Need some advice. UPS vs USPS

Siveriano

Hello.

I just have a question.

so about a year ago I applied for a position at USPS as a driver, the job is to drive from the main building to the other post offices the schedule I chose was 10pm to 6am and the pay is $20/hour.
I have been with UPS for 3 weeks and I had worked 6 days, so today on my 6th day I asked how long before I will work the whole 5 or at least 4 days and I was told it wont happen as my route is slow on Mondays and Fridays, about 2 weeks I got a call from USPS to show up for orientation Monday 21th, but I didn't went so I got another call today and I told them I never got their email blah blah and the girl on the phone told me to go back on September 9 for s new orientation date.

so my question is what you guys think is better or if anyone has work for USPS before.
or any advice will be nice, as i just saw a guy who went to my same training class at Ups getting lay off because he was over for 130 clicks.

Thank you for your responses.

Siveriano

long term, UPS. USPS doesn't have a very bright future.

ok cool, but like right now, I really need to be working a FT job as I have a bunch of bills to pay before 2015. so I was thinking on maybe going USPS and then if it goes back then coming back to UPS in a year.

also today was my 6th day 8 hours of work and i was over by 88 clicks but we were hold this morning by preload for 35 minutes. how Im doing? I asked my super but he told me to scratch i have to be 0(zero) over. is this truth?

upschuck

On our 6th day and over only 88, you are doing quite well.

Only you know your circumstances, and if you can withstand the lean time at hand, but UPS is a far better job.

Siveriano

Are you sure the job is with the PO or is it with a contractor?

I believe is a Contractor hired by USPS to be in charge of the drivers

On our 6th day and over only 88, you are doing quite well.
Only you know your circumstances, and if you can withstand the lean time at hand, but UPS is a far better job.
Yeah i pick up the route pretty fast, I still have to look at a map I printed and laminated for the new streets they keep changing every day. But on the training they told us we need to be at least 85% efficient to scratch, does this means on a 8 hours load (800 clicks) being 88clicks over is like 80's right?
today i was with my super at the center, when he got a call from the center mngr asking how i was doing.
so i dont know what to think, if my mngr want to lay me off or maybe keep me.

Siveriano

Are the drivers USPS employees or do they work for the contractor?

The drivers will be USPS employees.

What they told me on one of the interviews was, Ill be on probation for 90 days then ill be hired for a year and after a year ill become fulltime and all benefits will apply.

margaritaville

Now is the best time to start at UPS, well technically like january 2014. You move up fast. If you are saying you could be a fulltime driver and not some sort of cover driver i would definately go with UPS if u feel comfortable as a driver.

Ya you might get laid off a lot between now and October. But after that you should have heavy hours xmas onwards. UPS is desperate for drivers and will probably keep a bunch of peak helpers on as fulltime. This means they will be the ones getting low hours come janauary, not you.

Think about it, low hours for 2 months, than endless hours til you retire. (UPS) or good hours slowly tapering off than prob no job. (USPS).

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
The ups job won't be here in a year if you quit now. I'm assuming you were hired off the street?

Do everything you can to stick with ups. In a couple of months you'll be working 12 hours a day everyday.

The drivers will be USPS employees.

What they told me on one of the interviews was, Ill be on probation for 90 days then ill be hired for a year and after a year ill become fulltime and all benefits will apply.
I know a guy that they keep re uping every year but they never make him full time. I think it's a loop hole in their contract or something. I'd keep running it out at ups.

What'dyabringmetoday???

Hello.

I just have a question.

so about a year ago I applied for a position at USPS as a driver, the job is to drive from the main building to the other post offices the schedule I chose was 10pm to 6am and the pay is $20/hour.
I have been with UPS for 3 weeks and I had worked 6 days, so today on my 6th day I asked how long before I will work the whole 5 or at least 4 days and I was told it wont happen as my route is slow on Mondays and Fridays, about 2 weeks I got a call from USPS to show up for orientation Monday 21th, but I didn't went so I got another call today and I told them I never got their email blah blah and the girl on the phone told me to go back on September 9 for s new orientation date.

so my question is what you guys think is better or if anyone has work for USPS before.
or any advice will be nice, as i just saw a guy who went to my same training class at Ups getting lay off because he was over for 130 clicks.

Thank you for your responses.
The 21th. I like that. Lol for sure. Good luck. Really.