Need a little encouragement (On Topic)

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
Usually, I recommend to new drivers to do whatever it takes to make scratch their first thirty days. A new driver has to show improvement and get the job first before he worries about the contractual hour lunch. The load quality is often bad plus they lose time trying to read a map of some sort and drive. They lose a lot of time in back of their cars sorting, and that doesn't show up as working if you are clocked out on break or lunch. Driving around delivering while on break does show up on reports and throws out a red flag.

I mentor new drivers and I tell them if they are picking up the same boxes ten times a day they are having problems organizing their load. I will cram different size boxes together tightly on the rear shelf sections or floor that are to be delivered later in the day, I want them to stay put, not fall or slide around getting in my way all day. You need to take your DIAD and line up 5-10 stops and not waste time hunting for packages at every stop. When you get one delivery off, slide a new one up from the back and repeat that process. That car is going to empty out eventually one box at a time. I like to know where a package is before I drive to the next address.

Dumbo

The stress and anxiety are from the worry about providing for my family and leaving a stable good paying job for this high risk one. Reading on here hasn't helped, because I just imagine worst case scenario, however I have to believe that it's not all ad bad as people say it is on this forum. I consider myself a quick learner, respectful, and a hard worker.
Wouldn't they need some sort of reason to let me go? Why advertise a full time permanent position and then not work the guy 40 hours or lay them off? That seems like it would be illegal. You can really mess up somebody's family doing that. You can destroy lives doing that.

jaker

trolling
You get a lot of different response because ups is different across the country

I could give you info and It sounds different then what is posted above

What state are you in

Future

Victory Ride
Usually, I recommend to new drivers to do whatever it takes to make scratch their first thirty days. A new driver has to show improvement and get the job first before he worries about the contractual hour lunch. The load quality is often bad plus they lose time trying to read a map of some sort and drive. They lose a lot of time in back of their cars sorting, and that doesn't show up as working if you are clocked out on break or lunch. Driving around delivering while on break does show up on reports and throws out a red flag.

I mentor new drivers and I tell them if they are picking up the same boxes ten times a day they are having problems organizing their load. I will cram different size boxes together tightly on the rear shelf sections or floor that are to be delivered later in the day, I want them to stay put, not fall or slide around getting in my way all day. You need to take your DIAD and line up 5-10 stops and not waste time hunting for packages at every stop. When you get one delivery off, slide a new one up from the back and repeat that process. That car is going to empty out eventually one box at a time. I like to know where a package is before I drive to the next address.
I thought he already made his 30 days?

UnconTROLLed

perfection
I forgot to add -"no accidents, no injures, no late air" is a common saying at UPS, but also a good attitude, no matter how good or bad it gets. There's going to be really GOOD days where everything clicks and the stars align, and there's going to be dog days where you are beaten out there until well into the night. Never focus on the previous day, the next is a clean slate.

Dumbo

And I think I will improve. I grew up in the area and mostly know the major roads so I think I'll get them down fairly quick. Im just worried that it won't be good enough or they wont have work for me.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
The stress and anxiety are from the worry about providing for my family and leaving a stable good paying job for this high risk one. Reading on here hasn't helped, because I just imagine worst case scenario, however I have to believe that it's not all ad bad as people say it is on this forum. I consider myself a quick learner, respectful, and a hard worker.
Wouldn't they need some sort of reason to let me go? Why advertise a full time permanent position and then not work the guy 40 hours or lay them off? That seems like it would be illegal. You can really mess up somebody's family doing that. You can destroy lives doing that.

Seems to me you should have been asking these questions

Before you quit your other job

Dumbo

I would go back to the 15 year job and save yourself the headache

Thing is I want an active job. I am pretty fit and like feeling like I'm working for my money...like I've accomplished something. My last job was sedentary. Also, I had no benefits in my last job. I need health insurance for my family and the top pay is amazing.

Dumbo

I was asking them. I asked the UPS drivers as they came through and they all said it's hard work but pays great. I knew better than to hold them up all day. I asked the HR guy in the interview to which he said it's not for everyone and he said it's full time. He told me I need to memorize the DOK before I even start which I did. I read every job review on glass door and other sites. After everything I could find on the job, my wife and I decided to take the plunge. I didn't find this site until later, and honestly 99 percent of the negative and worrisome stuff is on here only.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
I was asking them. I asked the UPS drivers as they came through and they all said it's hard work but pays great. I knew better than to hold them up all day. I asked the HR guy in the interview to which he said it's not for everyone and he said it's full time. He told me I need to memorize the DOK before either even start which I did. I read every job review on glass door and other sites. After everything I could find on the job, my wife and I decided to take the plunge. I didn't find this site until later, and honestly 99 percent of the negative and worrisome stuff is on here only.

Good Luck!!

Faceplanted

Better make sure your classification is truelly full time, also better make sure you get your 30 days before oct 15. If you don't get your 30 days before oct 15, they can not qualify you and have you working part time for 10 bucks an hour from Jan until vacations pick up next year

They can qualify drivers whenever they want, most of the time the use and abuse drivers like you and dangle carrots in front of them for a couple years. All the while the driver barely drives and is getting peanuts

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Thing is I want an active job. I am pretty fit and like feeling like I'm working for my money...like I've accomplished something. My last job was sedentary. Also, I had no benefits in my last job. I need health insurance for my family and the top pay is amazing.
The problem most of us see is the chances you're anything more than a seasonal employee are slim.

Dumbo

The problem most of us see is the chances you're anything more than a seasonal employee are slim.

Why do that though? They have a whole separate area of the job applications page for seasonal/temp jobs. My job was under full time permanent jobs area. If that was the case why wouldn't they just post it under the seasonal jobs page?

I asked the HR guy point blank if this was permanent and he said absolutely it was. I told him I was leaving a 15 year job and am the sole bread winner to my family and he said no worries, it's permanent.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Why do that though? They have a whole separate area of the job applications page for seasonal/temp jobs. My job was under full time permanent jobs area. If that was the case why wouldn't they just post it under the seasonal jobs page?

I asked the HR guy point blank if this was permanent and he said absolutely it was. I told him I was leaving a 15 year job and am the sole bread winner to my family and he said no worries, it's permanent.
Would you have applied if it was posted there?

Dumbo

Would you have applied if it was posted there?

No of course not. However that would be misrepresentation and I would think they could be sued for doing that. You can't offer somebody a job under documented conditions and then change your mind and deliberately mislead them. My last job I hired people, and if I lied about the job posting to that level and completely fabricated the position, I would imagine I could have been fired or sued.