Massive Waste of Teamster's Dues Money Goes Unpunished

TimeForChange

This has to do with UPS Teamsters, because a lot of the money wasted came from the dues money paid by them.

BigBrown1234

This has to do with UPS Teamsters, because a lot of the money wasted came from the dues money paid by them.

I’m assuming this goes on everywhere. I questioned this kind of stuff in my Local too. I filed a ton of Labor Board charges ULP’s, then I showed my buddies and we pounded the company and the Union with charges over and over until we got the results we were looking for. The unfortunate thing is. The NLRB really only seems to regulate or mediate Company and Union representative relationships.

The DOL under the LMRDA seem to only force the TITLEs which cover mandatory elections and transparency with union dues expenditures (LM-2).

Labor Management Reporting and Disclosure Act (LMRDA) TITLE I — Union Member’s Bill of Rights seem to only be enforceable through a private attorney.
I was trying to find out how to use the union’s attorneys because our due money pays their wages and they ultimately serve the members, but I haven’t figured out this angle.
The union attorney started to try and get in the mix with me complaining about ULP’s then I told them I was going to file a complaint with the BAR and I never heard from them again.

BigBrown1234

My experiences trying to go through internal union procedures are a joke. The E board is not going to go against the establishment. They protect each other. The International the Joint council, they are all composed of the same people holding all these same jobs and appointed to these special committees all individually compensated.

We the members are supposed to Police ourselves, it’s our union. Not enough members are educated on how the system works and they either don’t care or are too lazy to get involved. But that’s how the officers want it. Knowledge is power and they like the members ignorant because there won’t be a threat to losing an election.

Trying to hold them accountable is hard. They can change the rules in a second with the majority BOARD approval. The IBT constitution and By-Laws are nothing more than DOL regulations.

104Feeder

Phoenix Feeder
Organizers also do internal organizing, and organizers travel a lot hence the large allowance.
It's not unusual for local principal officers to serve for other locals or on committees for which they draw a salary for. Not really surprised the IDO ignored your complaint, especially when you are assuming the salary he was paid for being GM based on what the previous GM was paid. I think you need a hobby.

BigBrown1234

I recently went to a General membership meeting and asked the President how many salaried union positions he held, how much each of them paid and he refused to answer.

I then attempted to hold him accountable to some type of performance standard to justify his pay and he cursed at me in the middle of the meeting even though I was following Roberts Rules of Order.

I explained to him that out of his 2000+ years in office as an organizer that if UPS paid him to gain customers at his success rate UPS would have went out of business years ago.

I told him that he is unsuccessful at one job, how can he hold several jobs. I asked him when he performs his vice president job at the Joint council if he takes a leave of absent to perform his duties at other jobs and whom takes over for him while he is absent. He responded by laughing and saying he is very talented. I asked the membership why they were ok with this while I was standing in the middle of the room and everyone just looked down.

I explained it’s like the mayor or police chief trying to run San Francisco, Oakland, and San Jose all at the same time collecting several pay checks. I said its obvious if you’re focused on one city/job then the others will lack.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
I recently went to a General membership meeting and asked the President how many salaried union positions he held, how much each of them paid and he refused to answer.

I then attempted to hold him accountable to some type of performance standard to justify his pay and he cursed at me in the middle of the meeting even though I was following Roberts Rules of Order.

I explained to him that out of his 2000+ years in office as an organizer that if UPS paid him to gain customers at his success rate UPS would have went out of business years ago.

I told him that he is unsuccessful at one job, how can he hold several jobs. I asked him when he performs his vice president job at the Joint council if he takes a leave of absent to perform his duties at other jobs and whom takes over for him while he is absent. He responded by laughing and saying he is very talented. I asked the membership why they were ok with this while I was standing in the middle of the room and everyone just looked down.

I explained it’s like the mayor or police chief trying to run San Francisco, Oakland, and San Jose all at the same time collecting several pay checks. I said its obvious if you’re focused on one city/job then the others will lack.
Wasted time and effort, honestly. I'd rather read a book and learn something than waste time trying to infiltrate a middle-school level education boys club.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
I only hope none of the Big Union people see this thread. Lol.

Rookie.

Organizers also do internal organizing, and organizers travel a lot hence the large allowance.
It's not unusual for local principal officers to serve for other locals or on committees for which they draw a salary for. Not really surprised the IDO ignored your complaint, especially when you are assuming the salary he was paid for being GM based on what the previous GM was paid. I think you need a hobby.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt

Why didn't you just review the LM-2 reports ?

I then attempted to hold him accountable to some type of performance standard to justify his pay

Umm.... OK.

But, you will complain if UPS does it to you ?

-Bug-

BigBrown1234

Why didn't you just review the LM-2 reports ?

I would if I knew all the ones he is on. Hence why I asked him how many jobs he holds

Umm.... OK.

But, you will complain if UPS does it to you ?

Yet UPS does need to make money to exist, and that came from my BA

Then how do you think we should vote when it comes to elections? (If they seem kinda cool)

-Bug-

A

Article 3

I’m assuming this goes on everywhere. I questioned this kind of stuff in my Local too. I filed a ton of Labor Board charges ULP’s, then I showed my buddies and we pounded the company and the Union with charges over and over until we got the results we were looking for. The unfortunate thing is. The NLRB really only seems to regulate or mediate Company and Union representative relationships.

The DOL under the LMRDA seem to only force the TITLEs which cover mandatory elections and transparency with union dues expenditures (LM-2).

Labor Management Reporting and Disclosure Act (LMRDA) TITLE I — Union Member’s Bill of Rights seem to only be enforceable through a private attorney.
I was trying to find out how to use the union’s attorneys because our due money pays their wages and they ultimately serve the members, but I haven’t figured out this angle.
The union attorney started to try and get in the mix with me complaining about ULP’s then I told them I was going to file a complaint with the BAR and I never heard from them again.
It's like walking against the wind brother. You need a large crowd to back you up.

How about a JC attorney running your election? Good luck with that too.
It's not about members rights, it's about the good ol boys club and get ready if you take the lid off that jar.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
Are you saying the union is as corrupt and dishonest as the company?

Not at all.

There are other ways to find out the information, without being being a jerk

about it. Filing baseless Labor Board charges against your Local and trying

to accuse the elected Local President of malfeasance, is not the way to go.

Members might be surprised how much they can find out, just by being respectful

and asking nicely.

-Bug-

A

Article 3

Not at all.

There are other ways to find out the information, without being being a jerk

about it. Filing baseless Labor Board charges against your Local and trying

to accuse the elected Local President of malfeasance, is not the way to go.

Members might be surprised how much they can find out, just by being respectful

and asking nicely.

-Bug-
I agree. Charges should be a last resort.
Be sometimes necessary...
unfortunately.