Negative Press

M

montecarlo11

irony,
heeyyyy where have you been hiding??
yes i have the info for you. I havent seen any post from you in awhile. are you ok?

M

montecarlo11

irony,
might have an idea what your secret ups weapon is coming down the pike. is it coming out sometime in 2008?? If this is correct, why the big hold up. I read the article but thats not new technology. In the article it says there having trouble getting WI-Fi and Bluetooth to work together. this is old stuff. I guess its better to come late then not at all. we have been working on that technology since 2002 and its done very well in test markets. we will be using them company wide this fall. I hope that doesn't throw a monkey wrench into UPS's idea of revolutionizing the shipping industry. WE TAKE CARE OF THAT OVER HERE!
clapbounce.gif

M

montecarlo11

( BW)(TN-FEDEX/MOTOROLA)(FDX)(MOT) Motorola, FedEx Develop Wireless, Pocket PC for Couriers to Enhance Customer Service

Business Editors

MEMPHIS, Tenn.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Nov. 26, 2002--

FedEx(R) PowerPad provides faster mobile, online access to pickup and
delivery information as well as service updates

FedEx Corporate Services, a subsidiary of FedEx Corporation (NYSE:FDX), and Motorola (NYSE:MOT) are developing FedEx(R) PowerPad, a Microsoft Windows-Powered Pocket PC designed to enhance customer service by providing 40,000 FedEx Express couriers with online, near real-time, wireless access to the FedEx network.

The device is part of Motorola's extensive portfolio of integrated communications and information solutions.

Exclusively designed for FedEx, the FedEx PowerPad will enhance and accelerate package information available to customers by enabling couriers to wirelessly send and receive near real-time information and updates from any location. Additional functionality will be added, such as up-to-date information on shipping rates and inclement weather advisories.

The FedEx PowerPad will replace the current hand-held courier device, the FedEx(R) Supertracker. The new device is under testing and is expected to be widely available in early 2003.

FedEx continues to lead in developing its cutting-edge advances in wireless technology, rolling out solutions that make FedEx shipping information readily available anytime, anywhere to customers and employees. The company pioneered the use of wireless technology for shipping more than 20 years ago when it created its own private radio network, one of the world's largest. FedEx was the first transportation company to offer package tracking via wireless hand-held devices and wireless-ring scanners. FedEx was also the first to offer real-time package-tracking and drop-off location information via most types of PDAs and wireless phones.

"We continuously explore ways that technology can help us improve customer service, and the FedEx PowerPad is the latest example," said Winn Stephenson, senior vice president of IT Development for FedEx Services. "The FedEx PowerPad will give FedEx Express couriers convenient online access from any location, allowing them to update customer-package information almost immediately. We expect to be adding even more customer service features."
As soon as a package is scanned, the FedEx PowerPad immediately uploads information into the FedEx network. The signature capture capability on the PowerPad's touch screen is also loaded onto the network, enabling confirmation of signature proof of delivery.

The FedEx PowerPad will act as a personal network gateway and convey data directly to and from the FedEx internal network within minutes. Couriers will no longer need to return to the van to upload package information or refer to cumbersome manuals for additional shipping and service information, boosting courier efficiency and maximizing package visibility.

"Motorola and FedEx worked together from the start to develop a product that meets unique needs for convenience, flexibility, and ease of use, ensuring that it functions as a virtual online courier, " said Dave Nairn, Motorola Communications and Electronics vice president. "The FedEx PowerPad can also be easily supported by various networks to optimize and expand coverage into international regions, and take advantage of new network technologies."

W

worldwide

montecarlo11,

The Fortune Most Admired list does not say anything even close to what you claimed ("im sure pkgs can and do get lost in the fedex express system, just not nearly as many as in the UPS system."

You are big on claiming you post facts so please cut and paste a quote from the Fortune article/list that backs up your claim.

To help you, the most admired list has eight key attributes of reputation in their industry rank: Innovation, Employee talent, Use of corporate assets, Social responsibility, Quality of management, Financial soundness, Long-term investment, and Quality of products/services.

UPS was ranked number one in the delivery industry for Use of corporate assets, Social responsibility, and Financial soundness.

Fedex was ranked number one in the industry for the other categories.

Keep in mind what the bottom line scores were: Fedex 8.52 and UPS 8.50. Statistically not a significant difference.

You claim "IF you do your research you will see its broken down by ontime del and pickups, customer service, customer satisfaction, handling claims, etc... not my opinion, just facts."

No where in the Fortune article are any of these things mentioned. Again, please post the issue number and page number if you are so sure.

The Most Admired is a ranking of results that show how CEOs, directors, and veteran analysts judged the competition.

If you are truly interested in rankings of the criteria you mentioned by people that actually process and ship packages, you may want to review Parcel Shipping and Distribution Magazine "Best Practices Survey 2004." They do rank in the following categories: Customer Service, On-Time Performance, Delivery Performance, Claims Processing and Refunds for Late Deliveries.

The Parcel Shipping & Distribution Best Practice Survey concluded that UPS was best-in-class in several categories, including customer service, delivery performance (i.e., driver courtesy, package handling) and pricing.

O

ok2bclever

monte,

You post "facts" much like your spelling, inaccurately.
biggrin.gif

You use the "facts" word for almost everything you post, but mostly you just post company advertisements and quoted opinions.

Hardly what I would call facts.

You have a strong habit of ignoring facts actually.

I noticed you didn't acknowledge traveler's facts supporting my fourth place estimate or my taking that a bit farther and showing that fedex is losing ground on the total revenue game to us year after year despite massive debt incursions trying to buy their way into expansion.

The brown envy thing is just so funny and self evident and I have to admit a bit impish on my part, but it pushes your button so well.

It being true is just icing on the cake.

I and most UPSers have no desire, none, to go on fedex boards.

There is a reason.

We really don't care what the fourth place company guys think.
It is understandable what with us being the real number one that what we do and say would be of much interest to you down there and your presence is the proof.

M

montecarlo11

FedEx, Motorola Building Business PDA
November 26, 2002 | InformationWeek

FedEx Corp. and Motorola Inc. have built a PDA that FedEx plans to distribute to its drivers starting next summer. The PowerPad runs on the Microsoft Pocket PC operating system and includes Bluetooth and GPRS technology for wireless transmission of shipping data.

The device can communicate via infrared signal with a portable printer carried by drivers. The PowerPad will replace a model built 15 years ago, says Ken Pasley, director of wireless systems development for FedEx. It's expected to cut paperwork handled by FedEx administrators because customers can sign their names directly onto the PowerPad screen instead of paper bar-coded sheets.

The PDA is roughly the size of a flip-flop and will capture, store, and transmit the signature to FedEx's database via a public wireless network or FedEx's private network

M

montecarlo11

Irony,
is this the secret weapon? how come FEDEX got it to work? how come we will be using it years before you?
there is always an alpha and omega in a pack, you dont have to roll over though. just facts!

M

montecarlo11

ok2bclever,
i saw the info that travler put up. dont see how money or volume shows who is number one.
I cant wait to see your spin on this one but your reaching again. Both UPS and the USPS have been around more than 70 years before FEDEX and DHL.
tell you what, go to the UPS fact sheet and look at how much revenue and volume come from your ground operations, ok what % would that be??
please remember you now have competition for those packages that you didnt have before. cant wait to see how much more volume has been lost to Fedex ground. Fedex Express is by far and away the largest express shipper in the world even though they had to compete with UPS since day one. Now UPS has to compete with FEDEX GROUND in the same way. yea do they have alot of catching up to to? sure, but the difference is that Fedex ground has already started taking market share. The ground market is much easier to expand than the express market. Another issue that UPS has is that Fedex ground operating cost are lower than UPS, so they can charge less and still make more money per pkg. with that advantage that Fedex has now they can come down in price to match UPS in the express market to get back any customers who switched over to UPS to sacrifice service for a cheaper price.
Dont take my word for it though, you will be able to watch for yourself.

M

montecarlo11

ok2bclever,
just wondering, if an auto maker (lets say GM) sell more units than any other car company in the United States, would that make them number 1 in the world?? would you say they put out the best products?
IF im getting your theory correct, seeing that more than 70% of your volume and revenue comes from ground shipments and you want to base your opinion on $$ where do you see UPS in lets say 15 years. Fedex express is the largest global and domestic express shipper already. and in less than 5 years they have taken market share from your bread and butter ground service. what % of ground pkgs do you see lost to Fedex ground in the next 5?? and oh yea, did I tell you that FEDEX is ranked number 1 by fortune, being matched up head to head with its competition?? your right, not buy $$ or ground volume, but by service, After all isnt that what our customers are interested in. the best product for there money. lets wait for June 23 to see how much more volume and $$ FEDEX made over last year. were hiring over here and adding routes in all companies while you are cutting routes trying to save money. If thats not a red flag what is?

M

montecarlo11

speed,
although weak, i respect that you have nothing elese to bring to the table

W

worldwide

monte,

Still waiting for the "facts" from the Fortune article you mentioned. You must have them, correct? I mean, you would not post something inaccurate would you?

BTW, the power pad that is rolling out next year with Fedex sounds just like that litte old thing that UPS has been using for about 10 years-the DIAD.

"It's expected to cut paperwork handled by FedEx administrators because customers can sign their names directly onto the PowerPad screen instead of paper bar-coded sheets."

Wow, cutting edge technology there--glad Fedex figured it out 10 years after UPS.

Another fine showing by the Fedex #11 car today. 43 laps completed. Every day is race day, indeed.

I

ironylife

its so simple....as all good ideas are. Im surprised that my fellow upsers havent heard any info on it. It has nothing to do with technology, we already spend over a billion dollars on that a year. Im just going by what selected management has decided to leak to us. I guarantee that you will know about this soon enough. It will cut into your profits just as our overnite deal will cut into fedex freight profit....which is about the only good thing fedex has going for itself. who cares about ground...thats a timebomb ready to go off. how cheap is fedex corp...charging a monthly fee for some of their ground drivers to use their uniforms.

M

montecarlo11

worldwide,
do me a favor, you post the article for everyone to read. IF you have read it you will see that there are nothing but facts there.

also, please read the article on the powerpad again,
that has been out in test markets for awhile and will be available this fall, not next year. (spin zone alert) IF you read the article again you will also see that The PowerPad runs on the Microsoft Pocket PC operating system and includes Bluetooth and GPRS technology for wireless transmission of shipping data.

isnt that what i read UPS is having a hard time with?? getting the WiFi to work with the bluetooth technology?? you get me the FORTUNE article and I will get you that article. fair enough??

also please look at the date of the article
FedEx, Motorola Building Business PDA
November 26, 2002 | InformationWeek

little behind the times wouldnt you agree seeing this is still in the early phases of your system?

I think there is alot to be said that the tracking equipment that was designed 15 years ago, although software has been changed, still out performs the 5th generation DIAD. all that money that UPS could have saved if they only could get it right the first time.

W

wily_old_vet

Monte-Just remember who created the ground market that you are now working in. When I started at UPS in '73 we were not a 50 state company. Because of post office opposition as well as others with a vested interest in keeping us out we had to win our way into each state with Texas being the last (and hardest) of the contigous 48 states. Now you and DHL can coem in with no opposition and offer your services. You should be saying thank you.

M

montecarlo11

worldwide,
for you, im sure Fedex can help them with that WiFi problem if UPS askes nicely
June 9, 2005 6:13pm
www.wi-fiplanet.com
Advertisement

Parcel delivery service UPS is rolling out a major new technology initiative, with Wi-Fi as a central feature.

The fourth generation of UPS's Delivery Information Acquisition Device, or DIAD, hit the streets in April. It is slated to be deployed globally by 2008, eventually taking up residence on some 100,000 handheld wireless devices. DIAD will support four different wireless technologies including Wi-Fi, GPRS, CDMA and Bluetooth.

The Wi-Fi capability will speed the processing of packages and make it possible for drivers and dispatchers to make important last-minute changes, according to Donna Barrett, a technology spokesperson at UPS.

"We put Wi-Fi in there because we are in the process of deploying Wi-Fi networks in our package centers, which are the facilities our drivers work out of," she explained.

In those centers, DIAD utilizes Wi-Fi in order to download delivery manifests right up to the moment when the truck leaves the dock. That's a significant step up in terms of efficiency. "Without Wi-Fi you were limited to doing a batch download overnight. The drivers would plug their DIADs into a bay to charge their batteries, and the delivery schedule was batch downloaded to the DIAD at that time," said Barrett.

With the Wi-Fi link, "you can have last-minute customer changes and requests. You can have last-minute packages that come in that require changes in what is loaded onto what truck, in order to be sure you are optimizing every driver's delivery route."

When an organization as big as UPS integrates Wi-Fi into its chief technology platform, analysts sit up and take notice. With an implementation of this magnitude, "the scenarios and concepts that folks have been dreaming about for years are now a reality," said Jupiter Research senior analyst Julie Ask.

It's not just that UPS is big. The deployment also has raised eyebrows because UPS is different. This kind of Wi-Fi usage takes the technology beyond the more commonly recognized use of Wi-Fi by corporate road warriors and students in Starbucks.

"This is a good high-profile deployment for the Wi-Fi industry, but also another example of how certain verticals -- with non-office environments and the need for mobility -- can utilize this technology very well," said Jupiter Research associate Ina Sebastian. "One of the advantages and decision factors in these settings is that the benefits of deployment can be quantified more easily, which is something that companies with WLANs in the office tend to find difficult.

"In one of our recent enterprise executive surveys we asked how companies measure the success of their deployments. Seventy-five percent of companies with a WLAN chose 'increased employee productivity and 53 percent chose 'improved employee satisfaction,' compared to only 31 percent that calculate in terms of ROI."

If UPS can move more packages, save employee time, use less gas and so forth, it becomes possible to associate real financial savings with the use of Wi-Fi.

Still, the UPS rollout is a complex endeavor, and there have been challenges to overcome. Engineers for example wanted to have Bluetooth integrated into the system, in order to scan and track passages. That information is then forwarded via Wi-Fi to a main terminal.

The problem, said Barrett, is that Bluetooth and Wi-Fi can experience interference due to spectrum overlap. To overcome the issue, UPS designers wrote software that stops Bluetooth and Wi-Fi from working simultaneously: Essentially, the two technologies swap blocks of time so that they do not cross paths when functioning side by side.

That being said, Barrett is more than ready to declare that Wi-Fi technical virtues at this point far outweigh such minor limitations.

"Because of our service commitment to our customers, out networks have to be operational virtually 24-by-7, which means the technology has to be stable, and for our applications Wi-Fi has been stellar, as has Bluetooth," she said. "No technology is a panacea, but if you understand your application and you define the scope of it, you can find the technology that fits. [With Wi-Fi], it works. It's reliable. It's robust. You can count on it, even in UPS, where the scope and scale of things is pretty daunting."

M

montecarlo11

hello wily, ,
sorry i didnt have a chance to say goodnight to everyone in the chat room last night. I was reading emails and got cought up in something. im sorry, didnt mean to be rude to you and everyone elese on last night. I will say thank you even though ive never picked up or delivered a ground package in my 12 years at Fedex express. thank you..

wily, check your spelling, its a tuff crowd. dont wanna be a dummy like me do ya?

M

montecarlo11

worldwide,
ask Donna Barrett, the technology spokesperson at UPS to contact Winn Stephenson, senior vice president of IT Development for FedEx Services and ask him how Fedex got it done a few years ago. UPS should spend some more money on smarter engineers. The ones they have now probably spell like me huh?

O

ok2bclever

Yep monte, you've been "cought" spinning fedex adverts as facts here quite a bit.

Don't worry though you are not aloan,

Youre a debt.
thumbsup.gif

You seem fixated on the ground like that part shouldn't count or something.

Perhaps, some day if those companies you bought and pretend are really and truly fedex (you know, "not air" and "homely" or whatever) make a profit you might start considering ground to count.

Course, they may never get to that level so it will probably be a mute point.

You are right that because your groundling divisions don't have much market share that they should be able to improve that, albeit only temporarily, but that doesn't have anything to do with profit or staying power.

We have a local guy called "two men and a truck" that took some market share away from us for a while too.

I bet if you could think of another name for a fourth (ooops, sorry about using that word as I know how touchy you are about it) company division you would probably buy him out.

Ummm, DHL has been around a lot longer than you seem to know about.

Perhaps you are narrowing down the parameters to what you want like, just here in the USA or something or perhaps you just don't know enough.

Gee, I don't know, revenue, total package volume, number of customers, yeah, those would be strange yardsticks to use to determine who is number one when you have can have a handful of guys at some rag make the call in your favor instead.

How weak.

Tell you what, UPS will continue to take the revenue and profit to the bank and deposit it and you can try taking some magazine poll opinions to the bank and try to pay off some of that debt.
biggrin.gif

You have been wrong before on this issue, but I will correct you again.

We had ground competition long long before fedex and far far tougher.

We went up against the US Mail when it was an integral part of the government and did not have to post a profit (well ok, you have been doing that bit about going in debt which is kind of sort of like not making a profit, but still . . .) and had literal monopolies where we couldn't even drive a locked truck through many states.

We are here stronger than ever and frankly, compared to that fedex is more like that two men and a truck I mentioned earlier.

monte, I have to feel sorry for a fedex guy so addicted to brown envy that he lives his free time on a UPS board.

There is help for you.

You could go see a shrink or enter the part-time UPS workforce, I hear we are hiring.
cool.gif