My UPS hub is going on strike.

Capnfapn

Pessimistically Optimistic.
O
We have all been there. Used to take sometimes 10 years of working PT before you got a chance at a FT job. Now you only need to work 6 months in some locations.
I’m not sure which it is in my hub. If I’m honest, I’m not sure I’d be able to handle full time at UPS. I really like the job itself but it’s pretty physically taxing on me as I’m barely 100lbs and I already have a bad knee and bad back LOL.

Capnfapn

Then why are you in here whining about your situation?
Go talk to somebody at brown since you bleed for them
It was a joke. I’m not trying to whine. Sorry if it came across that way. I’m just very scared about my financial situation and job.

PT Car Washer

O

I’m not sure which it is in my hub. If I’m honest, I’m not sure I’d be able to handle full time at UPS. I really like the job itself but it’s pretty physically taxing on me as I’m barely 100lbs and I already have a bad knee and bad back LOL.
New guys always get the worst jobs. Stick it out and with the turnover use your seniority to take a job you can live with long term. I have been doing this for over 4 decades. Never be afraid to try another position.

Capnfapn

New guys always get the worst jobs. Stick it out and with the turnover use your seniority to take a job you can live with long term. I have been doing this for over 4 decades. Never be afraid to try another position.
Will do. One of my coworkers who’s been there 10 years gave me the same advice. I’ve done loading trailers, unloading metros, sorting, and now I’m doing pick off.

Trailer monkey

I’m a part time package handler at my local hub. I was signed on for $21/hr and my 9 month waiting period for benefits will be up in march. Last Wednesday my supervisor told us that a higher up wanted to talk to us (not sure if from union or corporate honestly) and to shut off the belt and meet by trailer 106. When we’re all gathered there the guy tells us that the week PRIOR our wages were lowered from $21/hr to $16.10/hr. Not only did UPS not contact anyone in any way to notify us of the change, but the cities minimum wage raised to $16.20 the first of this month and they’re paying us $16.10. The guy said that they had organized a protest the next day from 7am-10am. He also said that they filed a grievance, and if they don’t restore the wages then we will “consider it a strikeable offense.” I wasn’t able to go to the protest but I know that by the end of the day no progress was made and about 100 people were there. Me and one other loader checked upsers.com and it said our rates were $17.50, but two other coworkers’ paystubs did indeed say $16.10. Has this happened to anyone else before? Are we gonna go on strike now? What’s gonna happen? Am I gonna have to find another job?
They were doing these MRAs even before covid, it should have been in the 2018 contract that anyone who gets an MRA keeps it, this is an effing union shop! no one should ever see a pay reduction

Last edited:

PT Car Washer

Will do. One of my coworkers who’s been there 10 years gave me the same advice. I’ve done loading trailers, unloading metros, sorting, and now I’m doing pick off.
Never did pick off but it looks like something I could live with until retirement. If I ever lose car wash.

Capnfapn

Never did pick off but it looks like something I could live with until retirement. If I ever lose car wash.
I hated pick off. The belt I did was actually pretty tough. Stuff coming fast and picking off to 5 drops. You had to be quick.
It’s not too bad. The belt I’m on tends to be dead, then a million packages at once, then dead and the cycle repeats. I like to see how long I can go without turning off the belt and I just watch TV when it’s slow.

EmpireUPS909

Trailer sweep is a cake walk
Currently, informational pickets have happened in NorCal. SoCal is coming soon. Prior to what others have stated about the MRA, management stated multiple times to employees that the raise was permanent.

Capnfapn

Currently, informational pickets have happened in NorCal. SoCal is coming soon. Prior to what others have stated about the MRA, management stated multiple times to employees that the raise was permanent.
Yes I’m in NorCal! They’ve held at LEAST one (maybe more) protests.
Frankly I hadn’t heard anything about the MRA before this thread. So I wonder if that will help with strikes/protests/reinstating wages. Like someone told me, I’m hopeful but preparing for the worst.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
You really think so? I found out about all of this on Wednesday. On Tuesday after I got off I had been thinking to myself about how much I like the job. I’m really bummed out
Don't blame the company. The union negotiates wages.