New DVIR Procedure

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
Did he really say you don't have to check the oil in a P500 because the Vortex engine can run for weeks with no oil in it?
I have found them with none on many occasions and they continued to run. They give you plenty of warning when the oil is low. ie rattling, bouncy pressure gauge.

rod

Retired 22 years
I have found them with none on many occasions and they continued to run. They give you plenty of warning when the oil is low. ie rattling, bouncy pressure gauge.

Amazing---------------------------amazing that is that someone would pass up 30 bucks an hour to skip checking the oil. Anyone who has that little disregard for equipment shouldn't be allowed to drive.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Would this rule go into effect for feeder also?..

Maybe.

According to the DOT, it is no longer required to fill out a DVIR unless there is a problem, for any commercial motor vehicle.

It is the policy of UPS to continue to fill them out at this time.

UPS may still want feeders to fill them out. I don't know. We will see what UPS wants us to do.

Coalminer2005

Maybe.

According to the DOT, it is no longer required to fill out a DVIR unless there is a problem, for any commercial motor vehicle.

It is the policy of UPS to continue to fill them out at this time.

UPS may still want feeders to fill them out. I don't know. We will see what UPS wants us to do.
Negative. The training in the DIAD for UPS package delivery states that the procedure has changed in compliance with the new rules under DOT. I don't know about feeders.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Negative. The training in the DIAD for UPS package delivery states that the procedure has changed in compliance with the new rules under DOT. I don't know about feeders.

Been through this before.

The training in the DIAD says one thing, center manager tells you something different. What do you do?

Personally, I point out to my center manager what the training says and ask him how he wants it done.

I know the training in the DIAD comes from corporate, but do you do what a computer tells you to do or do you do what your center manager tells you to do?

I will continue to fill out the DVIR until I am instructed by my center manager not to, or until he tells me to disregard everything he says that conflicts with the DIAD training.

The biggest issue is how to sheet a damaged package. Every center manager has a different way they want it done. And most ways are not what the training in the DIAD says.

Our jobs would be a lot easier if we just followed corporate training, but the center manager'S keep wanting to fudge the numbers so that they look good.

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
Amazing---------------------------amazing that is that someone would pass up 30 bucks an hour to skip checking the oil. Anyone who has that little disregard for equipment shouldn't be allowed to drive.
That would be about everybody at my center.

P

pickup

Would this rule go into effect for feeder also?..

I wish it would . That way, when the dispatcher get a yellow copy with the key, he should know automatically to put the truck out of service and to not redispatch it. With so many yellow copies floating around, mistakes can be honestly be made. But I highly suspect that sometimes mistakes are made on purpose when a shortage of tractors relative to drivers(this happens especially around peak) is occurring. The dispatcher usually sticks a casual with a truck with a missing mudflap tractor or even worse. The casual is too intimidated to say anything and takes the truck. If something happens, he will hear "didn't you read the DVIR?, why did you take the truck?" . That same driver, had he turned around after reading the DVIR in the truck and went back to dispatch and said "it's written up, can't take it".He will be engaged in a discussion that goes something like this:

Dispatch- What's wrong with it?
Driver- it says low oil,missing mud flap and right front headlight not working.

Dispatch - oh that's good enough to go to the rail yard and once you do the rail, go to the shop and get it fixed". It's a stupid game . Safety first?? Only when no one else is in the race.

I know companies like schneider have their drivers do their dvirs on the computer. The same computer that has their hours of service logs. Gee, we have an ivis that keeps our hours of service, you think maybe we could do a dvir on that as well. The Dot allows Schneider to do it. And it would be great if that created a computerized list of tractors to take out of service Ahh, but that would eliminate the plausibility deniability on the part of dispatchers.

MaceFremonti

They have been mornings where I have written up multiple tractors for some pretty serious issues...the conversation with my dispatch is almost word for word like the one above.

I don't budge though. My record for having to wait for a tractor that passed my pretrip is four hours.

First three tractors were no good and there were no others. First inbound tractor that was ours came in about three hours later.

Then later that day they had to come pick me up because I hit 14 hours....10 miles from the building.

:cool:

P

pickup

They have been mornings where I have written up multiple tractors for some pretty serious issues...the conversation with my dispatch is almost word for word like the one above.

I don't budge though. My record for having to wait for a tractor that passed my pretrip is four hours.

First three tractors were no good and there were no others. First inbound tractor that was ours came in about three hours later.

Then later that day they had to come pick me up because I hit 14 hours....10 miles from the building.

:cool:

I've been through that situation as well. I do a pre trip and see antifreeze leaking at a slow but constant rate. I got a four hour ride ahead of me and I walk back with the truck written up and I get the biggest stink eye from dispatch. They should be thanking me , not acting like I screwed up their whole day.

They say it's a "hot" load as if that should somehow negate the fact that the tractor has an antifreeze leak. I wish they would have a more long term look like I don't know maybe a 2 and 1/2 hour horizon . Maybe they can come to the conclusion that the tractor will either overheat or shut down on the highway and that "hot" load will get awfully cold while I wait for a mechanic for 2 or more hours.

I do stand my ground as well because had I taken the tractor and it did break down in that fashion, then I wouldn't have much ground to stand on at all.

Last edited by a moderator: