New DVIR Procedure

Future

Victory Ride
We turn the book in when it is completed. It is their job to give us a new book. Our night mechanic has been off all week on a doctor's note so I know that I will walk in Monday and not see a new book in the holder.

Why is this so difficult for you to understand?
WE have some great hospitals locally for Brady's broken leg and concussion tomorrow

Coalminer2005

It's not a waste of paper. You know the driver before you didn't have any issues
UPS could find many other ways to save paper .
You will still have the DVIR to review. The only annotations will be deficiencies listed by the driver and corrections made by the mechanics. If you find and issue write it up for correction. Either than that drive on.

Dr.Brownz

Yeah, but in my hub they have still been telling us to fill them out since then!

Yeah UPS had to make sure it was ok with the lawyers first.

We got the new DIAD software that asks if the vehicle needs service and "IF yes".....just a couple weeks ago but apparently none of the sups here know anything about it.

McGee

Starting Monday, we will no longer be required to fill out our DVIR daily unless there is something wrong with the vehicle. Is this everywhere?
Yep, was just informed of it this morning when I needed a new book, mechanic was talking to a sup and the sup knew nothing about it... Guess he hadn't checked his email yet.

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
The FMCSA did make that rule change earlier this year, but UPS continued to make drivers fill them out.

It was coming for UPS to do this, and it looks like it may be starting.

What rule is this you are referring to? I've never heard of this. Signing off the DVIR is part of the DOT pre-trip, and for good reason. Please reference what rule has changed.

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
Never mind, found it. Although this document doesn't have a date to show when, and if, this was ever finalized.

http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/sites/fmcsa.dot.gov/files/docs/Final Rule_DVIR_2_0_09-12-14.pdf

I like in the reasons why the companies wanted this change, was that all of the non-defect DVIR copies could overwhelm the defect DVIR copies. Seems like a simple way to fix that would be only pull a copy when it is a defect DVIR copy. What bothers me about this, is that there are so many lazy people who, for whatever reason, don't want to write up their vehicle when it is needed. I see this a lot. The regular driver gets used to some defect because he doesn't want to write it up and not have his/her regular vehicle the next day, or week. The DVIR is a way of keeping some type of vehicle integrity issue intact.

With these new rules, a driver could think a defect is, "no big deal", out of ignorance, not sign off the DVIR, and not be the next driver to use that vehicle. If the defect was a serious problem, not signing off the DVIR could be a major safety issue for the next driver. Yeah, the original driver could say, "It wasn't a problem when I had it," but I would think a recurring issue would leave signs in or on the vehicle. Not always, maybe, you would imagine in many cases it would. By signing off the non-defect DVIR, at least the problem driver could be held accountable, instead of the driver who had no knowledge of the issue. When the DVIR doesn't get signed off when there is a potential defect, the regular driver could just say, "Hey, anyone could have driven this vehicle." And that could possibly be true, it is less likely when the CVIR gets signed off after EVERY shift.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
I dont feel like reading this whole thread, but this was changed last December. Ups never announced it but i started following the new rules and have maybe written 5 dvirs this year. About time ups starts it.

Dr.Brownz

What rule is this you are referring to? I've never heard of this. Signing off the DVIR is part of the DOT pre-trip, and for good reason. Please reference what rule has changed.

The part where you have to fill out a DVIR on a truck that doesn't need work during the post trip. I saw a news release early this summer and my local UPS management team never said anything, the software just appeared in our DIAD one day.