Net Neutrality

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Seriously, what am I missing?

I want the internet to come into my house just like the water that comes into my house.

I don't want the guvment to tell me what to do with my water, and I certainly don't want the guvment to tell me what to do with my internet, or more specifically, what I can or cant do with my internet, depending on my ISP.

This guy seems to be, again, giving the keys to the key-holders.

You're not concerned?
Sure but I can't change it by ranting on the internet.
I write letters to my Congressman/Senator ... boring stuff like that.

cheryl

I started this.
Staff member
Net neutrality going down in flames as FCC votes to kill Title II rules - Arstechnica

The Federal Communications Commission voted 2-1 today to start the process of eliminating net neutrality rules and the classification of home and mobile Internet service providers as common carriers under Title II of the Communications Act.

The Notice of Proposed Rulemaking (NPRM) proposes eliminating the Title II classification and seeks comment on what, if anything, should replace the current net neutrality rules. But Chairman Ajit Pai is making no promises about reinstating the two-year-old net neutrality rules that forbid ISPs from blocking or throttling lawful Internet content, or prioritizing content in exchange for payment. Pai's proposal argues that throttling websites and applications might somehow help Internet users.

cheryl

I started this.
Staff member
This is a battle for the Internet's future.
FCC Chair Ajit Pai—a former Verizon lawyer—is about to let Comcast & Verizon slow the Internet to a crawl, and then force sites to pay for special "fast lanes". If he does, giant monopolies will control the Internet, forever. To stop him, we have to flood the FCC with comments, and get Congress to oppose Pai's plan.

Comcast, Verizon, and AT&T are trying to kill net neutrality, again.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
this is a major disaster! wheres the resistance?
There's been plenty of resistance, seems like this is the up-teenth time we've been through this. Sad thing is, the corporations are going to get what they want eventually. They'll just keep using their money to get politicians to propose this type of garbage over and over and over again until people stop paying attention, it will probably be this time to be honest.

Ya, I followed her link to email my representatives. I entered my phone number, they called me and autodialed my representatives phone numbers one by one as I complained to their little interns over the phone. Let's be honest though, it's an exercise in futility. I can go to opensecrets.org, type in their names, and see exactly how much the telecoms paid them for their vote. They've got an (R) by their name so they know they've got the election locked down where I'm at, my emails and calls are nothing but a small annoyance for their interns.

This is the state of politics in America.

rickyb

There's been plenty of resistance, seems like this is the up-teenth time we've been through this. Sad thing is, the corporations are going to get what they want eventually. They'll just keep using their money to get politicians to propose this type of garbage over and over and over again until people stop paying attention, it will probably be this time to be honest.

Ya, I followed her link to email by representatives. I entered my phone number, they called me and autodialed my representatives phone numbers one by one as I complained to their little interns over the phone. Let's be honest though, it's an exercise in futility. I can go to opensecrets.org, type in their names, and see exactly how much the telecoms paid them for their vote. They've got an (R) by their name so they know they've got the election locked down where I'm at, my emails and calls are nothing but a small annoyance for their interns.

This is the state of politics in America.
calling in works. i remember when obama tried to invade syria i believe and everyone called in and it didnt happen or something like that.

oldngray

nowhere special
The problem with "Net Neutrality" is nether side is very good for the consumer. It just switches which of the big companies get to make more money.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
dhdsqdd4jilywauyjcq4.jpg