Net Neutrality

vantexan

The Republicans have never been into privacy that I can remember.
Remember, they want to know what you are doing in your bedroom.
VPN's, End to end encryption and other privacy tools will become very prevalent and make a few billionaires.
Looking at your avatar I can assure you I don't want to know what you do in your bedroom!

Sportello

The Republicans have never been into privacy that I can remember.
Remember, they want to know what you are doing in your bedroom.
VPN's, End to end encryption and other privacy tools will become very prevalent and make a few billionaires.

Or get you a visit from the FBI

Last edited by a moderator:

cheryl

I started this.
Staff member
Here's how to contact the FCC with your thoughts on net neutrality:

By phone:

1-888-225-5322
  • press 1, then 4, then 2, then 0
  • say that you wish to file comments concerning the FCC Chairman’s plan to end net neutrality
On the web:
  • ECFS
  • Under Proceedings, enter 14-28 and 17-108
Suggested script:

It's my understanding that the FCC Chairman intends to reverse net neutrality rules and put big Internet Service Providers in charge of the internet. I am firmly against this action.

I believe that these ISPs will operate solely in their own interests and not in the interests of what is best for the American public. In the past 10 years, broadband companies have been guilty of: deliberately throttling internet traffic, squeezing customers with arbitrary data caps, misleading consumers about the meaning of “unlimited” internet, giving privileged treatment to companies they own, strong-arming cities to prevent them from giving their residents high-speed internet, and avoiding real competition at all costs. Consumers, small businesses, and all Americans deserve an open internet.

So to restate my position: I am against the chairman's plan to reverse the net neutrality rules. I believe doing so will destroy a vital engine for innovation, growth, and communication.

BrownArmy

Appeals court declines to reconsider net neutrality decision - Jurist

The US Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit [official website] said on Monday that it will not reconsider its ruling to uphold the government's "net neutrality" rules [fact sheet, PDF] that require internet providers to treat all online traffic equally.

That's honestly very bad.

It's not clear to me what the argument against 'net neutrality' is, unless it's "I'm pushing it because I'm being paid", etc.

Welcome to the Trumpalooza!

BrownArmy

Yet you felt you had to reply anyway just so you could post "Trumpalooza!"?...

Not really.

'Trumpalooza' refers to the Trump administration installing figureheads in multiple agencies who are almost to an appointment opposed to the agencies they've been appointed to.

This FCC guy used to be a lawyer for Verizon.

Ok.

Except he's dismantling what I would think would be the FCC's mission.

We could have an amazing discussion about whether or not that's true, but it seems to me this new FCC guy is handing the keys to the internet providers, with nary a care about how that effects citizens.

Again, we can agree/disagree, but this FCC guy seems to be in the pocket of corporate America.

What is your opinion on his proposed changes to 'net neutrality'?

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Not really.

'Trumpalooza' refers to the Trump administration installing figureheads in multiple agencies who are almost to an appointment opposed to the agencies they've been appointed to.

This FCC guy used to be a lawyer for Verizon.

Ok.

Except he's dismantling what I would think would be the FCC's mission.

We could have an amazing discussion about whether or not that's true, but it seems to me this new FCC guy is handing the keys to the internet providers, with nary a care about how that effects citizens.

Again, we can agree/disagree, but this FCC guy seems to be in the pocket of corporate America.

What is your opinion on his proposed changes to 'net neutrality'?
I disagree ... Broadband providers need another way to reduce uncertainty.

BrownArmy

I disagree ... Broadband providers need another way to reduce uncertainty.

What uncertainty are you talking about?

A great way for broadband consumers to reduce uncertainty would be:

A simple rule that says, as a broadband provider, you can't charge more for Joe than you can for Jim.

(I know we all dislike taxes, but what if the guvment told you that you were going to have to pay more in taxes than I was, just because you're in Georgia and I'm in Massachusetts...allegedly)

Verizon is a business, yes, and they're making bank.

They get tax deferments, etc, but...they continue to charge all of us up the...

So, as a consumer, it's my responsibility to reduce Verizons' uncertainty?

Tell me how I'm not thinking about this in the correct way: I'm open to your argument.

I still think this new FCC guy is a...

Catatonic

Nine Lives
What uncertainty are you talking about?
This latest attempt of the businesses is but a first step to limit any uncertainties whether financial or control.
Ability to limit bandwidth will eliminate/reduce the need for peak use capacity.
There are many ways of reducing uncertainty ... which is what every business tries very hard to do.

BrownArmy

Break it down for him Hammer ...

Seriously, what am I missing?

I want the internet to come into my house just like the water that comes into my house.

I don't want the guvment to tell me what to do with my water, and I certainly don't want the guvment to tell me what to do with my internet, or more specifically, what I can or cant do with my internet, depending on my ISP.

This guy seems to be, again, giving the keys to the key-holders.

You're not concerned?

BrownArmy

This latest attempt of the businesses is but a first step to limit any uncertainties whether financial or control.
Ability to limit bandwidth will eliminate/reduce the need for peak use capacity.
There are many ways of reducing uncertainty ... which is what every business tries very hard to do.

OK.

Seems to me we're already there - it's the market.