

Most of our routes are 60 minute lunches and a 10 minute paid break. Fortunately for me, I have one of a few routes that are only required to take 30 minute lunch.

How is that? Lunch periods are contractually agreed to by both parties. All members are covered by the contract, any other agreements are extra contract agreement which is strictly not allowed.

grgrcr88

Supplements take precedence over the master---ours says 45 minutes.

Believe me I am well aware that tha supplements take precidence, unless otherwise stated. If you read the quote you would understand what I am saying. He states that "MOST" are 60 minutes but his is 30. All are the same and if he is doing something different, that is an extra contract agreement.

clarnzz

Took 30 minutes yesterday since I ran into an old friend and we talked for a while. Punched out around 5:45, congrats to the PT I just created a route for today.