Must Pick up Ground Packages

Mr. 7

The monkey on the left.
You don't need to teach me anything.
I've been here long enough and gave up the purple kool aid a long time ago.

BTW,
I'd love to see a full size pic. of your new avatar.

Code 82 Approved

Titanium Plus+ Level Member with benefits!
hmm, i wondered what happened to that field-test where express & ground shared the same location for their dropboxes...

http://www.browncafe.com/forum/f50/ground-express-dropbox-failure-352072/#post1187200

Firstly, I apologize for my absence for much of the last 8 weeks.

I will attempt to describe my experience of sharing the dropboxes with the Express division for just over a year(9/10/2012 to 10/02/2013) and hopefully shed some light on what happens to Ground packages brought back to an Express terminal or World Service Center location, as I have firsthand experience.

MIlwaukee put into place shared dropboxes as an experiment after Labor Day last year. Our metro area consists of five different counties, and part of a sixth and seventh just out of our Ground terminal. I will only speak for what exactly happened in areas I personally covered but I imagine the results are similar.

The initial response to this idea was quite skeptical, as the majority of Ground packages won't fit into a slot, much less the box if you opened it at the bottom and inserted the package that way. Coupled with an average of an extra 15 drop box stops per driver (willing to work that late) created more headaches and logistical problems than anyone in Memphis or Moon Township could even comprehend.

The majority of the pickup open window times were between 16:30 and 17:00 with the exception of dropboxes at FedEx Office and outdoor dropboxes in locations such as business parks at 18:00.

My ISP covered roughly 75 dropboxes which he split among about four of us drivers for a year. I covered just about every dropbox at one time or another the entire time this lovely experiment was going on and if my grand total of packages picked up exceeded 100 for the entire year, I would be shocked.

I will say that agreeing to this pointless and potentially family wrecking duty did have its merits on payday, because I grossed an extra $800 per month. I was glad to see the experiment go away, but it was a bit of a kick in the crotch the first month the pay wasn't there anymore.

Now my ISP also has the WSC FedEx Express terminal on his agenda. Maybe nationwide it is different, but where we are the WSC accepts Ground packages just like they would at FedEx Office. And the volume is astounding. We send a minimum of two trucks there each day, and if it is peak we send at least three. And every Ground package that Express happens to pick up around this area just goes on top of the pile waiting for us every single day. I once spoke of the ability to walk into your sacred den unchecked, of course I can...I'm taking away 300 more ground packages I don't have time to take or room to fit.

Again I apologize for my recent absence, there is a lot going on I'd like to address soon.

whenIgetthere

Have you people not seen the sticky inside the dropboxes? It says 'Process ALL packages while at the dropbox'. I won't take packages from a customer, but I do scan ALL packages in my dropbox.

While on a checkride this week, got to dropbox, scanned barcode and took packages back to my truck to PUP, about 10 feet away. Manager says I must PUP them at the dropbox, not in the truck. So I got out and start to PUP them at the box, in a downpour. All the packages are now soaked trough and through, I ask the idiot is the correct way? WAD! Love the look on her face, PRICELESS!

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

While on a checkride this week, got to dropbox, scanned barcode and took packages back to my truck to PUP, about 10 feet away. Manager says I must PUP them at the dropbox, not in the truck. So I got out and start to PUP them at the box, in a downpour. All the packages are now soaked trough and through, I ask the idiot is the correct way? WAD! Love the look on her face, PRICELESS!

What difference does it make whether you scan the packages while standing at the box or in the pkg car 10' away? As long as you scan the barcode and complete the stop after the drop box commit time at that location. I have 5 drop boxes and always scan the barcode, collect the packages and scan them in the pkg car. GPS shows me at the drop box location.

whenIgetthere

What difference does it make whether you scan the packages while standing at the box or in the pkg car 10' away? As long as you scan the barcode and complete the stop after the drop box commit time at that location. I have 5 drop boxes and always scan the barcode, collect the packages and scan them in the pkg car. GPS shows me at the drop box location.

Her interpretation of the warning inside the dropbox to PUP all packages while at the dropbox itself, apparently. I worked as directed, and probably destroyed some valuable paperwork. This just goes to show how far FedEx has gone to the bottom of the barrel in hiring management! I did make sure I put a comment scan on the packages explaining why they were destroyed, covering my own :censored2:!

bbsam

Staff member
I know you feel a sense of accomplishment in showing the stupid management personnel her stupidity, but just remember that feeling when the next batch of takeaways has "higher than historic claims rate" as a reason/excuse.

whenIgetthere

You intentionally destroyed packages to prove a point then put a comment explaining why there were destroyed?!

I'm sorry, you weren't covering your ass----you were showing what an ass you truly are.

Where did I say I intentionally destroyed the packages? The manager was the one who said PUP them on top of the dropbox, and I did was I was told to do by my manager. Place the effing blame on her, not me. I explained it was raining, she wanted to prove she was the boss. If I did it my way, guess what, there'd be no damaged packages.

CJinx

You know, the Nuremberg defense didn't work for one particular group of military officers in the 1940s either. There are times when people of good conscience cannot blindly follow orders. Those directives which, to the thought process of any reasonable human being, would result in the destruction of a customer's property would be a fine example of one of those instances.

Your manager was an idiot to request that you scan packages in a downpour, and so are you for doing so.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Where did I say I intentionally destroyed the packages? The manager was the one who said PUP them on top of the dropbox, and I did was I was told to do by my manager. Place the effing blame on her, not me. I explained it was raining, she wanted to prove she was the boss. If I did it my way, guess what, there'd be no damaged packages.

What was the worse thing that would have happened had you scanned the packages in the truck? An OLCC? Any manager worth his/her salt would have seen that you did the right thing and that her directive, while it did follow the letter of the law, was clearly not in the best interest of the customer. The OLCC would have been thrown out.

MAKAVELI

What was the worse thing that would have happened had you scanned the packages in the truck? An OLCC? Any manager worth his/her salt would have seen that you did the right thing and that her directive, while it did follow the letter of the law, was clearly not in the best interest of the customer. The OLCC would have been thrown out.
While your argument is logical, we are not UPS with no union representation and no grievance procedures. If they want to give us an olcc for not wearing black socks with pants, they can. FedEx does not care about " doing the right thing". They only care about $ and power.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
I know you feel a sense of accomplishment in showing the stupid management personnel her stupidity, but just remember that feeling when the next batch of takeaways has "higher than historic claims rate" as a reason/excuse.
Don't forget that can apply to Ground too.

CJinx

Chain of command, climb it if you disagree with your manager. Stick up for yourself. You don't need union protection to advocate on your own behalf.

MAKAVELI

Chain of command, climb it if you disagree with your manager. Stick up for yourself. You don't need union protection to advocate on your own behalf.

Just a very ignorant and arrogant statement. But I wouldn't expect any less from a kool aid addict.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member

Your statement is completely ignorant of the facts. Go on believing it if you want.

Nick9075

Sure, let me know how that goes... Let me give you a hint, you can likely be fired in a NY minute or so fast you won't know what hit you if your manager wants too. Of course if this economy where the job market is recovering it is hard to find people who will work for the wages that FedEx pays (either ground or express) but still people who say stick up for yourself are completely ignorant of the fact that most are not irreplaceable