New England Driver's Helpers, Did You Get Your Raise?

J

JonFrum

For years, Driver's Helpers in New England only got a pitiful $9.50 per hour. Now that the New Contract is fully ratified, current UPS part-time employees who also were Driver's Helpers should have received $11.00 per hour as of the moment the New Contract was ratified. I assume the day of ratification was Wednesday, December 19, 2007, but I don't know for sure.

The $11.00 rate only applies to current part-time employees, not those hired off the street. I'd like to know if UPS is honoring the new Contract by actually paying the higher rate. Anyone know if anyone in New England actually got the higher rate for those last few days of Peak?

If the Helper rate was increased in any other Supplements, did those Helpers actually receive the higher rate? Inquiring minds want to know.

- - - - -
New England Supplement:
Article 67 – Wages and Allowances
Section 5 – Helpers
New Language: "Current part-time employees used to supplement helper needs will be paid $11.00 per hour for hours worked."

raceanoncr

For years, Driver's Helpers in New England only got a pitiful $9.50 per hour. Now that the New Contract is fully ratified, current UPS part-time employees who also were Driver's Helpers should have received $11.00 per hour as of the moment the New Contract was ratified. I assume the day of ratification was Wednesday, December 19, 2007, but I don't know for sure.

The $11.00 rate only applies to current part-time employees, not those hired off the street. I'd like to know if UPS is honoring the new Contract by actually paying the higher rate. Anyone know if anyone in New England actually got the higher rate for those last few days of Peak?

If the Helper rate was increased in any other Supplements, did those Helpers actually receive the higher rate? Inquiring minds want to know.

- - - - -
New England Supplement:
Section 5 – Helpers
New Language: "Current part-time employees used to supplement helper needs will be paid $11.00 per hour for hours worked."

Hmmm...good point. I don't have a copy of our supplement but in Art 45 of Master, "Duration", it DOES state that "This agreement shall be in full force and effect from ratification of this Agreement (bold and underlined theirs) to and including July 31, 2013..."

If your supplement and master was ratified on this date, then it appears you are correct. Then again, who's gonna challenge it? Helpers are gone, right? Is anybody gonna tell em?

IDoLessWorkThanMost

Hmmm...good point. I don't have a copy of our supplement but in Art 45 of Master, "Duration", it DOES state that "This agreement shall be in full force and effect from ratification of this Agreement (bold and underlined theirs) to and including July 31, 2013..."

If your supplement and master was ratified on this date, then it appears you are correct. Then again, who's gonna challenge it? Helpers are gone, right? Is anybody gonna tell em?

No, helpers up here in New england are hired right out of the building ( local sort, preload, etc) as well as off the street. The ones still on payroll and working part-time apparently should get 11/hr for those hours worked after December 19th.

Honestly, I doubt UPS will ever own up to this end of the bargain unless really pushed to do so. Cannot tell you how many people I've trained in 6+ years and never recieved my .50 cents/hr, for example. Sometimes you have to pick your fights, what's really important to you...

J

JonFrum

No, helpers up here in New england are hired right out of the building ( local sort, preload, etc) as well as off the street. The ones still on payroll and working part-time apparently should get 11/hr for those hours worked after December 19th.

Honestly, I doubt UPS will ever own up to this end of the bargain unless really pushed to do so. Cannot tell you how many people I've trained in 6+ years and never recieved my .50 cents/hr, for example. Sometimes you have to pick your fights, what's really important to you...

IDLWTM,

To get the extra fifty cents you must be "certified" as a trainer by attending Training School and meeting other qualifications. It's not enough that you trained someone, even at the informal request of a supervisor. Did you actually get certified like New England Supplement Article 72 requires? If so, you should file a grievance.

I've never heard of a Training School being held. I don't know of any Trainers. So I'm wondering if anyone knows if the Training Program has ever even been implimented. I'm not saying I'm for it or against it. I'd just like to know if the contractual language is being implimented, or is it just for show.

IDoLessWorkThanMost

IDLWTM,

To get the extra fifty cents you must be "certified" as a trainer by attending Training School and meeting other qualifications. It's not enough that you trained someone, even at the informal request of a supervisor. Did you actually get certified like New England Supplement Article 72 requires? If so, you should file a grievance.

I've never heard of a Training School being held. I don't know of any Trainers. So I'm wondering if anyone knows if the Training Program has ever even been implimented. I'm not saying I'm for it or against it. I'd just like to know if the contractual language is being implimented, or is it just for show.

Good question. I was never trained as a 'certified trainer'. I did't know of the training school, and my handbook is @ shop (2002 one). Anyway, it's likely just for show, but I don't know for sure, either. Regardless, if it's an informal request of a supervisor to train someone(s), is this regarded as something i can deny? Or WAD? It's imporant to know because of something that's going on right now at my job.

J

JonFrum

Good question. I was never trained as a 'certified trainer'. I did't know of the training school, and my handbook is @ shop (2002 one). Anyway, it's likely just for show, but I don't know for sure, either. Regardless, if it's an informal request of a supervisor to train someone(s), is this regarded as something i can deny? Or WAD? It's imporant to know because of something that's going on right now at my job.

IDLWTM,

Training others is not part of your job. Somewhere there is a written description of your job, and I doubt that training is listed as one of your job requirements. I think you can refuse to train, but I would definately check with your steward and Business Agent first. On any issue, no matter how right you are, there's always a 50/50 chance they won't back you up. Then you'll be open to a charge of insubordination or wilful "failure to follow" a direct order. The workplace is, by law, a dictatorship! You are obligated to follow almost any order, even one that violates the Contract, unless it is clearly illegal or unsafe. The general rule, as Teamster officials love to say, is "work now, grieve later."

Some would say even the official training program is an inappropriate idea because it may lead to bargaining unit members acting like management and becoming involved in evaluating other members, possibly for discipline, and identifying too much with the "other side." Solidarity may suffer. There's also a requirement in the Teamsters Constitution that forbids a member from harming another member.

IDoLessWorkThanMost

Unfortunately, the supervisor(s) trained me to train others. I really don't feel like I should be training anyone with only 1.5 years in the position I'm at. Plus, I'm only a 22.3 inside-outside. Also, 22.3's inside-out aren't supposed to be handling any money or etc which is directed by LP. This isn't the case and I'm inside-inside handling money every day ( basicaly running a counter) instead of inside-out!

Regardless, I view the drivers helpers as SOL unless they really want to fight for the money. Yes, I suppose the financial end of the new contract is in effect, but I'd be damned if anyone actually got that money without a hell of a fight. Then, expect the big kick me [X] on your back for a long time after grieving.

J

JonFrum

Unfortunately, the supervisor(s) trained me to train others. I really don't feel like I should be training anyone with only 1.5 years in the position I'm at. Plus, I'm only a 22.3 inside-outside. Also, 22.3's inside-out aren't supposed to be handling any money or etc which is directed by LP. This isn't the case and I'm inside-inside handling money every day ( basicaly running a counter) instead of inside-out!

Regardless, I view the drivers helpers as SOL unless they really want to fight for the money. Yes, I suppose the financial end of the new contract is in effect, but I'd be damned if anyone actually got that money without a hell of a fight. Then, expect the big kick me [X] on your back for a long time after grieving.

IDLWTM,

When you read Article 72 on Monday, you'll see that Training is a voluntary position you sign-up for, that generally, full-timers train only full-timers, and part-timers train only part-timers, that you can only train within your Article 22.3 classification, that you can always resign after one year as a trainer, and that you get the extra 50 cents for the whole day if you train for any part of the day.

tieguy

Banned

- - - - -
New England Supplement:
Section 5 – Helpers

:happy-very::happy-very::happy-very:

Babagounj

Strength through joy
Unfortunately, the supervisor(s) trained me to train others. I really don't feel like I should be training anyone with only 1.5 years in the position I'm at.
What they have no one else available to teach ?
Don't you care to help your new co-worker(s) ?
Heck with 1.5 yrs in , you have more knowledge & skills than any sup.

J

JonFrum

I'm also wondering if any full-time job vacancies have been posted for bid. The New England Supplement now has the following new language:
Article 57 – Seniority, Section 2 – Bidding
(3). Any job vacancies created by retirement, termination, or voluntary resignation, or any other permanent job opening or permanent vacancy between the posting of the [now biannual bidding] schedule shall be posted for all qualified full-time seniority employees in the local unions jurisdiction in conjunction with Local Union practice. The job selection procedures shall be limited to three (3). The bids and such moves shall be completed within 45 days. Should a fourth (4) move result, such move shall be filled by the Employer.

Temporary vacancies created by long-term injury or illness shall be filled by the method agreed to by the Company and the Local Union.

Is the company posting these jobs? The new proceedure allows up to three people to improve their situation as the result of a vacancy; and unlike the annual bid, it doesn't involve bumping anyone out of their job!

IWorkAsDirected

Outa browns on 04/30/09
i'm not sure why this original post was being discussed. only the non-monetary aspects of the new contract are in force before aug 1st right

J

JonFrum

i'm not sure why this original post was being discussed. only the non-monetary aspects of the new contract are in force before aug 1st right

The Contract went into effect on (or about) December 19, 2007, and some people seem not to realize it. Every clause is in force, but some clauses have specific language that delays their actual implementation date. The general wage increases, for example, are delayed until August 1, February 1, etc. The Driver's Helper raise for existing New England part-timers, like most of the contract, should have gone into effect "Upon Ratification," (Dec. 19, 2007.)