Mr. Hoffa. Get Off Your Ass Right Now

Ricochet1a

Ok I'll bite. We fedex drivers are not special. However, We and ground are competition for UPS. As our wages and benefits fall the IBT looses bargaining position. It might be fun to laugh at us now, but as your drivers have to start making one concession after another it may not be so funny in the future.

I think you are confused as to who I am...

I am a former Courier of Express, who saw the downward slide FedEx Express was taking while I worked at an AGFS location in my first year of employment (then became a Courier), made a plan to get out, and then got out.

While I was a Courier, I ACTIVELY campaigned my fellow Couriers to sign rep cards and gain union representation. I fought the fight against Fred (as futile as it was), while implementing my plan to exit Express.

Reality sucks at times, the reality in Express sucks hard right now. That is why I'm spending my time (about as futile as before) in trying to get those left in Express to see the light and do something CONSTRUCTIVE to change their situation, and stop dreaming that someone is going to come to your rescue and make everything better for you. It isn't going to happen. You are going to have to make it happen for yourself. Whether that means leaving Express, or doing the very long and difficult task or organizing Express is up to you.

The IBT's bargaining position vs UPS is dependent SOLELY on the business model of UPS (just how profitable they are) - and how much of those profits they can get into the hands of their membership while having UPS management agree to the whole deal.

The threat to UPS's business model right now is FedEx GROUND, NOT Express. That is why I tried to illustrate why the IBT's concern is Ground and not Express - and since the IBT isn't taking any action to get Ground's business model to be declared in violation of labor law, they have no real concern over what is happening in Express right now.

Either you are going to commit fully to organizing knowing all the obstacles you face, or accept what Fred is dishing out to you while continuing to complain on this forum. Complaining doesn't do much to change a situation. Committing to action one way or another (organizing or leaving Express), does.

That is why I prefaced my posting again as to asking whether the noises coming out of the stations is that of bleating sheep or howling wolves.

With a week's time everyone will know one way or another.

MAKAVELI

I guess we just have to wait and see how UPS's negotiations go. If they make concessions then you better believe they will be looking at organizing Express. Ground might be the thorn in the Teamsters side. But Express would be key in future negotiations. Wether or not Express will be downsizing, it would be their way into the second largest delivery company.

MAKAVELI

Ok I'll bite. We fedex drivers are not special. However, We and ground are competition for UPS. As our wages and benefits fall the IBT looses bargaining position. It might be fun to laugh at us now, but as your drivers have to start making one concession after another it may not be so funny in the future.

I am a former Courier of Express, who saw the downward slide FedEx Express was taking while I worked at an AGFS location in my first year of employment (then became a Courier), made a plan to get out, and then got out.

While I was a Courier, I ACTIVELY campaigned my fellow Couriers to sign rep cards and gain union representation. I fought the fight against Fred (as futile as it was), while implementing my plan to exit Express.

Reality sucks at times, the reality in Express sucks hard right now. That is why I'm spending my time (about as futile as before) in trying to get those left in Express to see the light and do something CONSTRUCTIVE to change their situation, and stop dreaming that someone is going to come to your rescue and make everything better for you. It isn't going to happen. You are going to have to make it happen for yourself. Whether that means leaving Express, or doing the very long and difficult task or organizing Express is up to you.

The IBT's bargaining position vs UPS is dependent SOLELY on the business model of UPS (just how profitable they are) - and how much of those profits they can get into the hands of their membership while having UPS management agree to the whole deal.

The threat to UPS's business model right now is FedEx GROUND, NOT Express. That is why I tried to illustrate why the IBT's concern is Ground and not Express - and since the IBT isn't taking any action to get Ground's business model to be declared in violation of labor law, they have no real concern over what is happening in Express right now.

Either you are going to commit fully to organizing knowing all the obstacles you face, or accept what Fred is dishing out to you while continuing to complain on this forum. Complaining doesn't do much to change a situation. Committing to action one way or another (organizing or leaving Express), does.

That is why I prefaced my posting again as to asking whether the noises coming out of the stations is that of bleating sheep or howling wolves.

This is part of organizing not just bitching and complaining. As you are well aware we have to organize nationally. This is a great start for couriers to share thoughts and ideas on a national forum. Every movement has to start somewhere even if that start is a few on an internet forum.

Ricochet1a

This is part of organizing not just bitching and complaining. As you are well aware we have to organize nationally. This is a great start for couriers to share thoughts and ideas on a national forum. Every movement has to start somewhere even if that start is a few on an internet forum.

I wrote before, the internet and social networking are the best tools the wage employees of Express have to use to overcome the hurdle of the RLA in attempting to organize.

However...

If you go back in forum history - I mean way back, all you'll see is a lot of bitching and moaning. No real constructive commitment to actual organizing. I had to go through the 'education process' back in late 2009 and early 2010 to learn about peculiarities of the IBT, RLA and the Express Couriers. It was an experience.

I liken it to "Groundhog Day 2: Nightmare in Express". The same thing happens over and over and over and over here... and nothing really changes. The bitching and moaning remains the same, and no action is taken to get out of the endless loop.

Yes the complaining is a stress reliever for those experiencing the nightmare of FedEx, you kick some mud in Fred face, feel better about a bad day and go to bed.

Problem is you wake up the next morning to your alarm clock (who knows if "I've got you babe" is playing...) and do it all over again.

The kicker to Groundhog Day 2, is that each day you do the same day over again, you have less and less in your pocket. You aren't maintaining ground financially, you are slowly losing ground with each repeat of the day.

In the first movie, Bill Murray had to stop being an ass and become a real human being and express his love to get the endless repeat of February 2nd from occurring.

In Groundhog Day 2, there are two potential endings. Either the wage employee will decide to leave FedEx or will recognize the need to organize and stop the process of losing financial ground with each successive day you spend at Express.

Only then will the alarm clock sound and it will be 6 AM on February 3rd instead of another repeat of February 2nd.

Route 66

Slapped Upside-da-Head Member
I broached the topic with several co-workers yesterday. The overwhelming response I got was a defeated smile and shoulder shrug and words to the effect "yeah it sucks that's for sure, but there's this RLA thing we can't get around and hey, there's a lotta worse places to work out there" ..... my co-workers are frustrating as hell. They are in fact, the frogs in the kettle. If the employees here are any indication of what it's like everywhere else, it would be easier to drain the Pacific Ocean with a teaspoon than to organize.

Ricochet1a

I broached the topic with several co-workers yesterday. The overwhelming response I got was a defeated smile and shoulder shrug and words to the effect "yeah it sucks that's for sure, but there's this RLA thing we can't get around and hey, there's a lotta worse places to work out there" ..... my co-workers are frustrating as hell. They are in fact, the frogs in the kettle. If the employees here are any indication of what it's like everywhere else, it would be easier to drain the Pacific Ocean with a teaspoon than to organize.

You may very well be right, but I don't think it is as 'Herculean' as that.

I think Fred will eventually slip up and move just a little too quickly to implement his plan - and the Couriers, RTDs and Ramp Agents will wake up and want to start signing union cards without needing some wild guarantee from the IBT in exchange for their signing. Given the responses going on here in the past 48 hours - I don't think that time is now. The sheep aren't ready to transform into wolves and look for blood quite yet.

If I was still working for Express, I would've quit Wednesday with the news coming out - I couldn't have worked another day for Fred after getting dumped on like he did. But then again I was part-time and knew long ago that Express wasn't a career for me. Still, if I was still in, that news would've been the straw that broke the camel's back.

As far as 'worse places to work out there' - yes there are. There are also better places. This is the other obstacle the Express employees seem to have - their reluctance to get outside their 'comfort zone' and ditch what they know is a bad deal to get into something better. More often than not, one has to be willing to take a step backwards in order to be in a position to take two steps forwards - Express employees don't want to take that initial step backwards to place themselves in the position to begin moving forward with whatever career aspirations they may have. I found they always want that 'guarantee' before they'll take any personal risk.

I've always wondered if Express somehow manages to secretly evaluate potential employees for 'risk aversion tendencies' as part of the hiring process. Some companies do evaluate this through pre-employment questionnaires and interview questions, but I don't think Express secretly pulls it off. Must be the exposure to the work environment and the natural tendencies of those who apply for the type of work Express offers in the first place - that results in a heavily risk adverse employee pool.

Route 66

it seems Fred and Co have mastered the ability to wait just long enough between each take-away to allow the wound of the previous incursion to scab over, the shock to subside and their victims to adapt to their newfound state of existence before they drop the next shoe. In essence, slowly turning up the oven on the hapless froggies one notch at a time. Apparently just another one of the company's "most admired" traits.

hypo hanna

First off I never said the IBT needs to in you words "rescue me". What I want the union to do is show just a little support for some organizing efforts. Maybe give us some direction so we dont get fired on our first days efforts. Even return a phone call that sort of thing.
You said so yourself that the effort was futile when you tried it. You think it's any easier now?
You say the IBT is waiting until its profitable to organize FedEx. Maybe they are no better then mgmt. in thT regard. They seem to be just as risk averse as the sheep you accuse us of being.
In my entire time here I was never against a union. When I hired on we both told and it was demonstrated that the company would share its profits with its employees. That changed slowly and yes like the frog in the pot it became too late to get out. I went from being neutral towards organized labor to strongly pro union. Still I know nothing about organizing a union shop or how to do it without getting canned. What does the IBT expect us to do, watch DVDs of "Norma Rae" and listen to Woody Guthrie tunes? The IBT are the experts. Increased membership benefits them.

jmeti000

I did the same over the past couple days. Interestingly enough the ones who gave the song and dance were the more senior couriers. All of the drivers roughly 10 years with the company and under were ready and willing to sign. I have a feeling (at least from what im seeing) that the next gen. of courier isnt going to be as complacent as uncle fred would like no matter what he does with express. Either way, I took R1a's advise regarding the paper aspect so everything is in the works over in my neck of the woods.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member

I don't think Express couriers are "special" either, but our skill-set is much more comparable to UPS than Ground or anyone else. Yes, we're just truck drivers, but ones where more than average intelligence and reasoning are required to be good ones. Like UPS, we are expected to be extraordinarily productive and mistake-free in comparison with a truck driver, or the more lowly form...the Ground driver. A lot of people simply cannot do the Express courier job.

I also think the Teamsters need us, maybe not as much as we need them, but union membership has dropped to around 12%, which isn't a good sign for the IBT. As I have said before, Ground is the biggest threat to UPS because their business model won't be able to compete with the low-cost Ground scam model. On that, we completely agree. But Ground will never organize because the contractors will simply fire all of their drivers. There is nothing stopping this, and a snowball has a better chance in Hell of success.

My contact with the IBT has been at the national level because the local won't do anything. I walk-in or call, and I get the brush-off, which isn't the way it should be. Back in 1996, when I helped lead the local organization effort, they provided minimal support, and wouldn't even send reps out to the stations. They talked about legal support, but when Fred's special language was snuck into the FAA Reauthorization Act back then, the Teamsters dropped us completely.

I would also like the noises coming out of stations to be "howling wolves", but when the wolves howl, we need a positive response from the IBT. When the cards and calls start coming-in, they need to respond with some form of action. It would be very encouraging to have Mr. Hoffa simply address the issue, even if he doesn't make a commitment to Express, and we haven't even seen that. I've heard Hoffa interviewed several times, and he wasn't very strong on talking about the FAA Reuthorization Act even when it was still in play. Rhetoric is important, especially when it is coming from someone who is supposed to be a labor "leader". As you said, the IBT is also doing nothing to challenge the Ground business model. So, exactly what are they doing other than sitting on their hands? IMO, they are laying on the tracks watching the train headlight get closer in the distance.

If Ground continues to grow at the rate it has, UPS is looking at a two-tiered wage structure, a huge victory for Fred, and a major loss for the IBT. Sure, they'll still be union (for now), but paying dues is problematic when you're making so much less than the "A-Scale" workers. If Ground continues to eat away at UPS market share, the IBT itself becomes threatened long-term because you can't pay drivers $32 per hour with full medical when the trucks aren't full any more. Fred wins.

If we provide the effort and show results, I think the Teamsters need to respond. In the past, the IBT was there when companies started jacking people around, and they took an active role in pursuing members. This is how a union grows. Over time, the IBT have become sheep in the sense that they have stood-by as the "New Normal" of reduced wages and benefits championed by the GOP took hold. A lot of people have come to accept this, apparently including the Teamsters, except when it comes to their bread and butter...UPS.

Keep signing the cards and getting the word out, and maybe, just maybe, we'll get some IBT participation in all of this.

Bailey4

Although I am not the most senior of our employees, I have over 10 years and would gladly sign up for a union. In the mean time, I would recommend slowing yourselves down. I do not think that the shift premiums were removed for only cost cutting advantages. Nor do I believe that the focus on limiting stand alones during the P1 cycle are just to move the customer towards purchasing p! service. Nor do I believe "Roads" is just to make it easier for you or someone else to do your route. Nor do I believe that the focus to cut regulars that do not ship at least 3 times a week ...every week...off the PM pick up routes is just keep those routes moving. These items....I think.....are preparation for what will be our goodbye. I believe they are to pave the way for the service structure changes. The letter Fedex released concerning our delayed raises specifically stated that pick up/delivery routes had been combined where ever possible.

I think the items I listed above are to make even more route consolidation possible. I think a lot more routes will be combined, split and eliminated. I think those routes will have some really bad hours. The elimination of all the split shift pay was just to pave the way for these changes. Anybody on the normal day shift can begin to say goodbye to getting home during daylight. I think moving forward they will use "Roads" to help enable them to just drop pick ups in on the fly when a courier is in the area.... I think that is why they are actively looking for ways to cut out regular pick ups whenever possible and rearrange routes...to give them more flexibility to create these crappy routes. I think Pick up, part time and some full time drivers will become displaced at the onset. Moving farther forward they will keep using these systems to cut us while they continue to shift our volume over to ground where possible. So then .....full time routes will drop out and part timers back in.....presto low paid part time work force. No pesky full timers or part timers with higher pay and very few full timers. It looks like Fedex are just rolling it out slowly to eliminate as many bumps as possible and keep us on board until it is most advantageous to them to shove us off.

So I for one am slowing down....down. and more down. I think they are using this information in the planning of our new future consolidated crappy route choices and ultimate demise. Full timers and part timers slow down cause your helping lead yourselves to slaughter. I dont know about us being a threat to UPS. It seems to me that if FedEx ground were able to build more ground volume by taking UPS business that Fedex would be pursuing that without fail. Looks more to me like they are not being able to expand Ground any further and so they are cannibalizing FedEx Express side to make profit and feign new growth.

irudedog

Fyi

For your information Mr. FedEx I am a FedEx freight driver in southern California, who is organizing my terminal in San Bernardino. We are working with Joint Council 42. We are educating our employees. House calling and building in numbers. So my advice to all my express brothers and sisters is to educate yourselves on what a unions all about, knowledge is power.

Because my managers have told me and my fellow employees that FedEx would do anything they can ,legally to stop this organizing effort. And coming from first hand experience they will and they have.

The time to educate and organize is now my fellow employees.

Stand Up and be counted!
IMG_20130228_070849.jpg

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Re: Fyi

For your information Mr. FedEx I am a FedEx freight driver in southern California, who is organizing my terminal in San Bernardino. We are working with Joint Council 42. We are educating our employees. House calling and building in numbers. So my advice to all my express brothers and sisters is to educate yourselves on what a unions all about, knowledge is power.

Because my managers have told me and my fellow employees that FedEx would do anything they can ,legally to stop this organizing effort. And coming from first hand experience they will and they have.

The time to educate and organize is now my fellow employees.

Stand Up and be counted!

Believe me, we are trying. The big thing that hinders us here is the fact that Express is under the Railway Labor Act, not the NLRA like Freight. Good luck in your efforts against Smith.

Ricochet1a

First off I never said the IBT needs to in you words "rescue me". What I want the union to do is show just a little support for some organizing efforts.

Well, whether you realize it or not, by expecting an organization which isn't receiving any funds from you to "show just a little support", you are asking to be rescued.

I'll say it again, the IBT in is the BUSINESS of organizing labor. Like all businesses, they have to balance expense with revenue. If expenses exceed revenues over a prolonged period of time, they are out of business. All businesses want to grow - but they have to be mindful that any growth strategy which is front loaded with expenses with scant chance of receiving any revenue to match up with those expenses - is hazardous to say the least. Fred S saw to it to run up the expense of ANY business who organizes labor - that the expense would be prohibitive given the scant chance of being successful in the face of RLA procedures.

I think it is time for some of the UPSers here to chime in on their first hand experiences with the IBT - especially when it comes to the IBT cutting loose with some money.

Maybe give us some direction so we dont get fired on our first days efforts. Even return a phone call that sort of thing.

Here's some direction: your employer will use every means at their disposal to prevent you from organizing. A poster who works with Freight has just commented on that - BELIEVE HIM. Don't attempt to discuss union topics on company time or company property - you can be sanctioned by your employer for doing so, and they are within their rights to do so. Despite what some may think, you don't have 'free speech' when you are on company time or property, they can restrict your actions to that which is solely related to the work for which you are being compensated.

However....

What you do when you are OFF the clock and OFF company property IS protected speech. FedEx can't touch you for what you do during this time. Yes, you are going to have to use some of your 'personal time' to engage in organizing. Act accordingly.

You said so yourself that the effort was futile when you tried it. You think it's any easier now?

Do you think I have EVER stated that organizing would be easy??? The whole thrust of my posts are to illustrate both the NEED for Express employees to ORGANIZE along with the EXTREME DIFFICULTY in actually in pulling it off. I've always made my first recommendation for an individual Express employee to make a plan to get out of Express, work the plan then execute the plan and get the hell out - it is the best option you have as an individual.

However, should you be unwilling or unable to get out of Express AND are tired of being bentover by Fred and company, then your only logical course of action is to roll up your proverbial shirt sleeves and start the hard work or organizing - and not expect any real 'help' from the IBT until you place enough signed rep cards in their hands to guarantee them a victory (yes.... they want a guarantee from the Couriers of Express, that if they petition the NLRB for an election, they won't get burned again by the FedEx anti-union hit squad).

It isn't 'fair', nothing is fair in the world when it comes to dealing with power, influence and money. When one has NOT power, influence or money, the 'game' is stacked against them. The way individuals with no power or money get 'some', is to band together and act in unison to get some influence. With that influence, power and eventually money is gained. Again, UPSers can chime in on this. How much would they be compensated if they weren't organized compared to what they are being compensated with by being organized?

You say the IBT is waiting until its profitable to organize FedEx. Maybe they are no better then mgmt. in thT regard. They seem to be just as risk averse as the sheep you accuse us of being.

Maybe they realize that until the Couriers/RTDs and Ramp Agents get the ball in motion, any funds that they direct towards Express would just be sent down a hole???

Yes, they are risk adverse to losing money with no real expectation of ever receiving any revenue in return for their effort. Its call a "cost-benefit analysis", and the potential benefit (weighed against the REAL probability of ever seeing any revenue from the venture's success) is far outweighed by the cost that could and would be involved.

I think many have the misconception that the IBT is a band of "do gooders", valiantly riding out to save the oppressed and downtrodden from the clutches of corporate America (well, the IBT likes to use that narrative). The reality is they are a business, with an agenda of their own, that needs to pay their operating expenses and not get in over their head in fights which they believe they don't have a chance in hell of winning. Discretion is the better part of valor....

Until and unless the wage employees of Express take positive action to CHANGE that perception that they are a lost cause, they shouldn't expect someone to ride out to the rescue.

In my entire time here I was never against a union. When I hired on we both told and it was demonstrated that the company would share its profits with its employees. That changed slowly and yes like the frog in the pot it became too late to get out. I went from being neutral towards organized labor to strongly pro union.

Here is where we share some common ground. Without getting into specifics in regards to my personal background, when I started FedEx, I believed that unions were "an anachronism of the late 19th and early 20th century". They had a role to play back then, but corporations had 'evolved' through better human resource utilization combined with a healthy amount of federal regulation and law.

Foolish me...

First I had to learn (after I accepted employment with Express) that all the research I had done in regards to "Federal Express" prior to applying (I hired in after the conversion to FedEx Express) - was merely that - research into a company which no longer really existed. As everyone with more than 15 years in Express knew (or someone who has done a lot of talking and researching with those with 15+ years in as I did), Federal Express no longer existed and was being carefully and deliberately transformed into a different company (especially from the employees' perspective).

Still I know nothing about organizing a union shop or how to do it without getting canned. What does the IBT expect us to do, watch DVDs of "Norma Rae" and listen to Woody Guthrie tunes? The IBT are the experts. Increased membership benefits them.

At this point, all you can do is get those union rep cards signed and get them sent in. It is all you can do at this point.

Since you obviously have watched "Norma Rae" and know who Woody Guthrie is... for those who don't Woody Guthrie - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

you know the battle that you are faced with. I still recommend getting the hell out of Express - it is the smart move.

But if you can't or won't get out, renting Norma Rae and listening to some Woody Guthrie would be a start...

MAKAVELI

First off I never said the IBT needs to in you words "rescue me". What I want the union to do is show just a little support for some organizing efforts.

Well, whether you realize it or not, by expecting an organization which isn't receiving any funds from you to "show just a little support", you are asking to be rescued.

I'll say it again, the IBT in is the BUSINESS of organizing labor. Like all businesses, they have to balance expense with revenue. If expenses exceed revenues over a prolonged period of time, they are out of business. All businesses want to grow - but they have to be mindful that any growth strategy which is front loaded with expenses with scant chance of receiving any revenue to match up with those expenses - is hazardous to say the least. Fred S saw to it to run up the expense of ANY business who organizes labor - that the expense would be prohibitive given the scant chance of being successful in the face of RLA procedures.

I think it is time for some of the UPSers here to chime in on their first hand experiences with the IBT - especially when it comes to the IBT cutting loose with some money.

Maybe give us some direction so we dont get fired on our first days efforts. Even return a phone call that sort of thing.

Here's some direction: your employer will use every means at their disposal to prevent you from organizing. A poster who works with Freight has just commented on that - BELIEVE HIM. Don't attempt to discuss union topics on company time or company property - you can be sanctioned by your employer for doing so, and they are within their rights to do so. Despite what some may think, you don't have 'free speech' when you are on company time or property, they can restrict your actions to that which is solely related to the work for which you are being compensated.

However....

What you do when you are OFF the clock and OFF company property IS protected speech. FedEx can't touch you for what you do during this time. Yes, you are going to have to use some of your 'personal time' to engage in organizing. Act accordingly.

Do you think I have EVER stated that organizing would be easy??? The whole thrust of my posts are to illustrate both the NEED for Express employees to ORGANIZE along with the EXTREME DIFFICULTY in actually in pulling it off. I've always made my first recommendation for an individual Express employee to make a plan to get out of Express, work the plan then execute the plan and get the hell out - it is the best option you have as an individual.

However, should you be unwilling or unable to get out of Express AND are tired of being bentover by Fred and company, then your only logical course of action is to roll up your proverbial shirt sleeves and start the hard work or organizing - and not expect any real 'help' from the IBT until you place enough signed rep cards in their hands to guarantee them a victory (yes.... they want a guarantee from the Couriers of Express, that if they petition the NLRB for an election, they won't get burned again by the FedEx anti-union hit squad).

It isn't 'fair', nothing is fair in the world when it comes to dealing with power, influence and money. When one has NOT power, influence or money, the 'game' is stacked against them. The way individuals with no power or money get 'some', is to band together and act in unison to get some influence. With that influence, power and eventually money is gained. Again, UPSers can chime in on this. How much would they be compensated if they weren't organized compared to what they are being compensated with by being organized?

Maybe they realize that until the Couriers/RTDs and Ramp Agents get the ball in motion, any funds that they direct towards Express would just be sent down a hole???

Yes, they are risk adverse to losing money with no real expectation of ever receiving any revenue in return for their effort. Its call a "cost-benefit analysis", and the potential benefit (weighed against the REAL probability of ever seeing any revenue from the venture's success) is far outweighed by the cost that could and would be involved.

I think many have the misconception that the IBT is a band of "do gooders", valiantly riding out to save the oppressed and downtrodden from the clutches of corporate America (well, the IBT likes to use that narrative). The reality is they are a business, with an agenda of their own, that needs to pay their operating expenses and not get in over their head in fights which they believe they don't have a chance in hell of winning. Discretion is the better part of valor....

Until and unless the wage employees of Express take positive action to CHANGE that perception that they are a lost cause, they shouldn't expect someone to ride out to the rescue.

In my entire time here I was never against a union. When I hired on we both told and it was demonstrated that the company would share its profits with its employees. That changed slowly and yes like the frog in the pot it became too late to get out. I went from being neutral towards organized labor to strongly pro union.

Here is where we share some common ground. Without getting into specifics in regards to my personal background, when I started FedEx, I believed that unions were "an anachronism of the late 19th and early 20th century". They had a role to play back then, but corporations had 'evolved' through better human resource utilization combined with a healthy amount of federal regulation and law.

Foolish me...

First I had to learn (after I accepted employment with Express) that all the research I had done in regards to "Federal Express" prior to applying (I hired in after the conversion to FedEx Express) - was merely that - research into a company which no longer really existed. As everyone with more than 15 years in Express knew (or someone who has done a lot of talking and researching with those with 15+ years in as I did), Federal Express no longer existed and was being carefully and deliberately transformed into a different company (especially from the employees' perspective).

Still I know nothing about organizing a union shop or how to do it without getting canned. What does the IBT expect us to do, watch DVDs of "Norma Rae" and listen to Woody Guthrie tunes? The IBT are the experts. Increased membership benefits them.

At this point, all you can do is get those union rep cards signed and get them sent in. It is all you can do at this point.

Since you obviously have watched "Norma Rae" and know who Woody Guthrie is... for those who don't Woody Guthrie - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

you know the battle that you are faced with. I still recommend getting the hell out of Express - it is the smart move.

But if you can't or won't get out, renting Norma Rae and listening to some Woody Guthrie would be a start...

I appreciate the honest insight ans much of what you say is true as I have been a part of an organizing effort long ago at a previous employer albeit it was nothing of this size. I can tell you it is possible but the biggest obstacle isn't Fred , it's ourselves.

Route 66

I can tell you it is possible but the biggest obstacle isn't Fred , it's ourselves.
based upon some of my conversations I've had in the past 24 hrs, I'd have to say I'm afraid you've nailed it right square on the head with that statement. So many still seemingly willing to continue being beaten down by the master, it really is quite disenchanting. I just ask them "how much more are you willing....NO, how much more can you afford to allow them to take?"

bbsam

Staff member
I appreciate the honest insight ans much of what you say is true as I have been a part of an organizing effort long ago at a previous employer albeit it was nothing of this size. I can tell you it is possible but the biggest obstacle isn't Fred , it's ourselves.

odd. You didn't appreciate it when I said it.

MAKAVELI

odd. You didn't appreciate it when I said it.

Why would I ? Because your comments are nothing but arrogant, condescending , and ignorant. You also don't care one bit about us and our concerns.