New 18 second rule for bulkhead door.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I have been saying for some time now that any action we take to keep our names from showing up on one report will automatically cause them to appear on a different one.

Turns out I was wrong. Things have changed. Now....any action we take to keep our names from showing up on one report will automatically cause them to appear on two different ones.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
I have overheard management questioning and discussing the 18 second metric with other drivers during the past week.

What I keep hearing...is something to the effect of "if you know you are going to be back there for more than 18 seconds per package, go ahead and shut the bulkhead door and then reopen it again so that it doesn't show up on the report."

Showing up on a report, is the supervisors problem.

They just don't want to be confronted (and judged) by their superior.

Thats what pkg car management entails now days.... no real skill involved. :biggrin:

I have no problem with UPS developing new technology or new procedures in order to be more efficient. That's what companies have to do in order to stay competitive. I am perfectly willing to make changes for the purpose of doing my job better.....but I am not willing to jump through stupid hoops for no reason other than to keep from "showing up on a report."

Thats what I don't get.

The company (IE) comes up with some new telematics metric....

And drivers "buy" in to it, automatically thinking they can be disciplined for it.

The company, has a right to establish policies and procedures for the job.

But, to say it's subject to discipline.... then it requires collective bargaining with the IBT.

Period. End of story.

-Bug-

MC4YOU2

Wherever I see Trump, it smells like he's Putin.
I have overheard management questioning and discussing the 18 second metric with other drivers during the past week.

What I keep hearing...is something to the effect of "if you know you are going to be back there for more than 18 seconds per package, go ahead and shut the bulkhead door and then reopen it again so that it doesn't show up on the report."

I have no problem with UPS developing new technology or new procedures in order to be more efficient. That's what companies have to do in order to stay competitive. I am perfectly willing to make changes for the purpose of doing my job better.....but I am not willing to jump through stupid hoops for no reason other than to keep from "showing up on a report."

Not to mention it's an integrity issue. If you're shutting the door knowingly trying to fool the system, that's a dishonesty charge waiting to happen. Best to just get on the report, if your doing what needs to be done.
Many of the metrics have a built in flaw that allows them to be fooled, but if a driver is caught fooling those; sitting on your buckled seat belt, completing a stop after you back a second time etc., it's just giving them the ammo to shoot you with.

UPSmechanicinblue

Not to mention it's an integrity issue. If you're shutting the door knowingly trying to fool the system, that's a dishonesty charge waiting to happen. Best to just get on the report, if your doing what needs to be done.
Many of the metrics have a built in flaw that allows them to be fooled, but if a driver is caught fooling those; sitting on your buckled seat belt, completing a stop after you back a second time etc., it's just giving them the ammo to shoot you with.

Speaking of integrity--- where did Mr integrity go? even though he was picked on people I still like reading his posts.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
Speaking of integrity--- where did Mr integrity go? even though he was picked on people I still like reading his posts.

1109gs3.jpg

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!

This is the start of UPS's downfall and it has been going on for awhile now.

The only thing that matters to UPS is that number on that piece of paper. They don't care what you have to do, just make sure you hit that number on a piece of paper.

Look at it this way. If you're in the back looking for that package, cannot find it in 18 seconds, what do you do?

If you go back to the bulkhead door, close it and reopen it, continue to search for the package, what has this accomplished?

It just added another couple of seconds to this stop. But UPS does not care. You met the number on a piece of paper. The door was not open for longer than 18 seconds even though it cost you an extra couple of seconds to close and reopen the door.

Same with the mileage. They don't care if you took an hour longer to do the job as long as your mileage was compliant with that number on a piece of paper.

Why do you think sups lie, cheat and steal. They have these same unrealistic numbers on a piece of paper that they have to meet also. The only way to meet them is to cheat.

Just like closing and reopening the door. You are cheating to meet a number metric.

We cannot be disciplined for not meeting their numbers, but their sups are fair game.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I would love to be a fly on the wall and watch Dave try to navigate my route on a dark, foggy night. I would love to watch him trying figure out which unmarked driveway to use, and what to do about the 4 big slobbery dogs that jump up in the truck to greet him once he finds the right house. And I would really love to watch him walk funny for 3 hours and "hold it" while he searched in vain for a clean restroom instead of just peeing in the woods like a big boy.

I have said that I "pee in the woods like a big boy" when I am on a country run.

The dogs belong outside of the pkg car. That is where you are losing most of your time.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Closing the BH door while still in the cargo area is an integrity issue??

MC4YOU2

This is the start of UPS's downfall and it has been going on for awhile now.

The only thing that matters to UPS is that number on that piece of paper. They don't care what you have to do, just make sure you hit that number on a piece of paper.

Look at it this way. If you're in the back looking for that package, cannot find it in 18 seconds, what do you do?

If you go back to the bulkhead door, close it and reopen it, continue to search for the package, what has this accomplished?

It just added another couple of seconds to this stop. But UPS does not care. You met the number on a piece of paper. The door was not open for longer than 18 seconds even though it cost you an extra couple of seconds to close and reopen the door.

Same with the mileage. They don't care if you took an hour longer to do the job as long as your mileage was compliant with that number on a piece of paper.

Why do you think sups lie, cheat and steal. They have these same unrealistic numbers on a piece of paper that they have to meet also. The only way to meet them is to cheat.

Just like closing and reopening the door. You are cheating to meet a number metric.

We cannot be disciplined for not meeting their numbers, but their sups are fair game.

It is reminiscent of the VA taking vets off their appointment book to meet the regulation to qualify their office staff for taxpayer bonuses. The ends always justify the means, regardless of collateral damage.

porkwagon

I'm on board with shaving as much time off of being in the package compartment, but I simply will not take the time to shut the door whilst trying to unearth the buried box. I will limit the time looking for a package. While looking for one, I will line up the next five stops or so, and or look at every box on the shelf as we are instructed to go through the entire load and message all misloads by 2pm.

Foamer Pyle

That is such a ridiculous metric.
There is no way that having a bulkhead door open for 19 seconds proves anything but utter ignorance from IE geeks in Atlanta.
All it does is provide a false sense of urgency that the job already provides in a whole.
I will gladly bottom myself out on that report daily while still providing service and being a "scratch" driver.
I am 52 years old, if they want to push me, we can talk about age discrimination... leave me alone!

UnconTROLLed

perfection
The reports show an amount of time alloted to "open door", for a full day, and then your "open door" time against that. So far I've been over. To my knowledge, it is NOT strictly measured by how many times your bulkhead is open over 18 seconds.

I'm not sure how to be under except for sorting breaks and lunches...

UnconTROLLed

perfection
The four second rule is the same, from when you start the vehicle to moving, it's supposed to be four seconds. The reports show a total allowance and then your total time.

MC4YOU2

How about looking for the lost pkg for only 18 seconds, then if not found, shut the door and drive to the next stop. If they bitch, just point to your perfect metric compliance.

MC4YOU2

I know what it means.

I am having a hard time seeing how it applies in this situation.

Ok, then, if your intent is just to stay off the list using deception. UPS sups are famous for giving implied permission to save their ass from the Monday morning call.