New Ford PCs

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
Yup, he also was some sort of contractor for the USMC in another thread where he claimed to be paid over 100k a year with access to a private plane and could pick his missions. So of course he comes to UPS and pushes cardboard at 10 bucks a hour for a little while and then one day remembers....

OMG... I forgot I have this fancy degree.. I can get a job that starts at 190k a year with full benefits and have a 19 year old girl get me coffee.

So now he is gone...
Is his wife Morgan Fairchild? Yeah....that's the ticket.

Maplewood

My has only 5000+ .miles on it and you can hear the front brake caliper pistons grinding at slow or stop and go speeds. Thank god I always have earbuds in. Our mechanic wont fix :censored2: till the rotors are screeching metal to metal.

Redtag

Part on order, ok to drive
My has only 5000+ .miles on it and you can hear the front brake caliper pistons grinding at slow or stop and go speeds. Thank god I always have earbuds in. Our mechanic wont fix :censored2: till the rotors are screeching metal to metal.

Your mechanic does not want to replace the pads because they probably have lots of life left... they are just noisy.

For the caliper pistons to be contacting the rotor it would not only have to have worn the pad away but the backing plate part of the pad would have had to fall out. If that happened the pistons would be extended to the point that you would likely be leaking brake fluid

Lol I have seen people nurse a car or truck back in like that before but you would have little to no brakes and the grinding would be constant.

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
It's just noise. I have tried everything at my disposal to stop squealing, and nothing works that lasts any time. Grinding is something else entirely.

My 20 year old Dakota is completely rustfree. (WASHINGTON)

I have never been to Washington but spent some time in California and all the Washington vehicles I saw were rust free. Do they salt the hell out of the roads there? From what I understand it does not snow that much up there.

Speaking of the west coast. First time I wrenched on a true never seen a northeast road CA vehicle I was so amazed I brought other mechanics over to look at how easy everything was to remove. It was a 20 year old Astro van a friend brought back from the Bay Area. Looked like a 1 year old New England car underneath.

Seriously made me consider moving.

Up here in the northeast what kills our cars is the constant freeze/thaw cycles. If it stayed frozen it would be easier on the cars, They have to salt the hell out of the roads here because of it.

The Fords have the oil drains and filters located right over the front axle. Somebody should have been fired for that.

Yeah... I hate that, makes a mess

There is a trick to it. If you can find the part number for those white funnels we could get from MDC get one. The sit perfect between the axle and the tie rod. Plenty of room to get to the plug and no mess.

opey

we got a few new PC's in the last couple of months, none of which have anything resembling a ford van dash.. i think they are workhorse or freightliner.. they are all gasoline and all of them have the same dash as the other gas pc's. the differences they do have is better lighting inside, rear lighting outside above the rear door, different rear bumper with no side rails/springs, different mechanism for pulling the BH door open, grip treads on the steps, different front end. oh and working heat and no antifreeze leaks

My 20 year old Dakota is completely rustfree. (WASHINGTON)

I have never been to Washington but spent some time in California and all the Washington vehicles I saw were rust free. Do they salt the hell out of the roads there? From what I understand it does not snow that much up there.

Speaking of the west coast. First time I wrenched on a true never seen a northeast road CA vehicle I was so amazed I brought other mechanics over to look at how easy everything was to remove. It was a 20 year old Astro van a friend brought back from the Bay Area. Looked like a 1 year old New England car underneath.

Seriously made me consider moving.

Up here in the northeast what kills our cars is the constant freeze/thaw cycles. If it stayed frozen it would be easier on the cars, They have to salt the hell out of the roads here because of it.

The Fords have the oil drains and filters located right over the front axle. Somebody should have been fired for that.

Yeah... I hate that, makes a mess

Your mechanic does not want to replace the pads because they probably have lots of life left... they are just noisy.

For the caliper pistons to be contacting the rotor it would not only have to have worn the pad away but the backing plate part of the pad would have had to fall out. If that happened the pistons would be extended to the point that you would likely be leaking brake fluid

Lol I have seen people nurse a car or truck back in like that before but you would have little to no brakes and the grinding would be constant.

The inner shoe can fall out of place. We’ve seen it happen. Mud build up cause the caliper to hang letting the pistons fully extend. The inner shoes wear twice as fast as the outer so once the piston stopped making contact the pad just bounced around and dropped down.

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
The inner shoe can fall out of place. We’ve seen it happen. Mud build up cause the caliper to hang letting the pistons fully extend. The inner shoes wear twice as fast as the outer so once the piston stopped making contact the pad just bounced around and dropped down.
That much mud?...on a P8? I only see that sort of thing on 7s and less going out to BFE on dirt roads.

Redtag

Part on order, ok to drive

Yeah, we had something like that happen to one of ours but I doubt his mechanic would see that and not fix it.

Especially at 5k miles

Probably just noisy and annoying to drive, I don’t blame the driver for writing it and don’t blame the mechanic for not having the time to address it.

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
Newer Freightliners are getting to the point where the pins are seizing and one pad drags. Pull them for lube and cleaning with pad changes now.