New 18 second rule for bulkhead door.

Cementups

Box Monkey
Drivers get fired for this all the time around here and the continue to do it.

Don't do it. You're falsifying by hiding your lateness and changing your posted start time. Major integrity issue.

Oh I agree. The ground I have to stand on lately though is the same when I show up for my "8:30 start time" at 8:35. Then a sup tries to tell me I am late to which I remind them that the last bid sheet I signed was for an 8:50 start time and they are just allowing me to start earlier. They usually drop it that quick.

S

selfcancelsignal

I actually did this too
I've thought about it, but didn't actually do it. Pretty sure I was within :18 all or most of the time too. I've started working on securing the vehicle. Something I'm 50/50 at best at. Really bad in my resi area as the stops aren't that far from the PC.

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
When management calls you in the office over this or some other equally stupid metric LAUGH about it and remind management they are paying you 33 bucks an hour to discuss some drivel that dosent mean anything. The thought of someone being scared of being called in the office over this garbage is absurd.

Harry Manback

Robot Extraordinaire
If they cant post anything that can be used for discipline...and they post everyone's ORION and Telematics compliance numbers...it would follow that those numbers cant be used for discipline.

What about those drivers whose ORION is so broken, they automatically get switched back to RDO?

Is it fair for the company to demand an 85% compliance from one driver and a "do the best you can" from another?

Can the company pursue progressive discipline against driver "A" for failing to work as directed while driver "B" is allowed to do their best?

Sent using a Potato

Bottom rung

What about those drivers whose ORION is so broken, they automatically get switched back to RDO?

Is it fair for the company to demand an 85% compliance from one driver and a "do the best you can" from another?

Can the company pursue progressive discipline against driver "A" for failing to work as directed while driver "B" is allowed to do their best?

Sent using a Potato
Winner! Winner! I'd love to hear an answer from both sides on this.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
If you know that you are going to have to bag the package why can't you grab a bag while you are getting the package and then close the BH door? Why does the door have to remain open if you are no longer in the cargo area?

Because I am a big guy, and the cab is kind of cramped for shaking out a DR bag if the bulkhead door is closed. Its just a lot easier to do if I stand with one foot on either side of the open bulkhead door. I have been at this job for 27 years, that is always how I have done it, and I am not about to change all that just because some IE dipschitt in Atlanta pulled an "18 second" metric out of his ass and proclaimed it to be our new Flavor Of The Month. Plus...by the time I get the DR bag shaken out there is usually a dog or two up in the cab anyway.

soberups

You have way too many years left to have this kind of attitude.
No...he has way too many years left to not have this kind of attitude.

The job is hard enough without getting all wound up about generating a bunch of irrelevant metrics. The way to keep from going insane around here is to narrow your focus and take care of the stuff (like service and safety) that actually matters so that your management team can continue taking care of the stuff that doesn't.

Indecisi0n

Because I am a big guy, and the cab is kind of cramped for shaking out a DR bag if the bulkhead door is closed. Its just a lot easier to do if I stand with one foot on either side of the open bulkhead door. I have been at this job for 27 years, that is always how I have done it, and I am not about to change all that just because some IE dipschitt in Atlanta pulled an "18 second" metric out of his ass and proclaimed it to be our new Flavor Of The Month. Plus...by the time I get the DR bag shaken out there is usually a dog or two up in the cab anyway.
Big how?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I know that I could easily shave 30-60 minutes off of your on road time.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I can think of 120 reasons.........

Each degree of temperature in the back of the truck.

Its probably closer to 140 degrees in the summer around here, thats another reason I leave it open during a stop. I was trained as a new driver that as long as I had the bulkhead door in my sight range that it was safe to leave open. I was originally trained 31 years ago to just close the bulkhead door going to and from the area, to "save time". I run scratch everyday and easily beat ORION's "solution" by a mile or two. And I take every second of lunch too, so it can be done. I don't worry about little things that don't make a bit of difference.

The Blackadder

Are you not amused?
We used to call it "massaging the load"---spending more time than needed in the cargo area.
Yep, they were always on us about wasting time in the back of the package car, that is out the window with Orion as all I do is waste time in the back now.

But I have no doubt the tech geeks think it is no problem to get out a single package from the 5300 section for your 3rd stop.

iowa boy

But I have no doubt the tech geeks think it is no problem to get out a single package from the 5300 section for your 3rd stop.[/QUOTE]

These 'tech geeks' think that every package we have is an envelope or a one pound amazon box. In IE land, we don't deliver any bulk or multiple piece stops that fill the middle of the truck.

soberups

Whenever I get an OJS, I am always complimented on my methods and work pace. Its been at least 20 years since I have been questioned or harassed over my production. Is it possible that the 10 or 15 different management people who have ridden with and observed me during that time might know a little more than you?

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
Whenever I get an OJS, I am always complimented on my methods and work pace. Its been at least 20 years since I have been questioned or harassed over my production. Is it possible that the 10 or 15 different management people who have ridden with and observed me during that time might know a little more than you?

C'mon, Sober. You know damn well Dave is the very, very best driver in all of UPS.

Just imagine all the cut routes and laid-off drivers once he is tasked with shaving 30-60 minutes off every route. And, the cost savings.

soberups

I have overheard management questioning and discussing the 18 second metric with other drivers during the past week.

What I keep hearing...is something to the effect of "if you know you are going to be back there for more than 18 seconds per package, go ahead and shut the bulkhead door and then reopen it again so that it doesn't show up on the report."

I have no problem with UPS developing new technology or new procedures in order to be more efficient. That's what companies have to do in order to stay competitive. I am perfectly willing to make changes for the purpose of doing my job better.....but I am not willing to jump through stupid hoops for no reason other than to keep from "showing up on a report."

soberups

C'mon, Sober. You know damn well Dave is the very, very best driver in all of UPS.

Just imagine all the cut routes and laid-off drivers once he is tasked with shaving 30-60 minutes off every route. And, the cost savings.
I would love to be a fly on the wall and watch Dave try to navigate my route on a dark, foggy night. I would love to watch him trying figure out which unmarked driveway to use, and what to do about the 4 big slobbery dogs that jump up in the truck to greet him once he finds the right house. And I would really love to watch him walk funny for 3 hours and "hold it" while he searched in vain for a clean restroom instead of just peeing in the woods like a big boy.