New members - Commonly asked questions.

marshll47

Driver helper tips?

I am a seasonal helper and I was wondering what drivers look for?

And also is there somewhere I can get a UPS rain jacket?

gregdutchmol

First day on the job.

So after waiting for three weeks after my orientation, I got the call today. My driver was awesome. He said the last driver helper didn't work out so he needed a new one. A few questions.

1. In this area(North Georgia Mountains, considered remote), there is about 2-3 drivers per city. These cities are all relatively small and close together. He says that he is the only driver in the area with a driver helper. Is there any particular reason for this? Is it because they can not find helpers or is it something about his work?

2. Today he asked his sup to let me work the full shift and tomorrow he wants me to help him load the truck in the AM and work the whole shift again. He says normally driver helpers only work 4-5 hours at this time but he likes me. Is helping load the truck a normal thing for a driver helper? I imagined that it is just riding with them for a few hours and dropping off boxes.

THANKS!!

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Re: First day on the job.

So after waiting for three weeks after my orientation, I got the call today. My driver was awesome. He said the last driver helper didn't work out so he needed a new one. A few questions.

1. In this area(North Georgia Mountains, considered remote), there is about 2-3 drivers per city. These cities are all relatively small and close together. He says that he is the only driver in the area with a driver helper. Is there any particular reason for this? Is it because they can not find helpers or is it something about his work?

2. Today he asked his sup to let me work the full shift and tomorrow he wants me to help him load the truck in the AM and work the whole shift again. He says normally driver helpers only work 4-5 hours at this time but he likes me. Is helping load the truck a normal thing for a driver helper? I imagined that it is just riding with them for a few hours and dropping off boxes.

THANKS!!

​Pottery Barn

oldngray

nowhere special

THANKS!!

North Georgia is one few places where you can actually deliver in Clarkesville.
(My great-grandmother lived there).

Maybe you are a good worker and he likes you. Because you make a good team. Good helpers are hard to find and when you do find one hang on to him/her. The worse is yet to come.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

THANKS!!

1) There are delivery areas where using a helper makes sense and others where it does not.

2) Helping the driver load his pkg car is not a normal thing for a driver helper----why would UPS pay two of you to do the job of one person? Now, he may ask you to meet him at the bldg and ride with him for the whole day.

3) If you are looking for more hours you can let your helper coordinator know and she may assign you to two different drivers.

oldngray

nowhere special

1) There are delivery areas where using a helper makes sense and others where it does not.

The problem is UPS refuses to admit that on some routes a helper is of little use and still bump up the stop count by at least 50%. And force those drivers to have a helper even if it is a waste of time and money.

upschuck

I was forced to take a helper one year when I was on rural route, 2 big loops out into the county, one that had a couple of small pockets of res. I told them once that it would do me no good to use one, they said the route was planned to have one so I took one. Probably saved me about 10 minutes for about 4-5 hrs work, but had a good time talking with the guy the rest of peak. Mgmt is not a two year old, I tell them once.

upschuck

Why are these posts getting mixed up? I responded to the "First day on job" thread and it gets put in "New members" thread, and now both threads seem to have combined.

ZwergK

Hey, I have a question about phones. I understand that cell phones are not allowed inside the warehouse. If I'm using a transportation service to get to work (I don't have a car, don't know how to drive) I won't be able to leave my cell phone in the car. Is there a phone for employees to use, so I'd be able to call my ride?

upschuck

Different buildings have different rules about cell phones, mine let them in. Management should not have a problem with you using their phone to call for a ride home.

Michalzpl

Sky Soldiers!
You guys probably get this a lot, well what am I saying, of course you do, the newbies post everything here. lol
What does a Air Ramp Person do? I recently applied, did the fingerprints and now just standing by. Till then, I think I can learn a thing or two from the experienced men and women of this company.
Oh, I have applied at the Ontario West Hub. So if anyone works there and has other insight, that would be grateful.

cheryl

I started this.
Staff member
You guys probably get this a lot, well what am I saying, of course you do, the newbies post everything here. lol
What does a Air Ramp Person do? I recently applied, did the fingerprints and now just standing by. Till then, I think I can learn a thing or two from the experienced men and women of this company.
Oh, I have applied at the Ontario West Hub. So if anyone works there and has other insight, that would be grateful.
Hello and welcome.

You'll find several mentions of Air Ramp jobs if you use the search function here. Here are a couple of threads I found where Air Ramp jobs are discussed:

http://www.browncafe.com/community/threads/air-handler-ramp-work-whats-the-real-story.335037/

http://www.browncafe.com/community/threads/what-are-the-duties-of-an-air-ramp-handler.354754/

Michalzpl

Sky Soldiers!