Net Neutrality

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
R2U2Jvr.jpg

vantexan

This is a battle for the Internet's future.
FCC Chair Ajit Pai—a former Verizon lawyer—is about to let Comcast & Verizon slow the Internet to a crawl, and then force sites to pay for special "fast lanes". If he does, giant monopolies will control the Internet, forever. To stop him, we have to flood the FCC with comments, and get Congress to oppose Pai's plan.

Comcast, Verizon, and AT&T are trying to kill net neutrality, again.
Don't you think that if they screw up the internet for everyone there will be literally 100's of millions of angry voters come the next election? It's one of the main reasons Social Security isn't touched, politicians know what'll happen to them if they try.

vantexan

There's been plenty of resistance, seems like this is the up-teenth time we've been through this. Sad thing is, the corporations are going to get what they want eventually. They'll just keep using their money to get politicians to propose this type of garbage over and over and over again until people stop paying attention, it will probably be this time to be honest.

Ya, I followed her link to email my representatives. I entered my phone number, they called me and autodialed my representatives phone numbers one by one as I complained to their little interns over the phone. Let's be honest though, it's an exercise in futility. I can go to opensecrets.org, type in their names, and see exactly how much the telecoms paid them for their vote. They've got an (R) by their name so they know they've got the election locked down where I'm at, my emails and calls are nothing but a small annoyance for their interns.

This is the state of politics in America.
Are you enjoying this as much as I am? :devil3:

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
Don't you think that if they screw up the internet for everyone there will be literally 100's of millions of angry voters come the next election? It's one of the main reasons Social Security isn't touched, politicians know what'll happen to them if they try.
Well aren't you special.
Yes, Social Security is a great example of why we shouldn't worry about this. Everything is going great, no need to worry lol.

vantexan

Well aren't you special.
Yes, Social Security is a great example of why we shouldn't worry about this. Everything is going great, no need to worry lol.
Always the liberal twisting words. Who said it was going great? Haven't you ever heard SS being referred to as "the third rail of politics?" The thing is there's too much hyperbole concerning anything Trump and his administration does so before I see anything getting shot down I want to see both sides of the argument. Have only heard one side, and it borders on hysteria.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
Always the liberal twisting words. Who said it was going great? Haven't you ever heard SS being referred to as "the third rail of politics?" The thing is there's too much hyperbole concerning anything Trump and his administration does so before I see anything getting shot down I want to see both sides of the argument. Have only heard one side, and it borders on hysteria.
Everything is not about Trump.
This was an issue long before he took office.
TTKU.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
But the current issue concerns what his administration is doing, correct? Point of the thread I believe.
The thread already existed when a Trump presidency was just a twinkle in every comedians eye.

What in your mind is his administration doing differently then the republicans were doing before in regards to this issue? It's the SAME ISSUE OVER AND OVER. Jesus man it's not all about Trump. Your crush on him is getting annoying.

cheryl

I started this.
Staff member
Protecting the Open Internet - US News and World Report

U.S. News spoke with Stanford law professor Barbara van Schewick about net neutrality.

Q: What does net neutrality mean?

A: Net neutrality is a principle that has allowed the Internet to serve as a platform for free speech, innovation and economic growth. According to that principle, Internet service providers like Verizon or Comcast that connect us to the Internet should not control what happens on the Internet. That means that ISPs should not have the power to block or slow down websites, make some sites more attractive than others, or charge Internet companies fees to reach people faster.

Q: Why do we need net neutrality rules now? Hasn’t the Internet worked well without net neutrality rules?

A: Net neutrality rules preserve the open Internet as we know it. The principle of net neutrality was initially built into the technical architecture of the Internet. In the mid-1990s, however, technology emerged that allows ISPs to interfere with what happens on their networks. Since then, the Federal Communications Commission, the federal agency in charge of regulating the nation’s communications networks, has acted to protect this principle in various ways, creating a de-facto net neutrality regime in the U.S. As a result, innovation and online speech in the U.S. have continued to thrive with only a few instances of blocking or discrimination. By contrast, in countries where ISPs weren’t prohibited from doing so, ISPs have often used this new technology to block or slow down sites to increase their profits, manage their networks, or shut out unwanted content.

vantexan

U.S. News spoke with Stanford law professor Barbara van Schewick about net neutrality.

A: Net neutrality is a principle that has allowed the Internet to serve as a platform for free speech, innovation and economic growth. According to that principle, Internet service providers like Verizon or Comcast that connect us to the Internet should not control what happens on the Internet. That means that ISPs should not have the power to block or slow down websites, make some sites more attractive than others, or charge Internet companies fees to reach people faster.

Q: Why do we need net neutrality rules now? Hasn’t the Internet worked well without net neutrality rules?

A: Net neutrality rules preserve the open Internet as we know it. The principle of net neutrality was initially built into the technical architecture of the Internet. In the mid-1990s, however, technology emerged that allows ISPs to interfere with what happens on their networks. Since then, the Federal Communications Commission, the federal agency in charge of regulating the nation’s communications networks, has acted to protect this principle in various ways, creating a de-facto net neutrality regime in the U.S. As a result, innovation and online speech in the U.S. have continued to thrive with only a few instances of blocking or discrimination. By contrast, in countries where ISPs weren’t prohibited from doing so, ISPs have often used this new technology to block or slow down sites to increase their profits, manage their networks, or shut out unwanted content.
Customers can't turn to other ISP's?

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right

Fake. @Monkey Butt

oldngray

nowhere special

Since de facto things have been pretty much neutral anyway the problem with more regulation to prevent what companies "might" do is it is also associated with increased government control and government fees. Most internet providers were for net neutrality before they were against it. I expect them to find a way to do whatever they want either way.