Need Help

I have recently been terminated from my position for dishonesty and theft. Neither of which is true. My name has been linked to some stolen goods at are center. It is my understanding that I am not being terminated because I stole something rather I was terminated because my supervisor did not feel I was telling him the truth about me not knowing anything. During the meeting they had video tape with my name on it with the words evidence written on it. They have no video evidence of me taking anything because I am not a thief. How can they do this to me based on hear say? I had a choice to either resign or be terminated and have this on my record. Since the accusations were false I chose to be terminated and hope that the union will make things right. To reiterate, I am no thief and I have been a loyal employee for quite some time. I am just hoping some of my fellow upsers can help me through this tough time and maybe share some info on how to prepare for my union meeting. I have never been in a position like this before and I dont know what to do. I would like to thank all those in advance for your help.

Thanks for the help guys. Could they have video of me talking to someone while they are stealing something? No. Could they have video of me taking to someone that did steal something? I guess it is a possibility. From my understanding it is either arbitration or a lawyer. What does everyone suggest? I am so unfamiliar with all of this because this is the first time I have ever been accused of something like this. If I have to pay a lawyer to keep my job I will do that. The one thing I wont do is just roll over and let this happen. Thanks again to everyone for the help.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
"I have been a loyal employee for quite some time."

What do you consider, quite some time? If you knew someone was stealing and didn't say anything, that's wrong, and just as bad as stealing. JMHO

trickpony1

I would have asked, in the presence of a steward or BA, to see the video. The company may be trying to call your bluff and scare you into saying something, anything to keep your job. I've seen that before.
Good decision not to resign. If your BA is any good he will get your job back with backpay.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

To add to what Steve was saying, it sounds as though they terminated you for guilt by association. It is our responsiblity to report any unethical behavior that we either witness or have reason to believe may have occurred.

Hire a lawyer. You should be able to find one that will not charge you for the initial consultation and will only collect a fee if you win (usually 30-40%). Your Union benefits may also provide for legal counsel.

Arbitration differs from a trial in that your case will be decided by an independent person who will listen to both sides and then render a decision.

Good luck and let us know how things work out for you.

Dark_Team_135

To add to what Steve was saying, it sounds as though they terminated you for guilt by association. It is our responsiblity to report any unethical behavior that we either witness or have reason to believe may have occurred.

It may be some kind of moral obligation, but it isn't a contractual one. I have had loss prevention try to discipline people in the past for aledgedly knowing that someone was stealing but not reporting it. Unless the person was actively participating in this, there is no way they should be discharged.

As I told one L.P. guy during one of his speeches concerning these situations; people are killed daily over much less than turning someone in for something that can get them into legal problems or cause them to lose their jobs. Also, there is no way for anyone to be aware of exactly what anyone actually "knows" anyway...

Steve,
I should have been more clear. I have been at ups for over 5 years, and I had absolutely no prior knowledge that anyone was stealing anything. I feel the same as you, but I will not make up some story just to satisfy LP or my supervisor and get one of my fellow employees in trouble for something that they did not do. I would never do that. I am not that kind of person. As far as a lawyer or arbitration, I am kind of torn on which way I should go. My union steward has the day off so I am going to have to wait until Monday to get any answers. Hopefully someone can shed a little more light for me so I don't have to go through the entire weekend a nervous wreck. Again, thanks to all for the comments and help. It really means a lot to me.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Steve,
I should have been more clear. I have been at ups for over 5 years, and I had absolutely no prior knowledge that anyone was stealing anything. I feel the same as you, but I will not make up some story just to satisfy LP or my supervisor and get one of my fellow employees in trouble for something that they did not do. I would never do that. I am not that kind of person. As far as a lawyer or arbitration, I am kind of torn on which way I should go. My union steward has the day off so I am going to have to wait until Monday to get any answers. Hopefully someone can shed a little more light for me so I don't have to go through the entire weekend a nervous wreck. Again, thanks to all for the comments and help. It really means a lot to me.

Get the Steward's phone number from someone else. Call him and get him and the union BA working on this. Why wait the weekend when you can get the ball rolling and sleep soundly. Hope this works out for you.

Dark_Team_135

Your differentiation between a moral and contractual obligation makes me thankful that we do not work in the same center.

The feeling is mutual...unless you are a mind reader, I don't know how you can prove what someone "knows". Why don't we just go around telling on everyone who "might know" something so the company can fire them?

As you can see in the example of the OP that LP is trying to get him to tell on someone that he doesn't even believe was stealing at all...

I do believe that if someone is stealing from the company or the people that work there, they should absolutely be fired. But to fire everyone that might possibly know what they were doing is ridiculous.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
The feeling is mutual...unless you are a mind reader, I don't know how you can prove what someone "knows". Why don't we just go around telling on everyone who "might know" something so the company can fire them?

As you can see in the example of the OP that LP is trying to get him to tell on someone that he doesn't even believe was stealing at all...

I do believe that if someone is stealing from the company or the people that work there, they should absolutely be fired. But to fire everyone that might possibly know what they were doing is ridiculous.

Nothing to do with your post, but I think you'd find ths funny. I'm listening to Argent, singing Hold your head up, and while doing so, I'm looking at your avatar hitting its head against the wall. It's almost like a music video, LOL. Maybe you had to be there.:wink2:

chopstic

Well... I'm sure they didn't fire you for no reason at all. There had to be SOMETHING that lead them to believe you were involved. If you want help you are going to need to know what that something is. The good part here is that you don't have to prove your inoccence in the matter. If criminal accusations are made, the burden of proof always differs to the accuser.

City Driver

just to throw this in there if somebody is stealing im not gonna say a word to management or LP about it, it aint my place to snitch on somebody and get them fired, i just act like i have no idea its happening cuz i got nothin to do with it and dont want to be involved

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
just to throw this in there if somebody is stealing im not gonna say a word to management or LP about it, it aint my place to snitch on somebody and get them fired, i just act like i have no idea its happening cuz i got nothin to do with it and dont want to be involved

Sure, do that, and the thief you let get away with this, will one day rob you, or worse, your family. You can't turn a blind eye to these people for the simple reason that they are not just stealing from UPS, but they're stealing from you, as well. That loss comes right out of your pocket. You're a UPS'er and have a stake in this company.

You owe it to yourself, your customers and your family, to be honorable. Remember, there is no honor among thieve's, if they rob UPS, what will stop them from robbing you. That goes for robbing, raping, murder and whatever other bad things people do. Think that one over and remember what's at stake.

feederdriver06

former monkey slave
During the meeting they had video tape with my name on it with the words evidence written on it.
Years ago, almost 20 when I was part time, I went through a similar situation. An employee was stealing computers and related items. They rounded up all of us(at the time the thief and 4 of us were irreg drivers on the preload)and questioned us. At my meeting they had a video tape on the desk that had my name on it and the word "conspiracy" was written on the tape. This was on a Friday. I had no shop steward with me at the interrogations(didn't know my rights). Personally, I tore LP a new A-hole and destroyed their attempt to destroy my future with the company. They told me they would let me think about it over the weekend. Well, there was nothing to think about because I wasn't involved with the theft. They were bluffing, obviously figuring if I was guilty I would cowar and resign, I called their bluff instead and told them "I want my day in court. Lets see what you got on the video tape." Both of those LP turds jaws hit the floor. I'll never for get my victory.

The video tape is a trick.....If your'e not guilty I hope you win your case.

feederdriver06

former monkey slave
I will also add that an employee has NO responsibility in turning in an employee that is stealing. You could face reprocussions outside of work and risk bodily harm for doing so. That job belongs to LP. Let them do their job and actually earn their paycheck.

Chop,
Thanks for your input. It is greatly appreciated. Yes, there is more to this story than what I have told, but I want to make sure to be as discreet as possible. I have reason to believe that someone made an anonymous tip to the 1800 line and said that they saw me take something, put it in my back pocket and walk out the front door. As I have previously stated, I have never stolen anything, and am unaware of anybody else stealing anything. I have been up all night long picking my brain trying to figure out who hates me so much that they could do this to me. I thought I had no enemies, I was wrong. I find it disturbing that anyone with a grudge could call up the 1800 number, make up whatever they see fit and it could end up possibly costing someone their job. Thanks again to everyone for the help. It means a lot.