New blood pressure guidelines DOT

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
If you're going to do that then you'll have to demand that everything that can harm you be taken away. No more alcohol, cigarettes, high fructose corn syrup, processed meat high in fat and carcinogens, etc. You can't put the onus on just the people using the products as there's very little that's affordable for a lot of people that is also healthy. Can't say you shouldn't eat that but we can make a profit if you do.

Adults pick and choose what they put into their bodies. If you want to jam your body with garbage, fine by me. Pay the price.

vantexan

Adults pick and choose what they put into their bodies. If you want to jam your body with garbage, fine by me. Pay the price.
Yes, and if you make enough money you can pay the price. At least half the population of the U.S. either can't afford to eat healthy in the U.S. or would struggle financially to do so regularly. A few years ago I was reading how in a popular expat destination in Guatemala $10 would buy a week's worth of fresh produce for a couple. Out of curiosity I went to Wal-Mart to price veggies. Saw a nice looking yellow bell pepper. Price: $1.97. And Wal-Mart is considered an affordable option. On top of that Guatemala has year'round growing in rich volcanic soil. A lot of our produce gets picked before ripe to get it to market. Not so there. To get the equivalent in the States you have to go to farmer's markets where they often charge a premium for "organic."

Guatemala is just one example. Saturday here in Kutaisi, Georgia I walked through row after row of beautiful fresh produce in the local bazaar. Take the produce section of about 15-20 U.S. supermarkets, throw in tons of fresh cheese, homemade condiments, spices, honey and jams, bread, that's the bazaar here. And very affordable. Until the U.S. gets back to the kind of lifestyle many of the so called :censored2:holes take for granted food wise you'll see plenty of diabetes and heart disease. The processed food industry isn't healthy, and healthy in the U.S. comes at a price.

Oldfart

Many people suffer from high blood pressure despite healthy eating and a rigorous exercise program. It can be hereditary. I figured you would know that, you THINK you know everything else.

59 Dano

Yes, and if you make enough money you can pay the price. At least half the population of the U.S. either can't afford to eat healthy in the U.S. or would struggle financially to do so regularly. A few years ago I was reading how in a popular expat destination in Guatemala $10 would buy a week's worth of fresh produce for a couple. Out of curiosity I went to Wal-Mart to price veggies. Saw a nice looking yellow bell pepper. Price: $1.97. And Wal-Mart is considered an affordable option.

I can go to the nearest supermarket get a pound of quinoa for $6, sweet potato for less than a buck, two pounds of pinto beans for a little more than a buck-fifty, apples for as little as 40 cents each depending on type, a pound of broccoli crowns for less than $2, and a banana for 30 cents.

A great healthy meal from that at a cost of $3. People make excuses.

59 Dano

Many people suffer from high blood pressure despite healthy eating and a rigorous exercise program. It can be hereditary. I figured you would know that, you THINK you know everything else.

Yeah, there are exceptions that illustrate the rule. Thanks for pointing the relatively few instances for the handful of people who were unaware.

It will be fine

Yes, and if you make enough money you can pay the price. At least half the population of the U.S. either can't afford to eat healthy in the U.S. or would struggle financially to do so regularly. A few years ago I was reading how in a popular expat destination in Guatemala $10 would buy a week's worth of fresh produce for a couple. Out of curiosity I went to Wal-Mart to price veggies. Saw a nice looking yellow bell pepper. Price: $1.97. And Wal-Mart is considered an affordable option. On top of that Guatemala has year'round growing in rich volcanic soil. A lot of our produce gets picked before ripe to get it to market. Not so there. To get the equivalent in the States you have to go to farmer's markets where they often charge a premium for "organic."

Guatemala is just one example. Saturday here in Kutaisi, Georgia I walked through row after row of beautiful fresh produce in the local bazaar. Take the produce section of about 15-20 U.S. supermarkets, throw in tons of fresh cheese, homemade condiments, spices, honey and jams, bread, that's the bazaar here. And very affordable. Until the U.S. gets back to the kind of lifestyle many of the so called :censored2:holes take for granted food wise you'll see plenty of diabetes and heart disease. The processed food industry isn't healthy, and healthy in the U.S. comes at a price.
That is up there for the most absurd things you've said here. Beans, rice and vegetables are cheaper than processed food. Buy the ingredients and you can make yourself a dozen burritos for what it costs to buy a package of frozen ones. No wonder you have a bad heart and diabetes, it's called cooking, try researching that.

vantexan

I can go to the nearest supermarket get a pound of quinoa for $6, sweet potato for less than a buck, two pounds of pinto beans for a little more than a buck-fifty, apples for as little as 40 cents each depending on type, a pound of broccoli crowns for less than $2, and a banana for 30 cents.

Throw in meat. Throw in eggs. Milk and cereal. Multiply by four for a family. Look at the cost of rent and utilities. Look at long hours, working two jobs for millions just to get by. Much easier to do on your salary. Don't say they should have better prepared themselves because better paying jobs are in the minority these days. And humping all day takes calories. People need protein. And time to prepare. Just too easy to pop a large Stouffer's lasagna in the oven. The fact is on the lower end of the pay range there's a much higher rate of diabetes and heart disease because of all the factors that shape people's choices. And then there are jobs that lead to higher rates of diabetes like over the road trucking. It's not as cut and dried as you represent it.

MAKAVELI

It's still cheaper to eat processed unhealthy food.

vantexan

That is up there for the most absurd things you've said here. Beans, rice and vegetables are cheaper than processed food. Buy the ingredients and you can make yourself a dozen burritos for what it costs to buy a package of frozen ones. No wonder you have a bad heart and diabetes, it's called cooking, try researching that.
Try working 12 hour days and come home to cook. I've had routes where I handled so much freight in high heat conditions that I came home exhausted every day. A number of times laying back on my bed with feet on floor and waking up in that position three hours later. There are plenty of people, tens of millions, who work two jobs just to get by and have time for little else. I didn't create the thriving fast food, convenience food industries. They happen for a reason.

It will be fine

Try working 12 hour days and come home to cook. I've had routes where I handled so much freight in high heat conditions that I came home exhausted every day. A number of times laying back on my bed with feet on floor and waking up in that position three hours later. There are plenty of people, tens of millions, who work two jobs just to get by and have time for little else. I didn't create the thriving fast food, convenience food industries. They happen for a reason.
12 hour days, like that's a lot, lol. I've done longer days behind the wheel and come home to do my actual job of keeping the company running. I still packed my lunch and made dinner. It's about choices, either eating healthy is important to you or it isn't. Cooking your own food is cheaper than eating processed garbage. Everything else is just an excuse for not caring about your own body, you only get one, might as well keep it tuned up.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

12 hour days, like that's a lot, lol. I've done longer days behind the wheel and come home to do my actual job of keeping the company running. I still packed my lunch and made dinner. It's about choices, either eating healthy is important to you or it isn't. Cooking your own food is cheaper than eating processed garbage. Everything else is just an excuse for not caring about your own body, you only get one, might as well keep it tuned up.

This is why I will prepare larger meals on the weekend so that I can heat up the leftovers during the week.

I agree with Van on this one-----there are nights that the last thing I want to do when I get home is cook and clean.

It will be fine

This is why I will prepare larger meals on the weekend so that I can heat up the leftovers during the week.

I agree with Van on this one-----there are nights that the last thing I want to do when I get home is cook and clean.
We definetly do meal prep for the week on Sundays. You'll have more energy throughout the week if you maintain a healthy weight and eat well. I'm just not buying that processed garbage is cheaper than real food, it's not.

MAKAVELI

We definetly do meal prep for the week on Sundays. You'll have more energy throughout the week if you maintain a healthy weight and eat well. I'm just not buying that processed garbage is cheaper than real food, it's not.
Processed food is cheaper because it's cheaper to produce. It's a proven fact. Americans love cheap and fast.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Processed garbage is not cheaper than real food; however, when you factor in prep time, the costs are fairly close to one another.

I can rationalize paying $4.99 for a footlong sub at Subway----I bring it home and pair it with pretzels and iced tea.

I treated myself to Five Guys for dinner last week. Spent $13.57 for a hamburger, fries and drink. They were good but it's certainly not something that I would want to do on a regular basis.

Yesterday I made 6 pork chops (Shake and Bake) and paired them with mashed potatoes and a vegetable. This was enough for 3 meals. Had one last night, will have another tonight and the last one on Tuesday.

vantexan

Behind the wheel? So what? Walk three miles to work. Unload thousands of pounds of freight first thing by hand. Run like a maniac on a really heavy route with time commitments pushing you all day. Work reload at night. Walk three miles home. You laugh and snort and scoff all the time but you have no clue as to what I've done or how hard I've worked. And you still haven't addressed the millions of people who work two, even three jobs to support their families. Time crunched all the time and they don't make the money you do. Nor have you addressed the fact that only in the last decade or so have nutritionists and scientists have pieced together exactly what was causing the obesity, heart disease and diabetes epidemics. What are the best diets. A lot of damage was done before we knew better. You just make it personal because of arguments we've had on other subjects.

Last edited:

vantexan

Processed food is cheaper because it's cheaper to produce. It's a proven fact. Americans love cheap and fast.
I got to where I ordered off the Dollar menu because even fast food combos are getting expensive. At any rate, I can rent a $400 apartment here that would cost $1000-$1500 a month or more in the States depending on the city. I have a huge selection of fresh from the field produce at a quarter of what it costs in the States. Fresh meat too. You can get 50 mbps fiber optic internet for $25. 100 for $40. Can eat a restaurant meal with good fresh healthy ingredients for $8 that would cost $20 in the States. $9 buys two evening tickets to the latest Hollywood movies in English in new theaters, even IMAX. Don't need a car, subway and very cheap cabs will get you anywhere. Can travel across the country on a modern Swiss built train for $15. Mountains everywhere, one spectacular chain runs the complete length of the country with peaks up to 18,000'. Or I could come home, hump until I drop dead just to get by.

It will be fine

Behind the wheel? So what? Walk three miles to work. Unload thousands of pounds of freight first thing by hand. Run like a maniac on a really heavy route with time commitments pushing you all day. Work reload at night. Walk three miles home. You laugh and snort and scoff all the time but you have no clue as to what I've done or how hard I've worked. And you still haven't addressed the millions of people who work two, even three jobs to support their families. Time crunched all the time and they don't make the money you do. Nor have you addressed the fact that only in the last decade or so have nutritionists and scientists have pieced together exactly what was causing the obesity, heart disease and diabetes epidemics. What are the best kinds of diets. You just make it personal because of arguments we've had on other subjects.
You make too many excuses. It's called personal responsibility. You don't need a nutritionist to tell you to eat more vegetables. You don't need meat at all, let alone at every meal like many Americans do, that alone will cut down on food costs for a family. This isn't that hard. I hear from my drivers all the time, they complain about being broke but they smoke a pack a day and eat out every meal. People make poor life choices for convenience because it takes effort and willpower to live a healthier life.