New Feeder Driver Questions

Adam112

Hi all. I am looking at a possible job offer for a feeder driver position in either Harrisburg or Carlisle. Any info y’all can provide would be very much appreciated. I was told the pay progression starts at $21/hr, which is a substantial pay cut for me if there’s no overtime. I’m under the impression that new feeder drivers are basically just on-call every day? Does this mean I could see a 60 hour week, but also a 28 hour week? Also, you are a member of the union day 1? How much are dues nowadays? I haven’t been a teamster since 2010.
I have plenty of OTR experience, and wish I would have made this switch ten years ago, but the early phase of the job terrifies me. Long term, it seems about as good as it gets. ANY advice, input or opinions, again, are very much appreciated

Indecisi0n

You are all call pretty much everyday
You could see 60 hours a week but you could also see 0 hours a week (work dependant)
You are not a member from day one unless you are a permanent hire off the street (its rare). Normally you start as a temp/casual/seasonal.
yes, I am a mod

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Yes you will be on call initially. As far as I know the building in Carlisle is just used for peak so if you're working there it's probably seasonal. UPS is planning to build a new super hub in Harrisburg though so this is probably a good time to get into feeders in that area.

Adam112

She did say it was a permanent FT position. I was very specific with asking her that. I declined a seasonal job last winter. Got it pretty good where I’m at, but this has been a long-term goal of mine for years. Can you guys walk me through the pay progression? She said $21 to start to $37 after 4 years. I’m guessing there is yearly raises?

Indecisi0n

She did say it was a permanent FT position. I was very specific with asking her that. I declined a seasonal job last winter. Got it pretty good where I’m at, but this has been a long-term goal of mine for years. Can you guys walk me through the pay progression? She said $21 to start to $37 after 4 years. I’m guessing there is yearly raises?
They don't just decide to hire you full time . There is a order in which off the street people can be hired . You better make sure she isn't lying to you. They lie to all the new guys this time of year .

A good indicator of her lying to you is saying you are on call. Full time drivers aren't on call ever . We are guaranteed our hours no matter if they have work or not .

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
They don't just decide to hire you full time . There is a order in which off the street people can be hired . You better make sure she isn't lying to you. They lie to all the new guys this time of year .

A good indicator of her lying to you is saying you are on call. Full time drivers aren't on call ever . We are guaranteed our hours no matter if they have work or not .
Not true, depends on your supplement. Harrisburg has plenty of FT feeder drivers who work on call.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
That's a pretty weak supplement. Are you telling me your FT drivers aren't guaranteed 40 hours a week?
Not my supplement, but it's a much stronger supplement than yours as far as seniority protection goes, for starters they don't have classification seniority. All FT drivers are guaranteed 40 hours/week. A lot of senior drivers choose to stay on call because they like the flexibility.

Johney

Not true, depends on your supplement. Harrisburg has plenty of FT feeder drivers who work on call.
I talk to a guy pretty much every night outta Ohio he gets called everyday with a handful of routes to run(his choice)he can take one or pass on all and not work.

Mack37

I would think if it were seasonal they wouldn’t be offering $21 an hour to start. All the seasonal feeder jobs in Illinois and Indiana are at least $30 an hour.

If I remember correctly, all the low guys at cach are on call so I’m sure it happens elsewhere.

Yeet

Not gonna let ‘em catch the Midnight Rider
I would think if it were seasonal they wouldn’t be offering $21 an hour to start. All the seasonal feeder jobs in Illinois and Indiana are at least $30 an hour.

If I remember correctly, all the low guys at cach are on call so I’m sure it happens elsewhere.
They start our cover drivers at $31 here. I’ve never seen a seasonal feeder driver.

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
If you were a Teamster in 2010 , I hope you got a withdrawal card , you won’t have to pay initiation fee again , I believe

Emmit23

Casuals are never on call either! They are guaranteed at least 40!