My in-cab camera has gone silent

Thebrownblob

I gave the company the benefit of the doubt that the cameras would be used only for event triggers. It is not the case anymore. Not going into details on here but this would not happen if they weren't recording.
I believe the Forward facing camera is always recording. We had a driver who was parked and got hit by a passing car they were able to pull The Forward video up. The car clipped the package cars bumper and pulled it off and it flung it down the road.

no_map_needed

Knowledge is key, Experience is power.
I believe the Forward facing camera is always recording. We had a driver who was parked and got hit by a passing car they were able to pull The Forward video up. The car clipped the package cars bumper and pulled it off and it flung it down the road.
Yea that is totally fine. The company has that right. Hell, they can put a camera on top of the car or whatever they want and record all 4 sides. The issue I have is from the manner inside the cab both from the diad and the monitor.

no_map_needed

Knowledge is key, Experience is power.
It doesn't affect me and I drive like it's not there so there's not much to explain here. I don't want to create any more commotion other than it's very annoying and a direct invasion of privacy. Management wouldn't like it either if they had webcams mounted on top of their computer screens in the office to make sure they're eyes are looking at the screen all day with their fingers on the keyboard while making sure to pickup the phones in a timely manner.

Thebrownblob

It doesn't affect me and I drive like it's not there so there's not much to explain here. I don't want to create any more commotion other than it's very annoying and a direct invasion of privacy. Management wouldn't like it either if they had webcams mounted on top of their computer screens in the office to make sure they're eyes are looking at the screen all day with their fingers on the keyboard while making sure to pickup the phones in a timely manner.
Gotcha. Yes I agree it’s annoying. Stupid thing barks at me that I don’t have my seatbelt on? It’s a piece of crap. Similar to the new diad, feels like the company wants to tie one hand behind our back while we do the job. My opinion is the company had no right to put the inward facing sensor in the cab.

Cowboy Mac

The problem with the forward facing camera is that is captures the reflection on the windshield sometimes, and they are able to see the cab. The company has already used this here to say that a driver was reaching for something when he got into an accident.

Thebrownblob

The problem with the forward facing camera is that is captures the reflection on the windshield sometimes, and they are able to see the cab. The company has already used this here to say that a driver was reaching for something when he got into an accident.
Yes indeed we’ve had a case like that before in the freight division.

What'dyabringmetoday???

As soon as our union leadership finds out about this they will be ticked!

5jmf6s-jpg.348219
Uh oh- I hope Big Union Man doesn't see this. You will be expected to run against O'Brien...

qdg2

Ah....far more thefts go on inside the hub/buildings than out on the road. SMH.
Thefts? Out on the road? Huh?

Clearly they are for traffic incidences.....accidents. SMH.

We have a whole video room with dozens of big screens to show every detail in the hub and yard.

Why not vehicles? Point is....again this whole argument seems settled and the cameras are in place...right now.

Example: talked with a fellow feeder driver that was given a safety award for heavy braking to avoid an accident. I was disciplined(coached) for a heavy braking event(to avoid an accident too). What's the difference? Both of the events were to avoid accidents that were being caused by the other party-one where a truck was running out of a lane ending.....another(mine) for a truck not yielding on a highway entry/merge......they claimed I should have been getting the big picture....what about our hero driver? Didn't he(hero) see all that happening?

Thebrownblob

We have a whole video room with dozens of big screens to show every detail in the hub and yard.

Why not vehicles? Point is....again this whole argument seems settled and the cameras are in place...right now.

Example: talked with a fellow feeder driver that was given a safety award for heavy braking to avoid an accident. I was disciplined(coached) for a heavy braking event(to avoid an accident too). What's the difference? Both of the events were to avoid accidents that were being caused by the other party-one where a truck was running out of a lane ending.....another(mine) for a truck not yielding on a highway entry/merge......they claimed I should have been getting the big picture....what about our hero driver? Didn't he(hero) see all that happening?
I’m not sure I understand you, Were you coached (annoying) or were you disciplined Based only on electronic surveillance? (A contract violation) The difference does matter. Or are you upset you didn’t get an award?

If it’s the award, let me be the first to thank you for your safe driving.

I have been lurking

Tired hubrat
I’m not sure I understand you, Were you coached (annoying) or were you disciplined Based only on electronic surveillance? (A contract violation) The difference does matter. Or are you upset you didn’t get an award?

It's the award. He's THAT vain

Johney

Maybe your just an :censored2: that's why.

qdg2

It's the award. He's THAT vain
Not true...

You missed the whole gist of the conversation....all to bully me. Got it. Now, tell me how you know me. I can't recall meeting you.

Not surprising.

Coaching is the first step of discipline. No? Better believe it. And yes....solely on the electronic surveillance. Yes, I know about the contract.....but it happened anyway. Say, if we can't be disciplined anyway...do we have to listen to it? Serious question.

And you missed the gist also...

Point was.....we drive in traffic and out over the road all day and night long. Encountering numerous scenarios involving everything from squirrels to great big deer(in my area anyway)....the odd horse and cow...how about a momma duck and her chicks. We had a dude walking right down the highway the other day....right in the middle.

We encounter folks that refuse to yield(State Law)....speeding....weaving...whatever.

We have to negotiate all this and be safe.

Most of the cases where I heavy brake IS TO AVOID AN ACCIDENT. I became a 30+ Circle of Honor and 40+ year no lost time injury for a reason. I avoid accidents/injuries. Having a snot nosed ORS that couldn't hack it in feeders "coach" me is ludicrous.

I cannot drive for other folks and "Get a big picture" for every scenario. Nor am I going to get into an accident to avoid one. Except for a very short time for one ORS....none of our current ORS's has ever driven a feeder except Corporate feeder school.

BTW, I threw my 40 year service plaque in the trash with every "safety award" I receive.....as they mean NOTHING to the company. Ours just stack up and collect dust. Truth.

My ORS admitted...."I wasn't there and couldn't see other parts of the scenario...." "and not sure what happened before..."

One ORS admitted "I can't believe how much you guys get brake-checked..." Gosh....really?

A common scenario: Merging traffic into my lane...they'll pass up 15 cars and come and set right beside me until I yield....knowing if something happens.....they'll call the UPS hotline to complain....all the while State Law requires THEM to yield.

Result? The other party could be faulted and ticketed......and we come away with a chargeable accident.

This BS happens ALL DAY LONG.

I come to a complete stop ON THE HIGHWAY several times a day due to construction, breakdowns whatever. I had a car go by me the other day doing smokey 360's out of control at 70+ mph.....there are at least 3-4 rollovers a week on my run....median crossovers into opposite traffic. Happens all the time. Burned to the ground semi's involving passenger cars....

Thebrownblob

Not true...

You missed the whole gist of the conversation....all to bully me. Got it. Now, tell me how you know me. I can't recall meeting you.

Not surprising.

Coaching is the first step of discipline. No? Better believe it. And yes....solely on the electronic surveillance. Yes, I know about the contract.....but it happened anyway. Say, if we can't be disciplined anyway...do we have to listen to it? Serious question.

Point was.....we drive in traffic and out over the road all day and night long. Encountering numerous scenarios involving everything from squirrels to great big deer(in my area anyway)....the odd horse and cow...how about a momma duck and her chicks. We had a dude walking right down the highway the other day....right in the middle.

We encounter folks that refuse to yield(State Law)....speeding....weaving...whatever.

Most of the cases where I heavy brake IS TO AVOID AN ACCIDENT. I became a 30+ Circle of Honor and 40+ year no lost time injury for a reason. I avoid accidents/injuries. Having a snot nosed ORS that couldn't hack it in feeders "coach" me is ludicrous.

I cannot drive for other folks and "Get a big picture" for every scenario. Nor am I going to get into an accident to avoid one. Except for a very short time for one ORS....none of our current ORS's has ever driven a feeder except Corporate feeder school.

BTW, I threw my 40 year service plaque in the trash with every "safety award" I receive.....as they mean NOTHING to the company. Ours just stack up and collect dust. Truth.

My ORS admitted...."I wasn't there and couldn't see other parts of the scenario...." "and not sure what happened before..."

One ORS admitted "I can't believe how much you guys get brake-checked..." Gosh....really?

A common scenario: Merging traffic into my lane...they'll pass up 15 cars and come and set right beside me until I yield....knowing if something happens.....they'll call the UPS hotline to complain....all the while State Law requires THEM to yield.

Result? The other party could be faulted and ticketed......and we come away with a chargeable accident.

I come to a complete stop ON THE HIGHWAY several times a day due to construction, breakdowns whatever. I had a car go by me the other day doing smokey 360's out of control at 70+ mph.....there are at least 3-4 rollovers a week on my run....median crossovers into opposite traffic. Happens all the time. Burned to the ground semi's involving passenger cars....
I’m not gonna read your soliloquy it’s ridiculous and no coaching is not the first step to discipline. It’s annoyance and trivial and means nothing. They’ve coached me twice and both times we look at the video and we can’t figure out why the thing was barking at me they shook their shoulders I move on nothing is even written down. Once again I asked you a simple question and you accuse me of bullying you because you’re a coward and just can’t answer. If your statement about the cameras was a riddle that’s not my fault you play a very poor Riddler.

If you feel you’re being harassed just file a grievance and stop your bitching it’s annoying you always got your nose in other peoples business and you think you know what’s going on and you don’t because that’s what foolish people do.

It’s difficult to have a conversation with someone who accuses you of bullying because he’s got the intellect of a three-year-old.

Last edited:

Trucker Clock

another(mine) for a truck not yielding on a highway entry/merge.

Get the big picture and expect the unexpected. You should have expected him not to yield and should have been prepared for it.

they claimed I should have been getting the big picture

You should have.

what about our hero driver?

He did.

Didn't he(hero) see all that happening?

Yes.

You missed the whole gist of the conversation....all to bully me.

Bully. Your favorite over used word.

Coaching is the first step of discipline. No?

No.

Better believe it.

Nope.

Yes, I know about the contract.....but it happened anyway.

Then enforce the contract, if you got the guts.

Say, if we can't be disciplined anyway...do we have to listen to it? Serious question.

Yes.

Get the big picture and expect the unexpected.

Most of the cases where I heavy brake IS TO AVOID AN ACCIDENT. I became a 30+ Circle of Honor and 40+ year no lost time injury for a reason. I avoid accidents/injuries.

Because you get the big picture and expect the unexpected. Why are you complaining about it now?

Having a snot nosed ORS that couldn't hack it in feeders "coach" me is ludicrous.

Irrelevant.

I cannot drive for other folks and "Get a big picture" for every scenario.

Yes you can. Well....maybe you can't.

Except for a very short time for one ORS....none of our current ORS's has ever driven a feeder except Corporate feeder school.

Irrelevant.

It means a lot to the Company. It costs them money if you were to get into an accident. While your safe driving itself means nothing to them, your zero accidents means the world, because it has cost them nothing.

If you are getting brake checked, you are not following the methods and are driving too closely. 4-6 seconds under 30 mph. 6-8 seconds 30 mph and higher.

So you expect them to yield just because it's the law? How many times do you break the law and drive faster than the posted speed limit?

You should have expected him not to yield and should have left yourself an out.

Cowboy Mac

Not true...

Not surprising.

Get the big picture and expect the unexpected. You should have expected him not to yield and should have been prepared for it.

You should have.

He did.

Yes.

Bully. Your favorite over used word.

No.

Nope.

Then enforce the contract, if you got the guts.

Yes.

Because you get the big picture and expect the unexpected. Why are you complaining about it now?

Irrelevant.

Yes you can. Well....maybe you can't.

Irrelevant.

It means a lot to the Company. It costs them money if you were to get into an accident. While your safe driving itself means nothing to them, your zero accidents means the world, because it has cost them nothing.

If you are getting brake checked, you are not following the methods and are driving too closely. 4-6 seconds under 30 mph. 6-8 seconds 30 mph and higher.

So you expect them to yield just because it's the law? How many times do you break the law and drive faster than the posted speed limit?

You should have expected him not to yield and should have left yourself an out.

50013FE8-0746-4E54-85A4-E96A64A8B904.jpeg

over9five

Staff member
I will absolutely have my steward present during any "coaching session". Of course this will be used in a future disciplinary action, we all know how they operate.

Thebrownblob

I will absolutely have my steward present during any "coaching session". Of course this will be used in a future disciplinary action, we all know how they operate.
Smart, although as long as you don’t sign anything, and or file a grievance if they try to discipline you on this electronic surveillance it won’t go very far. I’ve been told 1 million times the company can write you up for anything they want doesn’t mean it will stick. And if they want to write you up for things that are not contractual that would also be another grievance for harassment.