Misloads Terminations

Cole

Here's what I suggest: Always communicate with the driver to confirm if it was indeed a misload, and also see if it was a "smart label" error, as well as the driver may know if sups threw/placed pkgs in the back of your truck after you left as they frequently do. Document all these type things, and also pas label errors are often hidden by the company, and everyday we have pkgs that are in our boards, but not on the truck, then the pkgs show up the nextday with no service cross etc...on them. Many times those pkgs when tracked show "left in building" which is falsified information. Document all these instances you can find, and fight back!

If they send you home, you folks need to watch the belts to see if the sups are finishing your work in violation of the contract. Art 3 sec 7 etc...Back each other up.

Good luck!!!

tieguy

Banned
Ah everything has to be an organized rebellion does it not.

I can't however defend a policy where one misload would get you fired. Clearly the contract language would never allow us to get away with such a thing. Seek your wisdom in your contract bible then go out and do the best job you can free from the fear of ups damnation.

aspenleaf

Remember this on United Way day.

I think giving to United Way is a good thing. Choosing to give should not be based upon what you think of UPS. United Way helps a lot of people and I have given to them for a few years. I didn't give for years because I thought the company I worked for at the time was ruthless and I wanted nothing to do with them. My views were changed when a woman who did not know me gave me and my husband her newborn to raise and I have given to United Way ever since to help others with adoption. What I like about United Way is they can take your small donation and make it go further than if you tried to do something with the money.

Just because I might get written up for misloads that may or may not been my fault should not impact if I give to United Way.

As for getting fired over misloads I would fight that. I do check with my drivers for each misload that is counted against me. Sometimes it was my fault and other times I can prove that it was not me. I don't usually have a misload problem so I am not worried about getting fired. But if my center went to a zero tolerance policy then I would be in trouble for having 1 every few weeks.

Goodluck to you and your fellow loaders. Keep us posted as to what happens.

W

westsideworma

I don't quite understand the relevance of misloads and the United Way. Can you explain further? Thanks

I think its a reference to give them nothing when your supe/manager comes and asks you to donate money to the United Way. They get really agitated sometimes when you refuse to do so. We're told that the PTimers at our hub give more than the FTimers...I think its just a ploy to get us to keep it up (if in fact we actually are) but who knows.

Personally, I donate to them and threats over misloads won't change that, but it may change how safe I work (pph) lol. It ain't worth going all out if I'm going to be threatened over it.

aspenleaf

I think its a reference to give them nothing when your supe/manager comes and asks you to donate money to the United Way. They get really agitated sometimes when you refuse to do so. We're told that the PTimers at our hub give more than the FTimers...I think its just a ploy to get us to keep it up (if in fact we actually are) but who knows.

Personally, I donate to them and threats over misloads won't change that, but it may change my pph lol.

I think the part-timers in my area give more also. A lot of people feel pressured and that makes them not give. I have my reasons for giving and it is not related to making UPS look better. It is a shame that folks who might have given don't becasue they don't like thier sup.

tieguy

Banned
The problem is most of the time with pas labels and the company wants to blame the loader.

If i may correct you on this one we want to blame someone. And in the process we blame everyone the loader, the driver, the sups and the manager for not fixing the problem.

hoser

Industrial Slob
I think giving to United Way is a good thing. Choosing to give should not be based upon what you think of UPS.

Find out how much the board of directors on the United Way make in your municipality alone and you won't give to them again. But yet again, it makes UPS looks bad :rolleyes:

upsdude

The problem is most of the time with pas labels and the company wants to blame the loader.

I don't see how the label could be the problem. Label says "100-4567", load the package in bay 100, not 101, not 99, load it in 100!

aspenleaf

Find out how much the board of directors on the United Way make in your municipality alone and you won't give to them again. But yet again, it makes UPS looks bad :rolleyes:

I am not sure why it would make UPS look bad. There are members on the board from UPS and FedEx and many other companies. Locally I am not sure who is on the board.

After checking out the United Way website I still believe they are doing good work. http://national.unitedway.org/ourwork/index.cfm?param=ourwork

W

westsideworma

If i may correct you on this one we want to blame someone. And in the process we blame everyone the loader, the driver, the sups and the manager for not fixing the problem.

too much blaming and not enough assuming responsibility and attacking the problem. Obviously something is wrong if we're having all these kinds of problems now since PAS has been implemented. Our preload (which used to give great service) didn't just up and decide to misload on purpose (which seems to be what they think) now that we're on PAS. I know brownblackandblue will come and say it works and its perfect and maybe it is working in his/her center, but those centers are in the minority from what I can see on this board. We have the guys from IE whining about misloads all the time. Funny thing is they covered a pull last week (it took 2 of them lol) they too had misloads, 5 to be exact, in one day...they just lost the right to complain about it in my mind. The pull next to them was also covered by various supes...I believe they had 10(!!!). People in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.

Our staffing is the worst its been since I've worked here. PAS was supposed to help that...its made it worse as they expect them to be amazing loaders on their first day now from the looks of it. Everyday they badger new hires over misloads, and if they get them down then they get on them about going faster...then they have more misloads...its pretty amusing. They wonder why no one wants to subject themselves to the physical and mental abuse...thats why 3 out 4 walk out the door at our building after a week or less...with the last one following a little later on usually. They don't understand why people won't stay...when its readily apparent to most of us. Crap hours, crap pay, crappy treatment...why would anyone stay? One new hire mentioned to me "do they ever say anything good about what you do here?" I was like it's been known to happen sometimes, stick around and you might witness it too. He quit soon after that. I have a reason(s) to be here, school monies and healthcare, and getting some management exeprience, but if I wasn't bothering with any of those things? I don't know how long I'd stick around. Most of these "kids" don't need those things. They just want some extra money and lets face it, pretty much everyone pays more than we do for less work, better hour, and less responsibilities.

aspenleaf

westsideworma ~ I must work in a good center. Yes we get in trouble for misloads but they also praise us when we do a good job. I actually love the job and I have to say that I am going to miss this job when I finally leave to be a nurse. I have never had a job where I was treated so well. There are stressful times when I am in trouble but when I look back at those times I can understand where my sup or manager are coming from. Sure I'd love to be paid more but we have good benefits and for a part-time job this is the best. Overall my management team is very good to work with.

I do find some of the things they do or say funny but they are good people just doing thier jobs. I do not know how the other centers in my building are but mine is good.

W

westsideworma

westsideworma ~ I must work in a good center. Yes we get in trouble for misloads but they also praise us when we do a good job. I actually love the job and I have to say that I am going to miss this job when I finally leave to be a nurse. I have never had a job where I was treated so well. There are stressful times when I am in trouble but when I look back at those times I can understand where my sup or manager are coming from. Sure I'd love to be paid more but we have good benefits and for a part-time job this is the best. Overall my management team is very good to work with.

I do find some of the things they do or say funny but they are good people just doing thier jobs. I do not know how the other centers in my building are but mine is good.

They're too focused on misloads here. When I started we used to be encouraged and such. They'd even reward you (and no I don't mean by going to the unload lol). Its just since PAS/management changes things have gotten progressively worse. There are 3 pulls without assigned preloaders on my line alone...thats pretty bad I'd say. Theres no one waiting in the wings anymore waiting to be hired.

There are a few management folk that I greatly respect in my building (can't name them obviously), but I will do whatever they need because they've always been good to me. They know the score, they know its not all on us, but theres not much they can do themselves. However its the wrong kind that usually make the demands here...and they're usually demands that seemingly lack any reasonable though process.

I have always been treated fairly because they know I'll speak up about it or do "something" to make it known that I've been royally screwed. Its the rare occasion they send me 1300 pieces and start me at 4 AND send me to the unload at various times that normally triggers me, but other than that they are good to me because I have stood my ground when needed.

aspenleaf

They do tend to focus on misloads here also but I don't feel threatened about it. They know that I get very upset when I have them as do most on my line. We do care and all work very hard to not have them. They do push us to do better but they don't yell at us. The manager who did yell about misloads is on another line and since he left things have been great.

As a team we preloaders bug each other when we see who had what misloads. When we find trends in misloads we share our info and we do watch out for each other. Many times they are not our fault but we do get the blame. No system is perfect and I have only worked with PAS so I can't compare it to what you all had before.

W

westsideworma

They do tend to focus on misloads here also but I don't feel threatened about it. They know that I get very upset when I have them as do most on my line. We do care and all work very hard to not have them. They do push us to do better but they don't yell at us. The manager who did yell about misloads is on another line and since he left things have been great.

As a team we preloaders bug each other when we see who had what misloads. When we find trends in misloads we share our info and we do watch out for each other. Many times they are not our fault but we do get the blame. No system is perfect and I have only worked with PAS so I can't compare it to what you all had before.

They mostly say things to new hires, they know people who have been here longer know better. And many times they aren't our fault and when they ARE and I know it I do take responsibility for it, because it was a mistake. However bad pals (system flips, out of syncs) should not be charged to us. THe only kind should be wrong cars.

We kid around with each other about misloads, but some people work very hard and still have them so its kind of hard to get on them too much haha. A guy I know pretty well used to have system flips and they were supposed to go to my truck. We'd let each other know when it happens so we'd get it right. Granted it happened everyday almost (this was during peak) but at least we caught them.

Before PAS there were no bad PALs, no system flips, no out of sync labels. It was harder to learn as all the streets that went on a truck were listed in alphabetical order and were color coded to match the colors on the load chart which had a representation of the shelves in the truck, but once you memorized them (took about a month for most), you rarely looked at the charts. Say the top shelf would be the red section, all the streets on the chart that were red would go in that section, another shelf would be half blue and the other yellow and again you'd match them up etc. This way you KNEW what streets were on your trucks and could easily identify something that didn't belong there. I would still be able to load the trucks I did with that system today if I had to lol as well as a couple other pulls that I started/covered back then in addition to mine. PAS is MUCH easier to learn, I will never dispute that as theres no possible way to do so. There just seem to be some flaws that are very hard to iron out.

The two line supes I've had were great, they try to encourage you and joke around with you. Theres also a FT supe that everyone respects. When he is not here, the whole operation doesn't run as smooth. Its not them, its more in the upper levels in the center that have seemingly lost touch with the operation that they run and the people that break their backs for them...which amazes me.

Cole

No, Tie, they don't blame the sups from what I have seen, but shift the blame all over, instead of looking at the proverbial elephant in the room, and that's the PAS system itself, which causes our customers more problems than are being told to your superiors. They wont to rush the pas people and evrybody else rather than doing it right the first time, then they put the wrong labels on, and then the system keeps the error, or they fix the error for about a month at best then it's right back as it was.

aspenleaf

No, Tie, they don't blame the sups from what I have seen, but shift the blame all over, instead of looking at the proverbial elephant in the room, and that's the PAS system itself, which causes our customers more problems than are being told to your superiors. They wont to rush the pas people and evrybody else rather than doing it right the first time, then they put the wrong labels on, and then the system keeps the error, or they fix the error for about a month at best then it's right back as it was.

In my center we had a very bad day of misloads - around 40. The sups were sent home for the day. So my sups do get blamed for our misloads which is why they get upset with us when we have them. Our sups also get yelled at for whatever we loaders do wrong. I have seen the manager walking down the line with the sups right behind him and he was telling what each loader was doing wrong and then he'd show the way he wanted us to do things.

The manager never yells at us but he once told me that he was yelling at my sup for me. What I had done to get my sup yelled at was stacking a bulk stop. He thought it should all be on the truck before break. Then he found another stack and before he could yell at my sup I told him that stack was stuff coming off the truck for a late cut and I had not had the time to write the new info on it (truck and location).

I know my sup gets yelled at for a lot of stuff and he does the best he can to not let it bother him. For only being 20 he does a good job and he has learned how to work with difficult employees and us older ladies (my line is full of ladies now).

The system does have issues as you say and it is only as good as the humans that put it in place.