Made "book", or "graduated" or "qualified" or whatever the hell you call it.

Dumbo

Been a week since I qualified. I had ran 30 min or so under allowed every day since my 2nd week. I really like our supervisors and management at my Center. The drivers at our center have a generally positive attitude and are really helpful. Reading this site I never would have thought I could have done it, and actually enjoy it. Yes, it's stressful at times, and yes it not for everyone, but if you have a good work ethic, and a thick skin, you can do it. It sucks some days when I'm in it, but at the end of the day I feel a sense of accomplishment, a sense of being a hard worker for my money, and a sense of comradery.

I've been thrown out blind several times now, in the dark, cold, starting with a blown out truck and I take it one stop at a time and don't get overly stressed.

Saturday sucked. We all had blown out trucks which we were still loading an hour after we started work, I had 210 stops, tons of apartments with closed offices which I had to bring back, and didn't get back until 930. But damn it felt good to make 5 1/2 hours of OT.

You can do this job if you have the right attitude. There are hubs hiring drivers off the streets regardless of what you see on this site...they cannot find enough people who actually can do the work or want to work hard. It's a new generation of work ethic and it's not easy to find hard workers. I also appreciate that although they are so short on drivers, they uphold their safety standards and absolutely will not just give people a pass. Lots of people still wash out.

scooby0048

This page left intentionally blank
Been a week since I qualified. I had ran 30 min or so under allowed every day since my 2nd week. I really like our supervisors and management at my Center. The drivers at our center have a generally positive attitude and are really helpful. Reading this site I never would have thought I could have done it, and actually enjoy it. Yes, it's stressful at times, and yes it not for everyone, but if you have a good work ethic, and a thick skin, you can do it. It sucks some days when I'm in it, but at the end of the day I feel a sense of accomplishment, a sense of being a hard worker for my money, and a sense of comradery.

I've been thrown out blind several times now, in the dark, cold, starting with a blown out truck and I take it one stop at a time and don't get overly stressed.

Saturday sucked. We all had blown out trucks which we were still loading an hour after we started work, I had 210 stops, tons of apartments with closed offices which I had to bring back, and didn't get back until 930. But damn it felt good to make 5 1/2 hours of OT.

You can do this job if you have the right attitude. There are hubs hiring drivers off the streets regardless of what you see on this site...they cannot find enough people who actually can do the work or want to work hard. It's a new generation of work ethic and it's not easy to find hard workers. I also appreciate that although they are so short on drivers, they uphold their safety standards and absolutely will not just give people a pass. Lots of people still wash out.

Good job, enjoy the rest of your miserable life here at UPS.

Dumbo

Good job, enjoy the rest of your miserable life here at UPS.

Lol. Maybe you're right but I've worked miserable jobs before, and there are a ton of professions where you are gone from your family a lot. I've always liked blue collar work, so with the benefits and pay, I'm happy.

Dumbo

You have a good positive attitude about the job. UPS management will correct that attitude after Peak is over and we don't need you anymore.

Per contract I'm guaranteed 8 hours no matter what. I would think peak would be when the worst of the management attitudes come out, not when it's slow and easy for everyone. At my center the Center manager and the sups all get their hands dirty. On Saturday they were all there loading trucks.

Lol. Maybe you're right but I've worked miserable jobs before, and there are a ton of professions where you are gone from your family a lot. I've always liked blue collar work, so with the benefits and pay, I'm happy.
I imagine most of these jobs do not intentionally try and make the job as miserable as possible.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS

Hold on to those thoughts forever

Then get back here in 10 years

Hope you still feel the same way

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
Per contract I'm guaranteed 8 hours no matter what. I would think peak would be when the worst of the management attitudes come out, not when it's slow and easy for everyone. At my cell terms the Center manager and the sups all get their hands dirty. On Saturday they were all there loading trucks.

Brotha never seen slow and easy for everyone lemme know when you find it

Per contract I'm guaranteed 8 hours no matter what. I would think peak would be when the worst of the management attitudes come out, not when it's slow and easy for everyone.
You will not be driving after Peak but working inside loading or unloading at a much lower rate. Anymore there is no slow and easy days. Just lay off more drivers and bury the ones left.

Dumbo

I imagine most of these jobs do not intentionally try and make the job as miserable as possible.

I think that varies from place to place. I definitely have no sense since I started that they intentionally try to make a miserable work place. They have things they need to accomplish, you have things you have to accomplish, and you're just an idiot if you come into a job like this and think it's all going to be sunshine and roses.

Dumbo

You will not be driving after Peak but working inside loading or unloading at a much lower rate. Anymore there is no slow and easy days. Just lay off more drivers and bury the ones left.

The pay rate is guaranteed per contract. As long as I get my 8 at my rate and the insurance then I'll sit and load trucks instead. I don't care.

I think that varies from place to place. I definitely have no sense since I started that they intentionally try to make a miserable work place. They have things they need to accomplish, you have things you have to accomplish, and you're just an idiot if you come into a job like this and think it's all going to be sunshine and roses.
And then UPS changes management and you are just another unit of work and all that busting ass means nothing to the new team.

Dumbo

And then UPS changes management and you are just another unit of work and all that busting ass means nothing to the new team.

What does it matter? Even if you have a :censored2:ty manager, just work as directed and go home at the end. Don't take it home with you. I have worked with bad managers in several jobs. UPS isn't unique when it comes to bad management. That's just part of life. Suck it up and don't take it personally.

The pay rate is guaranteed per contract. As long as I get my 8 at my rate and the insurance then I'll sit and load trucks instead. I don't care.
Your pay rate is guaranteed as long as you are driving. Inside is a different pay rate. And you are only guaranteed 3 1/2 hours per PT sort. And those sorts could be 12 hours apart.

What does it matter? Even if you have a :censored2:ty manager, just work as directed and go home at the end. Don't take it home with you. I have worked with bad managers in several jobs. UPS isn't unique when it comes to bad management. That's just part of life. Suck it up and don't take it personally.
The only way you will keep this job in the long run. That and get to know your BA and the contract.

rod

Retired 22 years
Per contract I'm guaranteed 8 hours no matter what. I would think peak would be when the worst of the management attitudes come out, not when it's slow and easy for everyone. At my center the Center manager and the sups all get their hands dirty. On Saturday they were all there loading trucks.

You are wrong Grasshopper. After peak you will find out. Good luck.

scooby0048

This page left intentionally blank

You are only guaranteed hours if they are available and you come in to work.