Never cross a strike line. Never handle struck goods.

J

JonFrum

With several management posters praising the National Master Agreement, let's see what it actually says . . .

NATIONAL MASTER UNITED PARCEL SERVICE AGREEMENT
ARTICLE 9. PROTECTION OF RIGHTS

Section 1. Picket Line

It shall not be a violation of this Agreement and it shall not be cause for discharge or disciplinary action (including but not limited to the temporary or permanent replacement of any employee) in the event an employee refuses to enter upon any property involved in a primary labor dispute, or refuses to go through or work behind any primary picket line, including the primary picket line of Unions party to this Agreement, and including primary picket lines at the Employer's place of business, and the Employer shall not direct any employee to cross a primary picket line.

Section 2. Struck Goods
It shall not be a violation of this Agreement and it shall not be a cause for discharge or disciplinary action if any employee refuses to perform any service which his/her Employer undertakes to perform as an ally of an employer or person whose employees are on strike, and which service, but for such strikes, would be performed by the employees of the employer or person on strike.

Section 4.
The layover provisions of the applicable Supplemental Agreement, Rider or Addendum shall apply when the Employer knowingly dispatches a road driver to a terminal at which a primary picket line has been posted as a result of the exhaustion of the grievance procedure, or after proper notification of a picket line permitted by the collective bargaining agreement, or economic strikes occurring after the expiration of a collective bargaining agreement or to achieve a collective bargaining agreement.

TRANSLATION:
If Locals 705 and/or 710 set up primary picket lines, no member of the National Master bargaining unit can be required by UPS to cross those strike lines, or work behind those lines, or do work anywhere else that has been deliberately diverted from or bypassed those facilities on strike. This protection against discipline of any kind applies to all bargaining unit employees, even those who are not Teamster members.
- - - - -
Normally crossing a strike line also presents several safety hazards to the employee, his vehicle, and the possibility of hitting or running over a striker with your package car or feeder in all the confusion.

Typically the employee would notify his supervisor that a primary picket line is up and that he is invoking his contractually agreed-upon right not to cross. The supervisor may then send a management person to take over the vehicle and do the dirty work of crossing the line to make the delivery if he chooses
- - - - -
Labor Law says that in an Economic Strike, the employer can hire permanent replacement workers. Usually these "permanent" workers are let go as part of a negotiated back-to-work agreement to end the strike.

In an Unfair Labor Practice Strike, which I assume this one will be, the employer can only hire temporary replacement workers. When the strike is over, they all get the heave-ho automatically. This fact usually discourages temporary replacement workers once they find it out. In any event, attempting to use repacement workers usually doesn't work out very well because of the short duration, and the extensive training involved, all under very difficult circumstances.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

With several management posters praising the National Master Agreement, let's see what it actually says . . .

- - - - -
Normally crossing a strike line also presents several safety hazards to the employee, his vehicle, and the possibility of hitting or running over a striker with your package car or feeder in all the confusion.

I believe someone from 705 mentioned something about a baseball bat.

Typically the employee would notify his supervisor that a primary picket line is up and that he is invoking his contractually agreed-upon right not to cross. The supervisor may then send a management person to take over the vehicle and do the dirty work of crossing the line to make the delivery if he chooses

OK.
- - - - -
Labor Law says that in an Economic Strike, the employer can hire permanent replacement workers. Usually these "permanent" workers are let go as part of a negotiated back-to-work agreement to end the strike.

This appears to be the work stoppage that may be looming.

In an Unfair Labor Practice Strike, which I assume this one will be, the employer can only hire temporary replacement workers. When the strike is over, they all get the heave-ho automatically. This fact usually discourages temporary replacement workers once they find it out.

I don't think that this is the basis of the possible work stoppage.

In any event, attempting to use repacement workers usually doesn't work out very well because of the short duration, and the extensive training involved, all under very difficult circumstances.

Why do you think they pushed to have the DIADs and then PAS/EDD implemented? It is for, among many reasons, the purposes outlined above. Supposedly someone can pick up your DIAD, load EDD, and then go out and run your route. I know they could do that with mine as it is 95%.

tieguy

Banned

TRANSLATION:
If Locals 705 and/or 710 set up primary picket lines, no member of the National Master bargaining unit can be required by UPS to cross those strike lines, or work behind those lines, or do work anywhere else that has been deliberately diverted from or bypassed those facilities on strike. This protection against discipline of any kind applies to all bargaining unit employees, even those who are not Teamster members.
- - - - -

- - - - -

In an Unfair Labor Practice Strike, which I assume this one will be, the employer can only hire temporary replacement workers. When the strike is over, they all get the heave-ho automatically. This fact usually discourages temporary replacement workers once they find it out. In any event, attempting to use repacement workers usually doesn't work out very well because of the short duration, and the extensive training involved, all under very difficult circumstances.

here again anonymous posters should not have the right to start new threads. This guys again shows his arrogance in using this board.

here again anonymous posters should not have the right to start new threads. This guys again shows his arrogance in using this board.

I don`t think he is arrogant just because he posts anonymously. Some people who are registered user can be just as arrogant and have achieved record high postings of around 7007.

J

JonFrum

Why do you think they pushed to have the DIADs and then PAS/EDD implemented? It is for, among many reasons, the purposes outlined above. Supposedly someone can pick up your DIAD, load EDD, and then go out and run your route. I know they could do that with mine as it is 95%.

DIADs PAS and EDD are mostly for package tracking. The job of delivery driver is way to complicated for a replacement worker to learn in the few days or weeks that a strike may last, especially under such chaotic circumstances.

I believe someone from 705 mentioned something about a baseball bat.

That was not ment to be taken literally. It was a wise-crack response to a provocative quip.

J

JonFrum

Tie, you have been obsessed with my "annonymous" posting continuously since I began posting in 2006. As you well know, I am one of the few posters/readers that is not annonymous. I have, from the beginining, posted my real name, real Local, real worksite, real job, real email address, real years with the company and various other personal information on several occasions.

If you are focusing on the BrownCafe software which labels me "annonymous" whenever I post, then perhaps you should ask Cheryl to change the label to something neutral like "Guest"; something that doesn't keep triggering your delusional obsession.

P.S.
Why don't you tell everyone how many total posts you have made over the years criticizing what you consider to be my "annonymous" posting.

Bloodybrown

DIADs PAS and EDD are mostly for package tracking. The job of delivery driver is way to complicated for a replacement worker to learn in the few days or weeks that a strike may last, especially under such chaotic circumstances.

You are ignorant of this. We train many a seasonal driver every summer and peak season. It is much easier than prior to the implementation of PAS and EDD. It takes most seasonals less than a week to be able to deliver on there own as long as they can drive a package car safely. There are always exceptions but most can do it if they have a good work ethic.( you are not a driver correct? you must not be to close to package operations to make that type of statement.)

That was not ment to be taken literally. It was a wise-crack response to a provocative quip.

Was it ?......I was in Chicago in 97, I saw those tactics used throughout the strike, we had to put 2 people on the car as a result. I know someone that was killed in another District.

tieguy

Banned
Tie, you have been obsessed with my "annonymous" posting continuously since I began posting in 2006. As you well know, I am one of the few posters/readers that is not annonymous. I have, from the beginining, posted my real name, real Local, real worksite, real job, real email address, real years with the company and various other personal information on several occasions.

If you are focusing on the BrownCafe software which labels me "annonymous" whenever I post, then perhaps you should ask Cheryl to change the label to something neutral like "Guest"; something that doesn't keep triggering your delusional obsession.

P.S.
Why don't you tell everyone how many total posts you have made over the years criticizing what you consider to be my "annonymous" posting.

Anyone who posts here as much as you do should support the site by joining it. the fact you don't shows your disrespect for the site.

Anyone who posts here as much as you do should support the site by joining it. the fact you don't shows your disrespect for the site.

Since it`s Cheryl`s site I think we should let her decide if shes disrespected and when she lets us know then we`ll stick up for her.

satellitedriver

I only had 2 days training in 1986. Paper, sig required for every stop, no more than two send agains allowed. Swing/cover driving with no maps.
Being a driver is not that huge of a mental effort. PAS/ EDD has flaws, but it makes delivering easy for a motivated newbie.

drewed

Shankman
Since it`s Cheryl`s site I think we should let her decide if shes disrespected and when she lets us know then we`ll stick up for her.

well, if youre gonna make the effort to post here for years, i think its about time spend the 2 mins and register, COME JOIN THE COMMUNITY- that way we can PM, rep, and follow better bc some one could take an ano name and randomly use it

MonavieLeaker

Bringin Teh_Lulz

I dont have a problem with it Jon has been here for a while and is really knowledegeable about the contract and is trying to inform people who might not know whats going on with some very good information

tieguy

Banned

Cheryl is a sweetheart and is not going to make a big deal out of it.

However the rest of us should realize that she puts a lot of work into this site and should show our support for her hard work by registering and by clicking on the advertising links. Its also possible that a bigger membership base may help influence some better advertising opportunities which is how she pays for this site.

Its a shame I have to explain the importance of registering to you folks when your feelings of gratitude should be enough.

Meanwhile back at 705 headquarters rumors are running wild that some of the voters, voting for the strike may have been anonymous. No big deal replied the toothless wonder after all we enjoyed their input.

Last edited:

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
I dont have a problem with it Jon has been here for a while and is really knowledegeable about the contract and is trying to inform people who might not know whats going on with some very good information

I think you just summed up Tie's problem with Jon :happy-very:

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member

I actually agree with Tie
You should sign in as a member before you can start threads.
Then you are welcome to the community.
A lot of these lately !

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member

If he's been here awhile, there's no reason he can't sign in as a member.
He can be Jim Hoffa for all I care, grab a username and join the discussions like us.
It's about as fair as a drive-by-shooting, at least show up in front of me so I can see your reputation.:peaceful: Then shoot me :wink2: