Network down today, had to sheet stops old school

PPH_over_9000

Its ok….That was a scary day.

Dawg, every driver under like 5 years was having a panic attack aside from me and a few folks I kind of look towards as mentors.

The best thing anyone ever drilled into my head was that, at the very worst, UPS has you for 14hrs. Those 14hrs WILL end, even if you don't see any light at the end of the tunnel throughout the day.

qdg2

I am a feeder driver , but I know all about delivering on paper and pulling out a paper map to set up a car and deliver ,, while driving a stick ,, and wearing long pants , short hair , shaved and no tatts or a man bun ,,, tell 'em how hard we had it @rod ,
I had to wear a dress shirt and tie to my indoc first day. We had a pkg car with rows of seats and windows. Took a little ride to get the sights, sounds and smells of a pkg car.... We were expected to buy our own maps(Mapsco's) or city maps. Any sort of hydration was discouraged in the cab(plastic throwaway bottles didn't exist)(no loose objects). You could keep it in the 120 degree back.....Watched many a tatted folk wear long sleeves and pants in August....painful. You were expected to do your own planning etc. on your own time before start and on time departure.....even cold/new on an area(cover). Working off the clock was expected here. Demanded.

I had a clipboard fly out the door in a rainstorm...right into the full of water gutter......with no replacement. Those clipboard aluminum holders were pretty flimsy and crappy.....razor sharp too. Loved delivering bleeding and all sweaty......take a hundred swipes of paper towels from the locker room. Loved the trash cans they started mounting in the cab......would completely empty out at 55mph...littering the whole day. Soaked to the bone delivery days....they didn't issue us raincoats. You had to buy them. Pricey and didn't last a day. Getting soaked delivery notices to stick to wet surfaces....oddly....never had a an ojs ride on a rainy day....

UnionStrong

Sorry, but I don’t care anymore.
I had to wear a dress shirt and tie to my indoc first day. We had a pkg car with rows of seats and windows. Took a little ride to get the sights, sounds and smells of a pkg car.... We were expected to buy our own maps(Mapsco's) or city maps. Any sort of hydration was discouraged in the cab(plastic throwaway bottles didn't exist)(no loose objects). You could keep it in the 120 degree back.....Watched many a tatted folk wear long sleeves and pants in August....painful. You were expected to do your own planning etc. on your own time before start and on time departure.....even cold/new on an area(cover). Working off the clock was expected here. Demanded.

I had a clipboard fly out the door in a rainstorm...right into the full of water gutter......with no replacement. Those clipboard aluminum holders were pretty flimsy and crappy.....razor sharp too. Loved delivering bleeding and all sweaty......take a hundred swipes of paper towels from the locker room. Loved the trash cans they started mounting in the cab......would completely empty out at 55mph...littering the whole day. Soaked to the bone delivery days....they didn't issue us raincoats. You had to buy them. Pricey and didn't last a day. Getting soaked delivery notices to stick to wet surfaces....oddly....never had a an ojs ride on a rainy day....
Sounds like my training and first few years. I remember that package car with the seats and window on the side. I had a clip board fly out the door too on a route Lol. State map, blind on routes, hair high and tight, polishable shoes. Different world.

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
Then banging your knee on step if you slipped or catching your nut sack on the stick shift , getting splinters on the old wooden shelves in a P-600

pkgdriver

Sounds like my training and first few years. I remember that package car with the seats and window on the side. I had a clip board fly out the door too on a route Lol. State map, blind on routes, hair high and tight, polishable shoes. Different world.
Do you know blah blah blah route? No. Well you will know it after today. I will come out and meet you on the route later.🆗

R1wonder

If ya know the route it should be a walk in the park : I took pics of my day with my phone . All I need to know is my stops and how many boxes . I kept bugging the boss to let me leave . I wasn’t a pen and paper guy, but when I started we did that for sat air . We grabbed our work off the belt as it unloaded off the air plane ; wrote down the stop . No orion or edd . We had to scan it and type the address into the diad to deliver it .

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
If ya know the route it should be a walk in the park : I took pics of my day with my phone . All I need to know is my stops and how many boxes . I kept bugging the boss to let me leave . I wasn’t a pen and paper guy, but when I started we did that for sat air . We grabbed our work off the belt as it unloaded off the air plane ; wrote down the stop . No orion or edd . We had to scan it and type the address into the diad to deliver it .
I did Saturday Air once ,, the very first Saturday they started ,, gave us breakfast and thanked us for coming in 6 punch ,, they had no plan !! (Surprise surprise ) Then Monday they said we all sucked ,, some had a dodge mini van with a radio( two way ). I took my p600 and had to call them every hr ,,,, nevah again !!

Johney

Then banging your knee on step if you slipped or catching your nut sack on the stick shift , getting splinters on the old wooden shelves in a P-600
I remember those having the clutch and brake pedal coming out of the floor and if you were going down hill you could cut the key off,pump the gas pedal a few times and hit the key and it would back-fire that sounded like a shotgun going off. Man did I scare some of the locals in the hood with that.

UnionStrong

Sorry, but I don’t care anymore.
I remember those having the clutch and brake pedal coming out of the floor and if you were going down hill you could cut the key off,pump the gas pedal a few times and hit the key and it would back-fire that sounded like a shotgun going off. Man did I scare some of the locals in the hood with that.
I blew up a few mufflers doing that. Lol I would lmao scaring people. Mufflers would split eventually 🤣 Someone called and said the UPS driver was throwing firecrackers out of the truck once! It was good at clearing dogs out of the area too Lol.