My Daughter applied for a UPS job....

quad decade guy

If she is a die hard liberal don't waste time worrying about her - she is beyond help.
I mostly agree.

Do note she is giving up trying to save the world......and just going for money and benefits.....even at the low, low bar of UPS....

I have seen flashes of reality smacking her in the forehead.....and saying "Dad, you were right..."

Covid has actually made her see the world in a different perspective.

BadIdeaGuy

Staff member
Tell us more....since you don't know me.
I feel like every time I read one of your posts, I'm reading an unproofread autobiography.
You stir the pot, and then complain when people make assumptions based off of things you've said.

Lol. You don't get to have it both ways. When you throw your personal world out there on random discussion forums, you invite others to share their comments and opinions on your personal world.

quad decade guy

I feel like every time I read one of your posts, I'm reading an unproofread autobiography.
You stir the pot, and then complain when people make assumptions based off of things you've said.

Lol. You don't get to have it both ways. When you throw your personal world out there on random discussion forums, you invite others to share their comments and opinions on your personal world.
Fair enough.

For example: "I bet she isn't white....." Huh? Where did that come from?

And say, why don't you just skip right over my posts? See my name....keep on going.

Might be less befuddled....

BC...Brown Cafe......a place to talk about UPS....your experiences....relatable anecdotes.....conversation....

That's why I'm here......

Why are you? To be the arbiter of content, structure and what is right, proper and to dole out belittling punishment if not up to your ideas, conjecture and opinion?

I'll have it anyway I see fit. I give what I get. I'll defend myself. Some folks attack me no matter what(you for example)....every time(your words)....I could give you the secret to immortality......you would proofread it.....OMG.

quad decade guy

You went from two paragraphs about teaching school straight into that. It's easy to see where the mixup came from.
Fair enough.

In all fairness.....I tried with some background and context....apparently that was overlooked or not understood....or clear. That's fair.....

Or how I would never recommend working at UPS.....but hey. Or her becoming my supervisor....I tried to seed little nuggets of context in there....I'll try better next time.

Easy is a relative thing...in all fairness.

Shift Inhibit

He who laughs last didn't get it.
Fair enough.

In all fairness.....I tried with some background and context....apparently that was overlooked or not understood....or clear. That's fair.....

Or how I would never recommend working at UPS.....but hey. Or her becoming my supervisor....I tried to seed little nuggets of context in there....I'll try better next time.

Easy is a relative thing...in all fairness.
Tell her if she wants to make some real money & pay $40-85 per month for full healthcare, work at ups … if she wants to scrape by but “save the world” continue on her current path.

quad decade guy

That’s what I thought too, he made it sound like she’s giving up everything & applying as a loader/unloader
Maybe you guys can get remedial reading.....get together and between the both of you.....figure out context and content.

Where did I say loader/unloader? Does Diversity Recruiter sound like loader/unloader? Could you explain your reasoning?

See, this is why I'm begging her not to work at UPS....guys like you.....

Say, are you a product of the inner-city school system?

Lineandinitial

Legio patria nostra
She is liberal but straight.....

Serious question.....can Captains refuse any FO? Crew member?
Absolutely. Once the Pairings are approved, the ACP's get involved, if necessary, and try to work out whatever the issue is.
These guys/gals have been through everybody and only the unlucky ones get stuck with them.

quad decade guy

Absolutely. Once the Pairings are approved, the ACP's get involved, if necessary, and try to work out whatever the issue is.
These guys/gals have been through everybody and only the unlucky ones get stuck with them.
What makes them "unlucky"? Seniority?

AT least on TV...they make it seem like you would have to fly with anyone- Example: Sully or Flight. Like "You'll get your RIO when you get to the carrier"-TopGun.

Lineandinitial

Legio patria nostra
What makes them "unlucky"? Seniority?

AT least on TV...they make it seem like you would have to fly with anyone- Example: Sully or Flight. Like "You'll get your RIO when you get to the carrier"-TopGun.
Yes seniority.
Pax carriers have different Bid systems. UPS has them for typically 30 days.

Its_a_me

Well, I have 3 to go to be of normal retirement age. So, it is possible. When you start at 18......you'll be here awhile....

Free insurance and another $350k for 3 years......sounds good to me. And 18 weeks vacation.....

Tesla's cost a lot of money....lololol.

It's not free insurance anymore (at least in the Central).....prior to 2018 it was, but it's now $200 a year (or $100 for individuals) in the form of deductibles...that was a Hoffa giveback that started in 2018 and continued in the "best contract ever."

While the equivalent of $16.67 a month ($200/12 months) isn't anywhere near what other companies charge employees: it still is an added healthcare expense that once given away in contract negotiations isn't going back to the way it was. Even Teamcare is a give back compared to the old, old plan.

What's worse is the one punch per week to keep healthcare that was kept secret and lied about by union leadership. It screwed me [when UPS canceled my vacation week due to "business conditions" (supervisors couldn't do basic addition as to how many employees and how many vacation weeks were allowed and I was low on seniority totem-pole). They still paid me for it because it was "in the system" and let me reschedule it later, but coded it as unpaid time off despite me bringing the insurance issue to their attention weeks in advance--sure enough had to see a provider that week and came back rejected. Appealed and was taken care of, but what a massive waste of time it took to get corrected.].

Yeet

Not gonna let ‘em catch the Midnight Rider
My wife is an elementary school teacher of 16 years. I love to remind her that I’m making more than double her salary and I didn’t even graduate college. 😂

Then she says she wants to quit because we can live off my income and magically I stop bringing it up…

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
My 30 yo daughter is an elementary school teacher. 1st grade currently....has taught through 4th. B Science and Master of Education. She's bright and capable. Loves teaching....can't deal with Admin and trying to teach 4 graders to read that are on a kindergarten grade level....

At an inner-city, near all minority student body. ESL and all the rest. Where even through Covid, kids are expected to be on grade level and pass the Standards Test. Yes, very Liberal and was going to save the World....

That to say this: She applied for a Diversity Recruiting job at local colleges and high schools. It pays $88k....she makes $50 after 6 years.

Our District is hiring 3. I tried to tell her being white female was probably going to torpedo her chances....we thought about her being trans Chinese PDQXZY. I secretly(openly) hope she doesn't get the job. I don't know if this is considered mgt.

She has watched me work at UPS for 30 years at least(41 total). And knows(sort of) how it is...not really...has heard me complain enough.

But she pays $700 per month for crappy insurance and still complains bitterly about losing UPS insurance at 26.

I wouldn't recommend working at UPS under any circumstance....I wouldn't help her work there or put in a word. She isn't petulant, abusive or spiteful nor mean spirited....those are just some of the traits of mgt. I've seen. I've begged her to try Fed-Ex or even AMAZON.

Lastly, it is possible she could eventually be my supervisor.....
Back in my original building in NY I worked in small sort with a high school science teacher who had been a PTer for over 20 years for the health insurance. He’d work the sunrise sort...change clothes and off to school.