New 18 second rule for bulkhead door.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
It doesnt matter IMO its just one more thing for people to stress over if they buy into it.
Thanks to people on here who are much smarter than me, I worry about two things. 1. Working safe and 2. going home. Had a tail today. They are not taught well how to do a good tail. Maybe that could be my new job, LOL. As I immediately saw them. I didnt change a thing, and I got rave reviews. But I know one screw up and they would love to can me. One handrail not used, one not looking over your shoulder pulling way, one no hazard lights, no handbrake, no horn use, they really got to dig. but be assured, when they want you gone, they will find something.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Had a tail today. They are not taught well how to do a good tail. Maybe that could be my new job, LOL. As I immediately saw them. I didnt change a thing, and I got rave reviews.

Did you do like we do and send a group text message to the cellphone of every driver in your loop with a description and current location of the vehicle that was tailing you?

soberups

Here's an idea: we already have keyless entry in the trucks. Why not just connect the keyless system to a timer that automatically closes the door 17.9 seconds after it had been opened? It's a perfect solution....the driver can just do his job without being burdened by additional stupid compliance metrics, and UPS management will be able to print out millions of pages of reports every day showing the 17.9 second metric that they are so desperate to see.

bumped

It doesn't matter. I just do as I'm told. About 5 years ago I was on an industrial route. Management was on me about backs and not to back. So, I don't back. I cart all the packages to the door from the road/driveways. I completed 32 of the 84 business stops I had that day before my pickups started. I messaged in I would need help getting my business off or they would be missed. I have never been told since that day not to back.

Like everything at UPS, each idea is taken to the extreme. If this issue comes to me I'll have to adjust. Who knows, maybe I'll just walk around to the rear door every stop.

soberups

Ok, but now you are stealing time with two extra door motions trying to fool telematics .
If they are threatening discipline for keeping the door open for longer than 18 seconds, then you have every right to close it in order to keep from showing up on the report. They cant have it both ways.

'Lord Brown's bidding'

I wonder about ya'll's management teams sometimes.

Even when discussing backs we are always told, "We know you cannot eliminate all backs. We know there are times you'll park fine, and someone else will come along and block your exit route." The issue comes when you have people backing up 500 ft in a residential area (provided that has been verified; we know the system can have its glitches), or someone backing up to a dock for two envelopes, which is discovered in a ride along, perhaps when the annual space-and-visibility happens.

I haven't heard anything about this report, but the vast majority of time if I am going for a package it takes a lot less than 18 seconds. From my experiences with the other reports, if you aren't excessively on the list, nothing is said. The methods we are trained in should keep having the bulkhead door open long down to minimum. Now they just have the means to see who actually is following the methods.

Some of ya'll got it bad.

P.S.At the very beginning, I was told telematics can track when the door is opened, and for how long, even when the truck is off. They just haven't really used that, except for BH door-open-while-moving events. However, it has been used to catch guys who, for instance, keep packages in their cab to deliver (how can you make 10 deliveries and never open the door?)

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Did you do like we do and send a group text message to the cellphone of every driver in your loop with a description and current location of the vehicle that was tailing you?
No but they were sent to me. I just never look at my phone while I am working. They hate that about me. I never look at my phone, lunch and breaks thats it. He actually asked me if I got a msg about him being out there, I said let me go look. It appears I have a msg and a phone call, but I still am not going to look, coz I am not on break, you are just slowin me down.

margaritaville

Its not like i want to be back there. Having a :censored2:ty load is the worst part of driving. Should punish loaders not driver if they are back there too long. By punish i mean move them to a different position if they suck at loading.

Its not like i want to be back there. Having a :censored2:ty load is the worst part of driving. Should punish loaders not driver if they are back there too long. By punish i mean move them to a different position if they suck at loading.
A lot of preloaders may feel that moving them to another position other than loading would be a reward.