Need a little encouragement (On Topic)

upschuck

Don't let these guys scare you. Seasonal hiring stops labor day. Any day you work after that counts towards seniority. They may or may not qualify you til January, though. Just a heads up, though, you will have many days that you will not work, because you'll be at the bottom, stick it out, we've all been through it. Find another very flexible job, or a day laborer if money is right for the first bit, for you won't really have a set schedule for the first while. Good luck.

MrFeeder

Supervisor will ride with you for three days and fourth you're on your own. Pay close attention and take notes. Drive around the route after work and study the route (delivery/pick up points). First and foremost, I would ask your supervisor for permission to come an hour early in the morning (off the clock) to fix your load and next day airs while it's being loaded (coming in early off the clock is not allowed but if your supervisor wants you to pass, he'll pull through) this will greatly help you, trust me.

Secondly, once you get to know your time frame, you either take 30 or an hour lunch no more no less. They want to see if you're capable of doing a route with a meal logged in. This is very important. I have seen people get washed by not taking lunch thinking they're at advantage. During lunch sort your truck. If you know you won't make an air delivery or can't find it, message in and cover your butt. But this is why I say come early in the morning to check your airs and such.

Thirdly, work fast but very safely and efficient. Once you pass your thirty and make the book and unionized, post here again. I'll post a response of how not to give a fuhhhhh. Other than that, you're on your way to your progressions of making over 100k a year.

Dumbo

Wow this is starting to freak me out and I'm starting to feel sick. I left my job with the understanding I was getting hired for a permanent full time position, meaning I'm getting 40 hours or more per week. I have a family to provide for. I cannot wrap my head around how a company could hire somebody under documented laid out conditions and then have no work for them. I was under the understanding that once you start it's a 30 day probation from start date and after that your in the union.

Technically I was asked to start back at the end of July but I needed to transfer over a lot of stuff in my old job and I asked for a delayed start date to which they gave me because they said they liked me. Seasonal drivers are hired before labor day? My start date will be Sept 5. I filled all the new hire stuff out back in July.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Don't let these guys scare you. Seasonal hiring stops labor day. Any day you work after that counts towards seniority. They may or may not qualify you til January, though. Just a heads up, though, you will have many days that you will not work, because you'll be at the bottom, stick it out, we've all been through it. Find another very flexible job, or a day laborer if money is right for the first bit, for you won't really have a set schedule for the first while. Good luck.
Not trying to scare the guy but how often do we hear about this here?

Happens ALL OF THE TIME!!!!

Dumbo

They did tell me I would be on a Tues through Sat schedule. Does that mean anything as far as hours stability?

Faceplanted

They did tell me I would be on a Tues through Sat schedule. Does that mean anything as far as hours stability?
No... I'll be dead honest with you. You prob won't get 40 hours a week until nov... and come jan they might not even need you anymore until summer.

There is a CHANCE, a very slim one at that, that you will be perminate full time after peak

Also you have to "qualify". If you are not up to their standards within the first 30 days, break a mirror, anything... ups will tell you c ya later

Just tryna be honest

It's honestly terrible what hr does to you guys.... literally ruining families. Makes me sick.

Dumbo

This is what the posting said and it's NOT under the Part Time Seasonal section.

UPS is accepting applications for full-time Package Delivery Drivers.

"Full-time UPS employees work eight or more hours per day and workdays can vary (Monday - Friday) or (Tuesday - Saturday) depending on the building needs"

It says they work 8 hours or more daily. That would be grossly misrepsenting themselves to advertise this and then not uphold it.

Especially to say over and over again it's full time permanent.

Faceplanted

This is what the posting said and it's NOT under the Part Time Seasonal section.

"Full-time UPS employees work eight or more hours per day and workdays can vary (Monday - Friday) or (Tuesday - Saturday) depending on the building needs"

It says they work 8 hours or more daily. That would be grossly misrepsenting themselves to advertise this and then not uphold it.
Dude... listen to us. You have no leg to stand on, this happens all the time. They only need you for peak. If they put seasonal nobody would apply.

I wish you the best but we've all seen this happen too many times to count.

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
UPS is all about making numbers. (MAR) (minimum acceptable requirements) HR has MAR's. Drivers have them. ORS have them. Center managers have them. Management will do whatever it takes to make their numbers, because their pay is based on performance of their employees. Sometimes, numbers get fudged. Sometimes lies are told. Not in the BOG, tho. It's just a way of life in this company. Always has been. Always will be. Management is not your friend or buddy. You are a stepping stone, a disposable entity for them to get to the top. Some are better than others. Work hard, keep a good attitude thru the bad times. Volunteer to help when possible. Some guys when told there is no work to be had, show up in their uniform anyway and get put to work because of a last minute glitch. We have all been through it in one degree or another. Good luck to you.

sandwich

The resident gearhead
True, although the jury seems to be out (both at work and here at BC) on whether or not you should take the full hour or use that time to sort your truck. Personally I work through lunch which I know is taboo among the veteran drivers but for me, an hour is too long to sit with a truck full of boxes.

I wasn't advocating that he shouldn't punch out if he takes lunch etc.
The jury is not out. Lunch breaks are unpaid. No work is to be done. If you were to hurt yourself while on lunch because you were working off the clock you could be terminated. Or you could have a lawsuit on your hands if your supervisor was forcing you to sort the truck on your lunch break. Lunch break is your time, not theirs.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Our hub has been hiring off the street drivers for months now, I believe it's because of the new Amazon warehouse.

I was hired off the street and leaving a 15 year job to be a full time permanent package car driver. There is a ton of risk for me in doing this. I have 3 young kids and my wife stays home.

I am a really hard worker and I will not give up. I'm typically a really likeable guy and get along with most people. The HR guy offered me the job on the spot. I was the only guy who showed up in that interview time slot with a suit and tie.

I have my uniform and report Tuesday for training. I literally have all the DOK and commentary memorized.

Reading these threads, there seems to be major inconsistency in how new drivers are trained. I've read the new hire thread but it's all back and forth random questions and unrelated commentary. Could somebody tell me what the actual 30 day packet process is? Do they drive around with you after the first week?

The biggest concern I have is reading these forums its hard to come across legit info. So many responses are sarcastic one liners, and there appears to be a high risk of just being let go and that they have pretty much look for any reason to let you go before your 30 days. All I read is management is evil and constantly telling at you.

I would love to hear from people as to how forgiving they really are. If I don't memorize an entire city layout in a couple weeks are they going to fire me? Are they going to keep throwing me out on different routes every day? I have had really bad anxiety with this new job change and I am doing everything I can to be the best I can be. Can anybody point me to a good thread that has a easy layout of FAQ for new package car drivers?

I would love to hear from people who have been recently hired and if they had a good experience with their training and supervisors. Thanks
What are you most worried about? Top 3? Put them in a simple sentence.

Brownslave688

The jury is not out. Lunch breaks are unpaid. No work is to be done. If you were to hurt yourself while on lunch because you were working off the clock you could be terminated. Or you could have a lawsuit on your hands if your supervisor was forcing you to sort the truck on your lunch break. Lunch break is your time, not theirs.
When you're training you sort during break.

It's the easiest way to make up
Time. If you don't make time during your 30 nothing else matters

Brownslave688

True, although the jury seems to be out (both at work and here at BC) on whether or not you should take the full hour or use that time to sort your truck. Personally I work through lunch which I know is taboo among the veteran drivers but for me, an hour is too long to sit with a truck full of boxes.

I wasn't advocating that he shouldn't punch out if he takes lunch etc.
Since you're working for free. I got a yard that needs mowed.

MendozaJ

Don't expect 40 hours a week. You will not work everyday. You won't make book before Oct 15th. You will work a lot between Thanksgiving and Christmas, covering the worst route(s). Afterwards, the hours will dry up again, and you will learn your fate by Jan 15th.

MendozaJ

Especially to say over and over again it's full time permanent.

Depending on the building needs. You need to get it out of your head that you're owed a steady paycheck, else you're in for a rough time.