Mr. Hoffa. Get Off Your Ass Right Now

bbsam

Staff member
Did I mention ignorant?

you really are limited in hearing the truth. Why is that? Somebody from Ground can't possibly understand what's going on? Or do you hate that as you are staring career abyss in the face I am making more and more money everyday? Somebody's ignorant, but it's not me.

MAKAVELI

Did I mention ignorant?

you really are limited in hearing the truth. Why is that? Somebody from Ground can't possibly understand what's going on? Or do you hate that as you are staring career abyss in the face I am making more and more money everyday? Somebody's ignorant, but it's not me.

Your comments reek of desperation. Its pretty obvious your intention is to discourage anyone from organizing and it's getting pretty pathetic. If I lost my job tomorrow I'd be it wouldn't be the end of the world. You on the other hand are trying desperately to hold on to your cash cow.

bbsam

Staff member
That doesn't even make any sense. My honest opinion is that organizing will be an utter failure because there won't be nearly enough people who have the courage or who simply have nothing left to lose. As for my own situation, it certainly does not hinge on what happens at Express. In short, there is nothing for me to be desperate about. My business doesn't have to increase as fast as it has been. But to reiterate what R1a and I have been saying, stop whining and get to organizing. No more excuses.

MAKAVELI

That doesn't even make any sense. My honest opinion is that organizing will be an utter failure because there won't be nearly enough people who have the courage or who simply have nothing left to lose. As for my own situation, it certainly does not hinge on what happens at Express. In short, there is nothing for me to be desperate about. My business doesn't have to increase as fast as it has been. But to reiterate what R1a and I have been saying, stop whining and get to organizing. No more excuses.

Here's a clue nobody cares about your honest opinion. Like I said you spend so much time on here to desperately trying to discourage anyone for standing up for their rights. It doesn't matter that you think it would be an utter failure.

bbsam

Staff member
Maybe you could explain how Express organizing would affect my "cash cow". I certainly don't see how that would happen.

bbsam

Staff member
And what have I said to discourage organizing that others have not said and is generally agreed upon?

bbsam

Staff member
I was thinking more along the lines of you're a know-it-all contrarian with the maturity of a 13 year old girl.

Ricochet1a

based upon some of my conversations I've had in the past 24 hrs, I'd have to say I'm afraid you've nailed it right square on the head with that statement. So many still seemingly willing to continue being beaten down by the master, it really is quite disenchanting. I just ask them "how much more are you willing....NO, how much more can you afford to allow them to take?"

Finallly!!!! People are starting to talk seriously to their coworkers and seeing what an uphill battle it is for themselves, rather than just relying on what they read here.

When I was doing it in 2010, I likened it (getting cards signed) to trying to herd cats - each Courier wanted to do their own thing and were afraid signing a union card would place them on some form of 'legal leash' and they'd end up going nuts.

Everyone... talk to your coworkers, find out how they feel about what is going on while brining up the topic of 'union' VERY CLEARLY as a starting point in the conversation. You will quickly find the following to be true:

Couriers with over 20 years in - want nothing to do with a union whatsoever and will deem you to be an agitator for even bringing up the topic. They got theirs, too damn bad you are not going to get yours (that is what they think - a few may even say it right out to you).

Couriers with less than 2 years in - don't know what the hell you are talking about, they are just thankful to have some job and feel lucky to work for Fred.

Couriers with 10-15 years in - frustrated as hell with the things are in Express, are fed up with the lack of any real pay progression but when they are asked to sign a union card, want guarantees in writing in exchange for signing a union card.

Couriers with 15-19 years in - frustrated but realize they are trapped in Express. They don't want to cause too much of a 'ruckus' for fear they'll have to find another job if they piss off the wrong manager. They'd really like union representation, but aren't willing to risk their necks to get it.

Couriers with 2-10 years in - they'll sign with the right approach...

Again... call up the IBT with the number I gave. You need to do this FOR YOURSELF to find out first hand just where they stand on attempts by employees in Express to start organizing. I'd really like to hear if their approach has changed in the past 4 years too.

Remember, you are declaring war on a multi-billion dollar corporation when you start down this path. This is why you have to USE YOUR HEADS and not go on some emotionally driven outburst, in order to achieve your end goal.

SmithBarney

Most have been brainwashed... FedEx convinced them that unions take sooo much money from you..
using UPS as an example the union takes 2.5x your hourly rate per month.
To simplify it ~$25/hr x 2.5 ($62.50/mo) or 15.63/week
FedEx takes nearly $70-100 a WEEK! for health care(depending on elections)

Most just don't get it.

Route 66

Slapped Upside-da-Head Member
"herding cats" - I can think of no greater an analogy than that. I swear most of our employees hail from the community of Stepford.

RTURNSONLY

When talking to co-workers about why we should organize and join the union NOW, I feel it's also important to mention the following facts, which are mentioned in the IBT website International Brotherhood of Teamsters | International Brotherhood of Teamsters (IBT) facts that come directly from the U.S. Department of Labor. I think these numbers speak for themselves:
Wages of union members are, on average, 27 percent higher than those of workers without union representation.

• Women in unions earn an extra $170 a week – $9,000 more a year.
  • African Americans in unions earn an extra $150 a week – $8,000 more a year.
  • Latinos in unions earn an extra $225 a week – $11,650 more a year.
88 percent of union workers have job-related health coverage while only 69 percent of non-union workers do.
More than two out of three union jobs offer a dental plan; only 44 percent of non-union workers receive dental coverage.
More than half all union jobs offer vision coverage; only about one-quarter of non-union jobs provide vision care.
85 percent of union jobs offer prescription drug coverage; only 66 percent of non-union jobs provide prescription drug coverage.
Union workers pay an average of 8 percent of the total monthly premium (employer pays 92 percent) for single coverage; non-union workers pay 20 percent. Union households pay an average of 12 percent of the monthly premium for family coverage while non-union families pay 32 percent.
72 percent of union workers have a guaranteed defined-benefit pension compared to 15 percent of non-union workers.

Also, the IBT website has a "ORGANIZE" tab that I urge everyone use, in addition to calling-in and following Ricochets' excellent advice as to how to pull it off.