New GPS Time Study: What they are not telling you

UnconTROLLed

perfection
I don't know what your problem is. You asked a question and I gave you an answer. The only time we have issues with PAL labels is when the SPA guy gets out of synch--other than that, PAS/EDD has been a success in my center and I am a much more efficient driver as a result.

I can assure you that, yes, most preloaders and drivers are slightly more efficient because of PAS, however I can assure you that your building is also the exception and not the rule as far as ONLY having out of synchs as the only issue. I have worked in 3 buildings , all fairly unique, and every one has PAS issues very regularly such as NDA's in the wrong section, bulk stops on top shelves, poorly designed numbering relative to work on truck (3000-4000 are stuffed full while 5000-6000 are completely empty).....there's just tons wrong with the system, more than the SPA guy or gal going out of synch.

Also, if it hasn't happened yet, eventually your building will be switching over to the portable hand imprint scanners that most other buildings are now using. Wait 'till your sort, preloader and yourself are dealing with those.....your centers misloads will go off the charts despite having less decap, bad pals/out of synchs, etc.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
........... PAS/EDD has been a success in my center and I am a much more efficient driver as a result.

The best analogy I can think of for the success of PAS/EDD in my center....is that we went from driving an old Pinto to a new Corvette. The only problem is, IE wanted to implement the program "on the cheap" so they pulled the rims and tires and brakes off of the old Pinto and installed them onto our new Corvette in order to save money. The result? With PAS/EDD we have one helluva nice car and we are certainly able to go "faster" than before....but we are all over the road with serious control issues and frequent trips into the ditch. And the bean counters from Corporate who are pushing our gas pedal to the floor just cant understand why we arent able to get to the finish line as fast as they think we should.

pretzel_man

Pretzel_Man:

On the issue of PDF/TSO adds can you please be more specific. How much time is granted for these and who decides when and how much to add?

Sig... I honestly do not know the amount of PDF today. Many, many years ago, I got certified in doing original time studies. We got a "blue card". Not many people had those. Back then, PDF was 15%.

The way it worked was this. If we did an original time study and came up with an allowance to do a task that shold take 30 minutes, we would add 15% extra time. In essence, we would add an additional 4.5 minutes.

At the time, PDF was just the standard practice we were told. I do not remember if it was a standard taught by the world in general of if it was UPS specific.

Did that answer your question?

P-Man

pretzel_man

Lets make it simple.... What program has the information we can request to verify these G.P.S. points are accurate? If you do not know that, you do not have the ability to judge the accuracy of a time study. That goes for supervisors, stewards and drivers, I think the joke is on us (supervisors, stewards and drivers) and the higher ups are laughing. I though you could go up the chain of command to get this information at U.P.S. but really we are all in the dark....

The data is all stored in a time study program in the district. The data is easily audited. This is much better than the old method. In the past, the observer entered an entry and there was no way to go back to source information.

Find your I.E. manager and ask to see it. If I were the I.E. manager I would be happy to show you.

P-Man

bumped

The data is all stored in a time study program in the district. The data is easily audited. This is much better than the old method. In the past, the observer entered an entry and there was no way to go back to source information.

Find your I.E. manager and ask to see it. If I were the I.E. manager I would be happy to show you.

P-Man

I wish you were my I.E. manager.

pretzel_man

When I was in a district I.E. role, I used to teach work measurement to the union. (not on company time....)

I found it very helpful. I'm not a labor guy, and this was a long time ago but I don't think it should be secret.

P-Man

LagunaBrown

the-wonderful-wizard-of-oz-1.jpg
I have never met the I.E. Manager but I think he looks like this.
the-wonderful-wizard-of-oz-1.jpg

LagunaBrown

P-Man

How come nobody knows what program? Does it really exist? I have tried to set up meetings with the I.E guy but he is never around.... Avoiding someone is a red flag........

This thread should of been locked 10 pages ago. Nobody with any sense cares about your time studies that you alter daily based on the total volume. The union doesn't recognize your time measurements and anyone worth their salt will tell you just that to your face in the AM. Even if the union did back your time measurements you guys would make it into a dishonest adventure just like you do now with OJS rides. You add/cut sections to remove miles, bulk, airs to inflate the SPORH and the person doing the OJS is up there massaging your load for an hour before you get in the building. UPS isn't interested in a fair days work and they never have been -- they are dishonest thieves who would steal from their own mother.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

This thread should of been locked 10 pages ago. Nobody with any sense cares about your time studies that you alter daily based on the total volume. The union doesn't recognize your time measurements and anyone worth their salt will tell you just that to your face in the AM. Even if the union did back your time measurements you guys would make it into a dishonest adventure just like you do now with OJS rides. You add/cut sections to remove miles, bulk, airs to inflate the SPORH and the person doing the OJS is up there massaging your load for an hour before you get in the building. UPS isn't interested in a fair days work and they never have been -- they are dishonest thieves who would steal from their own mother.

Yet another addition to the "Advice Not to Follow" file.

The file is starting to get full.

browniehound

Yes, me too. Actually, based on every post I've ever read from "Pretzel Man", I would like to vote (If I could) him as CEO.

Also, P-man, may I ask how it became that you are referred to as "Pretzel Man".

I understand its just a nickname and a trivial matter. I also understand it might be a personal question, but I was just curious because your posts are so enlightening and interesting, I wanted a little info on "the most interesting man on BC".

"I don't always drink beer, but when I do, I prefer Dos Equis. Be thirsty my friends"-From the beer comericial starring: "The most interesting man in the world".

sendagain

If the studies were fair, then there would not be a continual disappearing of allowance over the years, making it nearly impossible to make incentive pay. Combine that with the extra weight that has been added since packages could not weigh more than 50lbs, nor 100lbs as an aggregate shipment, and you are working your tail off for a standard that used to give you incentive pay. I'm glad to have gotten out as soon as I could with my body intact.

pretzel_man

Yes, me too. Actually, based on every post I've ever read from "Pretzel Man", I would like to vote (If I could) him as CEO.

Also, P-man, may I ask how it became that you are referred to as "Pretzel Man".

I understand its just a nickname and a trivial matter. I also understand it might be a personal question, but I was just curious because your posts are so enlightening and interesting, I wanted a little info on "the most interesting man on BC".

"I don't always drink beer, but when I do, I prefer Dos Equis. Be thirsty my friends"-From the beer comericial starring: "The most interesting man in the world".

Hi Brownie....

Pickup guessed the answer a while ago. I was amazed that he figured it out.

It is from a song by Harry Chapin. Its about a guy "Pretzel Man" who has nothing to his name. He works all day selling pretzels in the park, but...

He loves his family, he works hard, gives to charity and is very happy. He found the meaning of life and it is not in material things. I strive to be like that man.

P-Man

browniehound

It is from a song by Harry Chapin. Its about a guy "Pretzel Man" who has nothing to his name. He works all day selling pretzels in the park, but...

He loves his family, he works hard, gives to charity and is very happy. He found the meaning of life and it is not in material things. I strive to be like that man.

P-Man

Thank you P-Man,

Is it from the same Harry Chapin that sings about himself being a taxi driver (and nothing to his name) and picking up a wealthy woman from his past that may or may not recognize him at first? They go on to say a word to each other and leave it at that?

I don't know the 'Pretzel Man' song but will seek it out now. I would like to strive to be that man also now. Thanks for your response and I look forward to hearing/reading you in the future.

Browniehound

P

pickup

Hi Brownie....

Pickup guessed the answer a while ago. I was amazed that he figured it out.

P-Man

this person does Chapin covers. He did the pretzel man song, not one of his best covers but at least he tried.

[video=youtube;EOsuRJHAaLw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EOsuRJHAaLw[/video]

MSGTDEL

"They were also training me to enter air packages prior to making it to the stop to make commit."

It's funny that you said that, I got fired over that. Dishonesty, they called it.

MSGTDEL

A driver putting out his normal effort can look like a stud and command a cavalcade of high fives from management if he is underallowed one day.
That same driver maybe on the same route or a different route but putting out the same effort can then come in overallowed and all of the sudden he is a turd that is stealing from the company and needs to be disciplined.

This is reality. That is why drivers don't trust the time studies or anyone in IE.

Im glad Im not a part this madness any more!!!

brownrod

Our center got new time studies finally. All of our routes gained time except 1 that I know of (that route you could bonus 2-3 hours per day on - it lost time).

Previously, there were 2 routes I could bonus on and most routes I was 1-2 hours over. Since the new time studies I've made bonus every day I've worked except one. That day I did a new route cold and was .2 over.

Some routes that were ultra hard and impossible back in the day are now ultra easy and you can bonus over an hour no problem.

It's like night and day. Our old time studies were ancient and bonus was rare. Now I think the time studies are lop sided in the drivers favor (on all the routes I know). Definitely a happier driver now.

Routes that would have 140 stops before now have 100 stops and you are done in 8.5 hours with bonus! (we are talking ultra rural routes with 100 miles plus driving)

I would go as far to say that some of these routes now are a joke they are so easy.

over9five

Staff member
Our center got new time studies finally. All of our routes gained time except 1 that I know of (that route you could bonus 2-3 hours per day on - it lost time).

Previously, there were 2 routes I could bonus on and most routes I was 1-2 hours over. Since the new time studies I've made bonus every day I've worked except one. That day I did a new route cold and was .2 over.

Some routes that were ultra hard and impossible back in the day are now ultra easy and you can bonus over an hour no problem.

It's like night and day. Our old time studies were ancient and bonus was rare. Now I think the time studies are lop sided in the drivers favor (on all the routes I know). Definitely a happier driver now.

Routes that would have 140 stops before now have 100 stops and you are done in 8.5 hours with bonus! (we are talking ultra rural routes with 100 miles plus driving)

I would go as far to say that some of these routes now are a joke they are so easy.

So obviously this means your center had to add several routes and several drivers??? I mean, you use one example of a route going out 40 stops less. Where did the 40 stops go?

Tell us more, this sounds like a really good thing if we're adding drivers!