Mechanic Position

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
Could not tell you from direct experience exactly because I was only a Teamster mechanic at another company. I would say the Teamsters have more clout. Teamster pay under the contract where I WAS at was much lower, but there was no progression.

Gear

Parts on Order
Im also IAM. The progression is 2 years. Starts off at just under 21. And goes-
3 months 1.50 raise
3 more months 1.50
6 more months 1.50
6 more months 1.50
6 more months-2 year mark top rate.
Health care free and excellent. Dental free and excellent. Vision free and good.
I think the pension is just over $89 a day. I see it as $11 hour. Straight time/40 hours only.

Shift 7p-330a. We can start up to 2 hours before or after the bid time. You pick the time and stick with it.

IAM vs Teamsters.
I would say IAM because of the pension.

I work 0 overtime. Some guys get a few hours. Enough to break $80,000 a year. Chances of me being daylight is 0. The closest feeder/tractor shop is a 1.5 hour drive away. Not to mention its based on seniority. Feeder/tractor shops are the only ones with daylight.

Gear

Parts on Order
Pros
Pay, benefits, vacation up to 6 weeks, we work unsupervised. See the bossman or woman a few days every 2-3 months. Most communication is done with email and phone calls.
#1----A comfortable retirement!

Cons
Night shift.
The progression for guys with experience. Being union, seniority rules. This could be a problem for guys with your experience. If they hired some tech school reject or just some turd before you, he will always be "ahead" of you. This can be a hard pill to swallow when that guy is 21 and greener then my teeth. Imagine getting $22 while some kid who should be handing you tools is making $10 more than you.

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
Funny how things vary so much across the country for people who are supposedly in the same union. Not like what Gear says here mostly.

Gear

Parts on Order
So gear
What is top pay rate
And is wage progression 2yrs.for Teamsters

$35.?? an hour. Few cents under 36. We'll be over 36 later this year.
Not sure what Teamster progression is. Ive heard Teamster mechs on here say 4 years. I have no idea what the pay increases during that time. Another benefit of IAM, since there are alot less of us, we can tweek things. I wouldn't think anyone cares about 12 Teamster mechs in a group of 300 Teamster drivers.

T-Dubya

Pros
Pay, benefits, vacation up to 6 weeks, we work unsupervised. See the bossman or woman a few days every 2-3 months. Most communication is done with email and phone calls.
#1----A comfortable retirement!

Cons
Night shift.
The progression for guys with experience. Being union, seniority rules. This could be a problem for guys with your experience. If they hired some tech school reject or just some turd before you, he will always be "ahead" of you. This can be a hard pill to swallow when that guy is 21 and greener then my teeth. Imagine getting $22 while some kid who should be handing you tools is making $10 more than you.

Gear,
What is the pension payment/month for IAM mechanics? I know the Teamster Master/National Contract is available on the IBT website but the mechanics in Columbus, OH are not Teamsters. The Teamsters contract denotes $3,000/month for 25 years of service and $3,700/month after 30 years. I've heard from a full time UPS driver that the IAM pension is much better. But how much better?

Gear

Parts on Order
Gear,
What is the pension payment/month for IAM mechanics? I know the Teamster Master/National Contract is available on the IBT website but the mechanics in Columbus, OH are not Teamsters. The Teamsters contract denotes $3,000/month for 25 years of service and $3,700/month after 30 years. I've heard from a full time UPS driver that the IAM pension is much better. But how much better?

A 30 year and out IAM mech said he's getting over $6,000 a month. That was 2 years ago. I never seen nor asked for proof.