Ups Intent to Terminate

Rob5442

Hey everyone! I am currently a pre loader at UPS and have recently got an intent to terminate. It happened within a 2 week span. I first got a warning on Monday last week for waking up late, and then one on Friday for the same reason. I then bought a new alarm and this Wednesday it didn’t go off and I was 15 minutes late. I’ve worked here for three years and I can’t lie they have given me plenty of chances in the past. We started to get real strict because other co workers of mine have been calling in and playing hooky. I am really liked by my steward and our center manager and am in the safety committee. I enjoy my job a lot and go to school full time and work another part time job, I also have a 1 and 2 year old which has made my life extremely stressful but still I am in good spirits. I was wondering if you guys believe there is any chance I could win my case if I filed a grievance? I have two mouths to feed in the future and only want honest feedback. Please don’t come here to tell me I shouldn’t be late. This is something that I’m aware of and i needed this wake up call. I’m very stressed out and can’t stop thinking about it for the sake of my future

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
Hey everyone! I am currently a pre loader at UPS and have recently got an intent to terminate. It happened within a 2 week span. I first got a warning on Monday last week for waking up late, and then one on Friday for the same reason. I then bought a new alarm and this Wednesday it didn’t go off and I was 15 minutes late. I’ve worked here for three years and I can’t lie they have given me plenty of chances in the past. We started to get real strict because other co workers of mine have been calling in and playing hooky. I am really liked by my steward and our center manager and am in the safety committee. I enjoy my job a lot and go to school full time and work another part time job, I also have a 1 and 2 year old which has made my life extremely stressful but still I am in good spirits. I was wondering if you guys believe there is any chance I could win my case if I filed a grievance? I have two mouths to feed in the future and only want honest feedback. Please don’t come here to tell me I shouldn’t be late. This is something that I’m aware of and i needed this wake up call. I’m very stressed out and can’t stop thinking about it for the sake of my future

I would have a chat with your center manager, tell him you acknowledge that you've been having problems, that you understand that it is important to show up on time, and that you are taking staps to make sure it doesn't happen again. If that doesn't work, and they terminate, grieve it and you will likely get your job back. Be sure to let your steward and BA know everything that is happening so they can be prepared to defend you as best they can.

I think company policy is that you get 3 occurances in a 9 month period before a warning letter. Not a warning letter the first tardy. You should also have suspensions after the 4th and 5th. I don't think they are following progressive discipline properly. That will work in your favor.

Rob5442

I would have a chat with your center manager, tell him you acknowledge that you've been having problems, that you understand that it is important to show up on time, and that you are taking staps to make sure it doesn't happen again. If that doesn't work, and they terminate, grieve it and you will likely get your job back. Be sure to let your steward and BA know everything that is happening so they can be prepared to defend you as best they can.

I think company policy is that you get 3 occurances in a 9 month period before a warning letter. Not a warning letter the first tardy. You should also have suspensions after the 4th and 5th. I don't think they are following progressive discipline properly. That will work in your favor.

542thruNthru

So other then the warning letter how else were you disciplined.

Different areas have different agreed to attendance policies but I don't know of any that go warning letter, termination.

Yes get with your BA and steward and file a grievance.

Rob5442

They made us sign a written out letter saying we were going to start out fresh after some of my co workers were having trouble getting to work. Today my steward told me that the union can only do so much when it comes to attendance. He said if it gets sent to panel ( which is likely) they will vote for me to stay or go. I’m really feeling sick to my stomach thinking that I might work here for however long that takes just to find out I’m fired..

542thruNthru

Ours is warning letter on the 7th in 9 months but that is only if you've been given a verbal first.

Rob5442

They made us sign a written out letter saying we were going to start out fresh after some of my co workers were having trouble getting to work. Today my steward told me that the union can only do so much when it comes to attendance. He said if it gets sent to panel ( which is likely) they will vote for me to stay or go. I’m really feeling sick to my stomach thinking that I might work here for however long that takes just to find out I’m fired..
Then have to file a grievance and wait for that to be processed. He told me that one time a co worker of his that was driving broke a two dollar piece on a truck and had to file grievance and barely got his job back

You aren't going to get fired now just straighten up your act !!

Rob5442

So other then the warning letter how else were you disciplined.

Different areas have different agreed to attendance policies but I don't know of any that go warning letter, termination.

Yes get with your BA and steward and file a grievance.
I got a warning letter a three day suspension (which I didn’t serve) and then now intent to terminate.

clean hairy

Any extra agreements such as this, is not recognized by the union.
And, if a stewart was not present at the time this was signed, that is another problem

Maplewood

If you dont file a 'timely' grievance for the suspension letter and the the Termination letter then you will be fired. Thats how it works out here in the West.

542thruNthru

They needed me working even though we had someone on lay-off. They told me if it gets sent to panel they will check how many times I’ve been late over the past year and terminate if they see I’ve been late a lot most likely

I wouldn't worry... again call your local speak with your BA. Stop showing up late. Buy 3 damn alarm clocks if you have to.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Probably shouldn’t have been late 3 times in 2 weeks if you really wanted the job that much.

you’ll likely get it back but better not miss or be late for a very long time.

Rob5442

Probably shouldn’t have been late 3 times in 2 weeks if you really wanted the job that much.

you’ll likely get it back but better not miss or be late for a very long time.
We had a guy call in a week straight after we signed this document for being sick after we signed this paper work but our supervisor was in leave and our assistant supervisor didn’t do anything. The guy is best friends with the union stewards daughter so I haven’t said anything

Rob5442

I never make excuses because I
If you dont file a 'timely' grievance for the suspension letter and the the Termination letter then you will be fired. Thats how it works out here in the West.
how soon should I file s grievance since I have to wait for panel to respond