NDA scams

upscorpis

Call tag scams are occurring. Often, the original shipment was delivered by a different carrier. The scammer then calls the consignee to explain the shipment was in error and UPS will come by to pick it up.

BTW, nice detective work Dizzee. I guarantee that was scammers in action.

Just Lurking

Call tag scams are occurring. Often, the original shipment was delivered by a different carrier. The scammer then calls the consignee to explain the shipment was in error and UPS will come by to pick it up.
...and this is a scam in what way?

Credit card fraud. Order items with stolen credit card, send to third party and then have UPS pick-up with NDA call tags going to a shipping/receiving counter not a real address. It all goes so fast that they can move on quickly.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Credit card fraud. Order items with stolen credit card, send to third party and then have UPS pick-up with NDA call tags going to a shipping/receiving counter not a real address. It all goes so fast that they can move on quickly.

Gotcha.

brett636

I would get those things in my letter boxes from time to time when I was air driving. They were very easy to spot and I would just turn them into LP as I found them. There is a special place in hell for the people who would try and swindle money from those who don't know better. Most of the victims of this kind of scam are in bad financial shape anyway and these scammers only make it 10 times worse for them.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
I would get those things in my letter boxes from time to time when I was air driving. They were very easy to spot and I would just turn them into LP as I found them. There is a special place in hell for the people who would try and swindle money from those who don't know better. Most of the victims of this kind of scam are in bad financial shape anyway and these scammers only make it 10 times worse for them.

That could explain why they are in bad financial shape, falling for crap like this. There is only one sure-fire way to get money. Earn it.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

That could explain why they are in bad financial shape, falling for crap like this. There is only one sure-fire way to get money. Earn it.

It is not always those in poor financial shape who fall for this scam. We had a local vice-principal who lost his job as a result of this scam. He did not even try to cash the money order--he did endorse it but then thought he had better get it checked out so he brought it to his bank and asked them to verify it. They instead contacted police.

Dizzee

ɹǝqɯǝɯ ɹoıuǝs
It is not always those in poor financial shape who fall for this scam. We had a local vice-principal who lost his job as a result of this scam. He did not even try to cash the money order--he did endorse it but then thought he had better get it checked out so he brought it to his bank and asked them to verify it. They instead contacted police.

I've picked up hundreds of these letters over the last year or so. We had a good laugh one night, when we saw that one was addressed to a police department in New York.

nocturnalbuck

one day i got a messege from our center saying not to deliver one of my NDA because it was a scam. probably two weeks ago, i wonder if it was from the same woman....

i was eyeing up an atv on craiglist a few months ago. seemed like a pretty good deal. i emailed the person to go and look at it. they emailed me back saying that it was in a town across the state and that this person was leaving the country to do missionary work. they said that reason it was so underpriced was that the proceeds were going to charity. then it said that i would have to pay first (before looking at it) with a certified check because they didn't want to risk getting scammed.

i said i would drive across the state and pay with cash money in hand.

i never heard from this person again.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Craig's List is one of the easiest ways to get scammed. They have no safeguards in place to protect the buyer. Always use caution when dealing with Craig's List. EBAY is, by far, a better alternative. They screen their sellers and have buyer protection.

brett636

Craig's List is one of the easiest ways to get scammed. They have no safeguards in place to protect the buyer. Always use caution when dealing with Craig's List. EBAY is, by far, a better alternative. They screen their sellers and have buyer protection.

As long as you follow craigslist guidelines and deal locally and in person you can avoid most of not all the scams. My biggest annoyance when posting something for sale on craigslist is the flood of "offers" to buy your item from someone in another part of the country or out of the country. I had posted a car for sale on craigslist and someone had e-mailed me who was supposedly from Maryland and was wanting to purchase the car, sight unseen except for the pictures, for their relative in California. Scams like that are obvious and be easily spotted if you know what to look for.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid

My experience has been just the opposite. I have bought and sold a lot of stuff on Craigslist, and I have a really simple rule..."cash only". No checks, no money orders, no BS. We meet in person, we exchange the item, we exchange cash, and we are done. If it is a car, I make sure I get (or give) a clear title. If its a gun, or a higher-dollar item like a TV or a laptop, I record the drivers license and license plate # of the seller and politely inform them that I will be calling my local police dept the following day to have them run the serial #'s of whatever I am buying to make sure the item isnt "hot". If the seller does not agree to these conditions in advance, I walk. I have never bought or sold anything on Ebay, I would rather see and handle the item in person.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
I've bought quite a few things on ebay. I've never been disappointed with anything that I have gotten. I do definitely rely on the sellers rep when I decide to buy something.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I've bought quite a few things on ebay. I've never been disappointed with anything that I have gotten. I do definitely rely on the sellers rep when I decide to buy something.

I will freely admit to being totally ignorant of how Ebay works. I have a real fear of getting scammed, so I just avoid it altogether. I feel a lot more comfortable when I can meet the seller in person, physically inspect the item for myself, and count off the cash being placed in my hand.